Consumer Reviews of Heat Transfer Products furnaces

Read more about Heat Transfer Products furnaces

Date created: 2012-12-31 Name: L. Overland
Location: Montana

"NEVER Purchase Anything Made by Munchkin!"
Do yourself a big favor and never buy one of these. It may work for a year or two, but then things start to go downhill - fast! In the last six months I've spent about $1600 trying to fix this train wreck of a boiler. So far, nothing has worked. It still errors out quite frequently. This is especially distressing when out of town during cold months. It's essential that a friend come by every couple of days to make sure it's working. I was recently out of town for 9 days. It failed twice during that time and had to be reset. And this is not just a fluke. Our entire group of condos is rife with these types of problems. One of our neighbors had to essentially rebuild his entire home because it failed; the pipes froze, and then leaked profusely when things warmed up. He came home to a ceiling collapsed on his dining room table and entire walls, upstairs and down, irreparably water damaged. This boiler is no good!

Date created: 2012-09-29 Name: K C
Location: PA

"What a pice of junk"
Munchin 140mlp 05/04 has a bad heat exchanger after 8 years this is bad for the customer. I just went to clean the unit and found the unit spraying water out of the heat exchager. Very poorly built units and I will not put other unit in for a customer.

Date created: 2012-02-28 Name: DCSHAW
Location: BOSTON MA

"another 1000.00 repair bill today"
It seems like we all have the same complaints.... again, replaced parts today that were replace twice already! Aaaaaggggghhhhhh.... I could have bought a new one with all these repair bills. Seriously.... do not buy this brand! Horrible!!!!!!

Date created: 2012-01-16 Name: Susan
Location: Green Brook, NJ

"Piece of Crap"
This is the worst product on the market. We have had the manufacturer, engineers from the Peerless company and a service person here at least 3 to 4 times a year since we purchased it. I know way too much terminology for this P.O.C. I.E. swirl plate, expansion tanks, ignitor,F1 f9 etc. More than any homeowner should know. It has made bullhorn sounds that have vibrated our neighborhood, it fails every year and we do have it serviced. Today is one of the coldest days of the season and its broken again. No one wants to deal with it anymore, and we know we have to replaced it!!!!! We have spent thousands of dollars on it already. a class action suit should be levied on the Manufacturer of this P.O.C.!!!! If anyone out there in New Jersey knows of a great product to replace this one let us know!!!! Susan Green Brook, NJ

Date created: 2012-01-05 Name: K. Reis
Location: York, PA

"Pure Crap!!"
We have had nothing but problems with the Munchkin furnace...we converted from steam heat to hot water and our plumber highly recommended this system....we are never sure how long it's going to run before we have to try to fix and reset the damn thing...F9, F10, and f11 problems. If we hadn't watched and learned what to do, the repair costs would have put us in the poor house. As it is, we may end up buying a new furnace. If it says Munchkin on it....RUN!!!!!

Date created: 2011-11-30 Name: cher
Location: southern mn

"nothing but trouble"
This stupid unit was installed in 2004 and has needed multiple repairs every year. What a hunk of junk! How did this thing ever make it onto the market? After the first 2 or 3 years we got sick of having it fixed all the time, so we insisted on a whole new Munchkin unit, and that one has been just as bad as the first. Every Fall, when it's time to get the heat going, we have to go through the routine of realizing that it isn't working right (again), calling the service guy, having to wait some days for parts while our house is chilly, then have it repaired, which may not work, bringing us back to square one, or it may last a while. If we're really lucky, it'll work for the rest of winter, but guaranteed, it's going to break down again too soon. We've had to have it fix at least once a year since we've gotten it. i'd never buy anything made by this company again.

Date created: 2011-09-07 Name: Stephan Wilkinson
Location: Cornwall-on-Hudson,NY

"Seems OK if you know what you're doing..."
Okay, it's true, this furnace does kick off maybe every six months and needs resetting. I had it happen once because of a tiny loose nut that got into the impeller area and broke up the swirl plate. I replaced the swirl plate myself (I'm a freelance writer, not a plumber), and the unit appears quite simple, when I got it apart. Another error code a year later, "exceeded high limit." Pushed the reset button and it worked fine. Another error code soon after that, "NC," which is unlisted in the installation-and-maintenance manual but I assume means "No Code." Reset did nothing, so I cycled the circuit breaker and it fired right back up. Bottom line is that if all you know how to do is work a telephone to call a service person, this furnace is not for you. (Doesn't really matter, since I see they're out of production.) If you have a basic grasp of machinery and electricity, you can deal with it. Frankly, I don't have much respect for people who can't replace a clothes-dryer drive belt or change their car's oil. Or deal with a properly installed Munchkin. You need to download the manual and do the annual maintenance (which takes maybe 20 minutes and a few tools).

Date created: 2011-02-25 Name: E Smithe
Location: Carlinville, IL

"Absolutely terrible"
This furnace cost $5000 to install and in the three years since has had to have twelve service calls and two factory tech rebuilds which have ended up adding another $2000 to the cost of ownership! Do not buy this thing no matter what anyone tells you. You will regret it. We're in the middle of a midwestern snowstorm here, it's midnight, and our furnace has stopped working again - kicking up an error code that can not be fixed without another service call. Temps are dropping as I type this on my cell phone and it looks very likely that by morning, if I make it until then, most of the pipes will be frozen through. Munchkin should be ashamed of themselves for making such a terrible product!

Date created: 2011-02-22 Name: T. R.

"Nothing but problems!"
This furnace has repeatedly shut down for five years. The service personnel have virtually rebuilt the entire unit. The last time it shut down, it caused the freezing of pipes and bursting of radiators resulting in more than $15,000 of damage!!! Do NOT buy a Munchkin.

Date created: 2011-01-29 Name: rich shoop
Location: river vale nj

"unfixable"
plumber pushed this as the best, paid top dollar. Has bee in for 5 1/2 years. had problems with vibrating the whole house for 1st 3 months. paid plumber and advanced hydronics sales rep numerous times to resolve. jan 2010, we were without heat , same problem , plus swirl plate, for 2 weeks. Paid again for repair. This year thier reccomended service rep. has been here twice, can't figure it out. coming a third time, at my expense. co. does not return calls.