Consumer Reviews of CARRIER furnaces

Read more about CARRIER furnaces

Date created: 2009-07-29 Name: Mike

"i love carrier"
Ok,i had a Carrier 3.5 ton packaged unit with natural gas heat,in 2005 right before I moved,the heat exchangers cracked,35 years as I can remember,it was a Good old unit. it has long ben replaced with a Goodman unit.

Date created: 2009-06-26 Name: Brandt

"Carrier"
We have had our new home for 10 years and have had to have service to our Carrier furnace 4 times. We have had to have the switch replaced twice and last winter our furnace stopped working and some line froze up and the furnace had water in it. Last night I was woke up to a very loud screech and turned off our air because I did not want to cause any more damage to our furnace. Waiting for the service man to see how much this will cost us. I can not believe that we have had some much trouble with a furnace that is only 10 years old!

Date created: 2009-06-25 Name: D. Neilson

"Carrier furnaces"
I have owned 2 different Carrier Furnaces in 2 different homes. The first was a Weathermaker that was in my first home and the 5 years that I owned it, it was trouble free. The next house now has an Infinity that soo far is trouble free. I liked the first one soo much, I bought Carrier again. If you are considering a new furnace and are reading these reviews, please keep in mind that most people dont go out of their way to leave a review unless they are unhappy and need an avenue to spout off. I just came across this as I was reviewing a Goodman furnace that my friend is having installed or otherwise I wouldn't have left this review. Also funaces need to be sized correctly and installed correctly in order to perform and be trouble free.

Date created: 2009-05-07 Name: R. Jones

"R. Jones"
My Carrier WeatherMaker gas furnace model 58sx (90+% efficient) was installed in 1994. The mother board was immediately replaced but the unit continued having ignition problems. The installer then replaced the ignitor and said that a cracked heat shield had caused the problem (cost of $350 to fix). The following year the ignitor had to be replaced again. Several years later the entire heat exchanger had to be replaced (cost over $500). Several years ago I received a notice that a class action law suit had been filed against Carrier for faulty heat exchanges (I enrolled in the law suit and recovered approx $200). I replaced the unit with an Amana that has run flawlessly since its installation.

Date created: 2009-03-01 Name: Donna Ott
Location: Memphis, Nebraska

"thought carrier was top of the line! what a joke!"
73 year old women has carrier 58sxa 1990 cracked exchanger in 1 degree weather noheat.

Date created: 2009-02-21 Name: R.Eiler
Location: Orwigsburg, PA

"Weathermaker Infinity Exchanger Gone Bad"
When I built my new home I tried to do everything right with top recommended products.Bought the Weathermaker Infinity "top of the line" because of the revolutionary heat exchanger with the 40 year warranty. The Weathermaker Infinity Furnace is nothing but a dissapointment. Numerous service calls over nine (9) past years regarding heat interruption usually in mid-winter. This year,(2009) stopped working February 15th, 9 deg.outside. Heat exchanger is cracked and full of holes. Carrier will furnish part at $85.00 cost to Carrier. I pay the labor $900-$1200 big ones. Never again Carrier!! I should be paying the $85.00 and you guys the $1200. Good-by Carrier. Consumers beware of the bogus hype and really read the fine print on the warranty.

Date created: 2009-02-10 Name: Sue
Location: MI

"Repairing after a few years already"
Bought the Carrier 9300 Weathermaker five years ago. Started having noisy blower motor problems last year. No help from Carrier nor the installer unless I paid $125. Recently the furnace kept shutting down in minus zero weather. Had to call the installer who insisted motor needed replacing for $520 and should have lasted longer than five years however the installer nor Carrier would do anything so if I wanted heat, I had to pay out $520. Next time a furnace is needed, it won't be a Carrier brand.

Date created: 2009-02-04 Name: s triano
Location: Monmouth, NJ

"58cva110 funace motor failure"
Woke on the coldest day of the year and the furnace isn't working. Called the dealer whom which I have had the near mandatory service contract with. Within minutes they determine the motor is bad. Cost 1500 to replace! 5 year warranty just ran out a few months ago. I was flabbergasted that the second most important piece in my furnace went only after 5 years. The next biggest insult was the price. They replace the motor and the ecm altogether even though it seems you can buy them separately. To me this is like your car engine blowing up 6 months after the warranty is out and you have changed the oil regularly. I just hope this isn't the start of my woes with this brand.

Date created: 2009-01-30 Name: Patrick O'Hara
Location: East Liverpool, Ohio

"58MVB is a piece of junk"
After a nightmare 6 years with a piece of garbage Goodman furnace I decided to get a top of the line furnace that (I thought) would take away my problems. the goodman was more reliable than this carrier. We had it installed just after Thanksgiving last year '07, it's the end of January '09. The furnace is 14 months old. We have had the repairman here 3 times to the tune of $250.00 in service repairs. The worst part is, I don't trust it. I am uncomfortable leaving the house for any extended period of time because I can't trust the furnace, it's too smart for its own good and shuts itself down. The first time, the filter needed changed and when the furnace wasn't getting enough airflow, it shuts down. I am pretty good about changing the filter, it was dirty and needed changed but it wasn't that bad. I have seen much worse. What if this happened on a Friday when it was bitter cold and we were out of town for the weekend. Pretty stupid thing to shut down a furnace and paying a $60.00 service call because I had a filter that needed changed is inexcusable. The stupid furnace shuts down and will not come back on until the technician resets it. The second time insulation from the inside of the furnace broke free and clogged the duct intake. Once again the furnace shut down, not to work again until it was reset (once the insulation was cleared). The third time (one week later) it shut down. It was 1/29/09, one of the coldest days of the year. We came home from work at 8:00 pm to a cold house. It had shut down for no apparent reason. The furnace blinks a code when there is a problem. It was blinking randomly with no pattern to it, so the code was unrecognizable. He just reset it and it has worked so far, but I have zero confidence in this piece of crap and don't trust it. I am soooo disapointed. I paid a lot more than I could have because I wanted a good reliable furnace. I paid a mint for a pig in a poke. I have a high class furnace that is unreliable and I do not trust it. I'm afraid to go anywhere if it's below 32. Do not buy this furnace, you will regret it. Frankly, I don't know what I'm going to do. I paid $3500.00 for this furnace and can't afford to get another so soon, but I can't live with this one either. I'm angry!

Date created: 2009-01-17 Name: Richard Forbes Smith
Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

"Between a rock and a hard place"
In April of 1993 I had a high-efficiency Carrier 58sxc100 installed. It ran without problems until 18 months ago when it needed a new ignitor. Two days ago, it refused to heat the house more than 62-63 degrees. Today (Friday), the Carrier serviceman told me that the heat exchanger has ceased functioning and that the furnace (along with many other Carrier furnaces manufactured since 1998) was part of a class action suit. The warranty on the heat exchanger (covering parts and labor) has been extended to 20 years -- but he recommended replacing the entire furnace (for which Carrier which give me an as-yet-unknown credit) with a new Carrier. On Monday, I'll know the extent of the financial damage. But in the meantime, I'm left wondering why a supposedly first-class manufacturer like Carrier ever knowingly used sub-industry standard steel for the heat exchanger. And what unknown drawbacks there might be in a new Carrier.(Do I really want another one?)