Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of CARRIER furnaces

Read more about CARRIER furnaces

Date created: 2011-03-30 Location: taylor, michigan

"Carrier furnaces are top of the line!"
We purchased our Carrier furnace after our old one broke. We are very happy we purchased the carrier furnace. It has a built in humidifier so we don't have to put loud humidifiers all over the house and in the basement now. The filters last a long time and are very easy to use. It was professionally installed and has not broken down since we got it seven months ago. Our gas bill has even significantly diminished. We are saving money on our gas bill and couldn't be happier. When anyone asks us about our furnace we are too happy to tell them what kind we have and where we got it. When anyone complains about their gas bill we tell them about ours and how our furnace helped lower that cost. It even came with a digital thermostat that let me tell you is the best thing ever! The digital thermostat is very easy to program and very easy change if you want to change the temperature setting. It is also very easy to read. Also now when the furnace turns on we don't hear a loud boom but a very soft click you almost can't even hear. The furnace is so quiet that unless your really listening you can't even hear it, talk about a difference as compared to our last furnace that was twenty five years old! We couldn't be happier with our Carrier furnace and would purchase it again in a second.

Date created: 2011-03-24 Name: D. Fischer
Location: Bend,Or.

"do your home work"
The gentleman who wrote the review from hvacrr school regarding the importance of researching your service and installing company, hit it perfectly. 90% of the time problems are caused by improper install and service diagnostics. Do your homework! I am a seasoned service tech and have installed commercial and residential systems for many years, and many brands and have never receievd as much negative feedback as I see on here. I don't distribute Carrier but work on everything. All brands have their individual problems. As a working manager I inspect every job at its completion. Research for a company with integrity and shop for quality control. As I have been behind so many others only to correct their mistakes....

Date created: 2011-03-21 Name: Dale Restu
Location: Littlerock, WA

"Carrier Again"
My original Carrier gas furnace lasted 26 years so I replaced it with another Carrier. No problems.

Date created: 2011-03-15 Name: Altaf Kagalwalla
Location: Naperville, IL

"Carrier 58HDX"
Replaced my 14 year Carrier with the 95% efficient Carrier furnace, 58HDX last November. It makes way too much noise compared to my old system. The installer (ABC Corp) and Carrier Corp. both are stonewalling about the quality of the product. Carrier marketing material says that sound should be about 55 DB, but it is definitely higher. Have a written a letter to Carrier, installer, and contacted Carrier Corp Communications, VP also. Still waiting for them to diagnose the problem and fix it or give me my money back--both carrier and installer have 100% satisfaction guarantees.

Date created: 2011-03-05 Name: Faro, A.
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

"unsatisfied customer"
installed carrier furnace in 2006 we have nothing but problem , it cost us over $1000.00 bring to the attention of the Carrier supplier in Calgary & U.S. They said that the surge of power caused the damage, but there was no surge of power happened in the city. They refuged to compensate for the control panel. The customer service is not helpful at all. For over a year we deal with them and brought to their attention, but excuse and excuse and excuse.

Date created: 2011-02-20 Name: R> Eller
Location: Pgh., Pa.

"Dependable furnace"
This furnace was installed in 1985 and I had only one problem. In 1996 the furnace wouldn't turn on and the repair tech said the induced draft blower was the problem. He told me it would cost $350 to replace. I told him this was unbelievable since it was a very small fractional HP motor, but he said the squirrel cage blower was the expensive part and only available from Carrier. I asked why the blower couldn't be removed and put on a new motor and he said they get ''frozen'' on and can't be removed. I told him I would do the repair myself. I removed the blower assembly and used an automobile universal type puller to pull the squirrel cage off. The motor could not be turned by hand so I took it apart and lubed the bearings with oil. It ran OK so I put it back in the furnace and the furnace ran fine. To be on the safe side I ordered a replacement motor for about $60.00 which I have never had to use.

Date created: 2011-02-17 Name: Jonathan

"58mvp"
In the 8 years we have had this furnace, we have had 5 service calls for broken parts, totalling about $1500. Now I understand it was part of a class action lawsuit and my current carbon monoxide leak is a design defect.

Date created: 2011-02-11 Name: B Gibson
Location: Fort Worth, TX

"problems with the system"
I am currently in HVACR school at ATI which has a very comprehensive program including alot of hands on work with the actual equipment. They cover every aspect of the trade. One thing people need to understand is that only about 50 out of every 1000 technicians are actually school trained and about half of those don't get hands on experience in the school. As result of this you end up with a lot of part changers out there cause they can't determine the problem that is causing malfunctions within the system. Anyone can replace a part but unless they determine what caused the part to fail, then history will just repeat itself and you'll have to have the same repair done again. If you find a company that has NATE certified technicians you can be 98% sure your repair or installation is done properly. As for noise coming from your ducks exspecially in older homes that changed over their systems (AC and Heating) the problem might be that your current duck size is too small to handle the air coming through it, also over long periods of time your ducks could work themselves loose and the air flow through them is causing a vibration of the ducks or if their are any obstructions in the ducks this too will make noise. With all the regulations and testing that the equipment goes through to meet the standards set forth on them it should be rare that their is a problem caused by the unit design itself. But if the installation or repair isn't done right then that is another story. Always ask what was wrong? Then ask what caused it to happen and if they are going to fix the cause of the problem as well? Don't be afraid to ask questions, as many as you need so you understand what it is as well. For example if they say your motor burt out and you need a new motor...well their is atleast half a dozen other components that could have contributed to it or caused it. It does no good to replace a component if you don't cure the cause that made it go bad and have it done properly. A little research can go along way and cheaper isn't always better. Good luck everyone

Date created: 2011-02-09 Name: Lola
Location: Canada

"Infinity 96"
Installed in 2006. Did make a big difference in fuel cost, but the saving has been offset by the number of times I have had to have the installing company back to fix things. Very noisy on start-up until we had a new/additional air exchange added. Now, every winter since installing, it has quit at least once due to ice build up in the air intake. Ice will push out pipe and then stop running- usually in the middle of the night on the coldest night. Has happened twice in the last week. I would not recommend Carrier because they have terrible to non-existant customer service. Had the furnace been installed properly, I might think it was wonderful, but I really don't know, because it doesn't work consistently, and Carrier doesn't seem to acknowledge me as a customer now that they have my money. Very disappointed in this company and their product.

Date created: 2011-02-04 Name: Duane D.
Location: Dallas, TX

"Weathermaker 8000"
My 25 year old Weathermaker 8000 finally died 2 days ago. The HVAC tech says it is pulling too many amps and would require over $800 to repair. So I decided to just replace with a new, more efficient system. In the 10+ years I've owned this home, the only service I've performed on the Carrier is replacing the air filter about every 10 weeks. Hopefully, Carrier is still keeping their standards high and not using cheap imported parts like many companies are doing. Choosing a reputable installer is also very important. A good one should discuss pros/cons of other upgrades (i.e. new ducts, re-routing ducts, adding a zone) besides just installing the new furnace and hoping for the best. Do your homework: the installer is at least as important as the brand and system you choose. Also, you typically get what you pay for.