Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of CARRIER furnaces

Read more about CARRIER furnaces

Date created: 2010-01-07 Name: E. McDaniel

"Unit repaired repeatedly over the last few months"
I have a Carrier unit that was installed in 2003. The unit was doing fine until this past summer. First, I had to replace the compressor, which was fortunately under warranty, although labor and freon was not! Then, a couple of months ago, the combustion motor went out. I waited for a month on a waiting list for the part to come in! Then within a couple of days of putting the new motor in, the capacitor switch went bad. Now, a week ago, the new motor I put in died!!! Not only is the unit faulty, but so are the parts that Carrier is selling. (In case you are wondering, my HVAC is very knowledgeable and very honest, so he is not causing the problem.) Now, when my HVAC guy put the another new motor in, the little blinking code light says that the board has gone bad!!!! We are using some electrical tape to hold wires together until I have enough money to replace the board. Carrier is about to get a nasty letter from me! (My HVAC guy says he wants to write a nasty letter too!)

Date created: 2010-01-05 Name: Ben Guenther

"Don't buy a Carrier furnace"
We thought we were buying a quality furnace but our Carrier furnace has been nothing but grief. About once every week, the furnace does not light and shuts itself down for 3 hours. We have to reset the breaker to get it to light. Many service calls and parts replaced have not fixed the problem.

Date created: 2009-12-23 Name: A. Belisle

"Carrier 58MXA080-12 furnace condensate"
Installed Oct. 2000, then regular maintenance. No problems until Oct. 2009, when led blink code 31 (3 short, 1 long) appeared after the inducer motor came on, but we got no heat. This happened during cold, rainy weather. After two service calls, problem was traced to a clogged condensate drain ("j trap") and leaves on screen in the intake pipe causing furnace to intermittently go off and on on code 31. Clearing out the drain and removing the leaves fully fixed the problem.

Date created: 2009-12-10 Name: Tom Muggeo
Location: CT

"Carrier Reliability"
I am an Engineer for a mechanical contractor in ct. I felt compelled to comment on some of the reviews I have read here. In most of the reviews, if you read between the lines, poor workmanship and installation practices cause a lot of problems with all brands of equipment today. Noisey systems (ductwork), Ignition problems (gas pressure and venting), frozen condensate lines (draining outside in cold climates), circuit boards (faulty wiring installations) are typical issues in the trade today. The contractor you chose is most important followed by the equipment. If the price is your first concern, you will probably be writing a bad review here also!

Date created: 2009-12-08 Name: Bdolven

"carrier not honoring its own class action settlement"
We've had the same experience with this Carrier class action suit. Carrier confirmed in an email that our furnace bought in 1989 qualified for a settlement that Carrier entered into based on its faulty heat exchangers. Meanwhile, our furnace has stopped working in 32 degree weather, due to the heat exchanger malfunctioning in the cold, and we've had no heat now for a week. Carrier will not get back to us and we cannot get in writing what the terms of the settlement really are. On the phone, Carrier has told us we would qualify under the settlement for about $1800 towards a purchase of a new Carrier furnace - but, orally, they say only if it's a Carrier, not any other brand. An email from them just says "purchase of a new unit" but does not specify that it must be a Carrier. They seem unwilling to give us terms of the settlement in writing. They also appear to be deceptive and seem not to be complying with the terms of the settlement, especially as they won't provide it to us in writing. The long and short of it is, our secondary heat exchanger has also malfunctioned. We are supposed to be covered by this settlement, and they simply are not honoring the terms of the class action settlement that they entered into, from my experience. If anyone knows how to make them comply with their own settlement, please email us at bdolven@yahoo.com.

Date created: 2009-12-05 Name: J. McVay

"Jamie"
Vibrating fan:On installation the fan was replaced. This did not change the situation. The reason for the vibration may be in the mounting. Must call installer. Will ask for resolution of this design problem; I believe the fan itself is sound.

Date created: 2009-11-12 Name: Mark Flash

"16 months- 3 motors replaced plus 1 additional service call"
I had both a Carrier furnace and air conditioner installed in my house just about 16 months ago. In that time, I have had 2 motors replaced (on my third) and had one other repair. Though the parts are covered under warranty, the labor is not. I spent a considerable amount of money to put, what I thought, was a quality product in my house. I wonder if there is a lemon law for furnaces. I emailed them thru their website, but have not been contacted by them as of yet. So much for guarantees and customer service. I am wondering what legal recourse I have in the event that they dont address this issue.

Date created: 2009-11-08 Name: R. Frank

"Carrier ICS and A/C"
I have had this furnace for 1 year now. This is the top of the line so you would expect performance. Although there were issues with the installer the furnace performs as stated and without any concerns.The 15 seer a/c is ok. The fan runs at one speed when the air is on. Seems the set up was wrong. The coil froze up. Again installation concerns. I highly recommend this equipment,but, always be careful of the installer. We eventually worked everything out...

Date created: 2009-10-22 Name: Kevin Amonte

"Carrier Furnace and Air Conditioner"
I bought a Carrier furnace 2 years ago and found it to be very quiet and powerful. This year we found out, there is a recall on the Heat Exchanger. Nobody ever contacted us about it and our dealer is out of business. I called Carrier and they basically told me not to worry about it as I am not having problems. After doing some digging I found out that there is a class action lawsuit against Carrier for using plastic to coat inferior metal components to save money and people have been ripped off. Furnace is running good I just can't get an answer one way or another from Carrier.

Date created: 2009-08-25 Name: Carl Sturm, Sturm heating

"Carrier 90+ furnaces"
I am a Carrier dearler and installed a 58ssb in my own house. Have had no problems with it. I read many of the problems people have had. Firat the parts, all part in Carrier had a 5 year warranty, it is now 10 years. The prices paid by many of the people were way too much. I have noticed that when problems come it is for three reasons. 1 the furnace is too big for the house some dealers don't know how to size units. 2 the furnaces are installed wron and the return air is too small. this causes the shut down when the air filter gets dirty. 3 people buy the 1 inch filters that are too thick, buy the 89 cent blue filters. The other ones do not let the air though and causes the furance to overheat and the saftey controls lock the furnace out. Get a good dealer.