Consumer Reviews of CARRIER furnaces

Read more about CARRIER furnaces

Date created: 2014-01-13 Name: Jim
Location: Northern Michigan

"20 Years"
I am planning to replace my 20 year old quiet Infinity furnace. Though, the inducer is making lots of noise on a regular basis now. The assembly is pricy to replace, seems crazy to spend that kind of money on an older furnace. Up to now, other than regular maintenance, the only cost was an igniter a few years ago. After 20 years, this furnace owes me nothing. Thanks Carrier. Still looking at bids from Amana and American Standard too. Maybe even price out a Trane....

Date created: 2014-01-11 Name: T. Pirnat

"Fan Failure"
Hvac contractor installed June 27, 12. Fan motor in furnace failed Dec. 16, 2013. Replacement was covered but cost $200 for service, shipping, warranty management from contractor. Also, at original installation, they replaced the 5 year old Carrier outside heat pump that was failing as well. I have lost all confidence in Carrier products. My next HVAC purchase will not be Carrier.

Date created: 2013-11-28 Name: Liz Jones
Location: Belleville, Ontario, Canada

"So Disappointed"
We put a Carrier furnace in our home 11 years ago. It was touted as the best furnace available. So, we sucked it up and paid over $6,000 for it. We just had the motor replaced, $1200 with tax. After only 11 years and since talking about it have heard nothing positive about this brand. We will never buy a Carrier furnace again.

Date created: 2013-10-09 Name: Keith Jacober
Location: Centennial, CO

"Carrier WeatherMaker Furnace 8000 is Twelve Years Old"
Carrier WeatherMaker furnace 8000 is twelve years old. Induction motor, hot surface ignitor, and flame sensor have been replaced. Latest issue is something of a mystery. Furnace fires up normally for several minutes then shuts down. Furnace guy believes the problem to be either the gas valve or more likely, the computer board. He called local (Denver) tech but found him to be less than helpful. We called Carrier headquarters without any useful help, just a runaround to another tech center which shunted us into computer limbo. Led flashes code 34, a catch-all of numerous possibilities except an answer to the problem. Winter is impending here in Denver. My solution is a new furnance other than a Carrier or any of its sister brands. Good going guys.

Date created: 2013-08-18 Name: D. Harper
Location: Toronto, Canada

"Carrier BW9 High Efficiency Furnace"
A few months after the 5 year warranty on the furnace ended, the heat exchanger developed a crack and water was spewing out on the floor of the furnace room. Had I not entered the room that nite and stepped in water, I would have gone to bed and who knows how much damage to my house and health would have ensued. The furnace was purchased from a certified Carrier dealer and serviced annually by the dealer. There were problems from the beginning starting with the installation and getting service from Carrier, especially in Canada, is almost impossible and the same can be said of their "certified dealer". Eventually, I found out the heat exchanger was covered but the labour cost of the installation of the new exchanger was very high and not covered. I decided I didn't want to spend that much money and bought a Canadian manufactured hi-eff. furnace from a dealer other than the "certified Carrier dealer". Why put another exchanger into such a furnace and have the same thing happen just beyond the warranty period? Besides, it was winter and who could afford the time involved in getting that part from Carrier? Just getting to talk to someone is a major feat and, when you manage to make contact, you get a very polite person who will not let you talk to anyone who can help you....a report has to be put in and then someone will contact you. Who has time for that in the middle of winter? Carrier is not a company I would recommend to anyone...neither for the quality of their product nor for the service that follows. Avoid them at all costs!

Date created: 2013-04-28 Name: B Witte
Location: Buffalo Grove IL

"A MUST READ"
I see lots of complaints with Carrier here, but nowhere do I see any complaints about the hvac company that installed these units - which is more than likely the culprit. Did the hvac company just install the unit without checking the existing duct work? Was a load calculation done to determine the proper size of the furnace? Were the installers nate Certified? If you answered no to any of these questions the onus is on you for your miseries. Cheap installation prices has never produced satisfaction regardless of brand. As two year owner of an Infinity system I have had zero issues, but then again I hired a good installer and I have my system checked yearly - are you?

Date created: 2013-04-03 Name: L.Johnson
Location: Canton,Ohio

"Infinity Series problems"
Installed new furnace and a/c 6-2010.On 9-2010service for blown fuse.Rewire by service man. 5-2011 service call, tech says bad relay, problem goes on for a month. Technician here twice more. Finally 6-2011 new control board installed. New thermostat 1-2012.My charge New humidistat 2-2013.My charge Inducer motor sounds like a jet engine spooling up for take off. Tech comes takes unit apart.Checks everything. Puts back together. Sound gone. Nobody knows why and my charge. Now my last furnace only lasted 24 years and in that time was checked twice and cleaned once. Regular stuff. That furnace was a Bard.

Date created: 2013-02-16 Name: M. McManus
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

"Mike M."
Purchased in 1997 had two repairs done in this time last one on Feb.13, 2013 .starter coil price installed$300 .I live in a 11000 sq.ft. house,I found it a little noisy throughout the house more in some places than others.This was a two stage model number 58tua00 high low fired unit, whatever that means.Not to shabby for 15 years and still ticking.

Date created: 2013-02-13 Name: K H

" What is title?"
I built a brand new home in 2005 with a Carrier model mca100-1-20 furnace installed. I now have been told that I have to replace the primary heat exchanger, the secondary heat exchanger ( both partially covered by Carrier because they determined that this model is defective)and now, surprise,surprise,add on a cracked inducer motor wheel for a total cost to me $1,200!!!(What next?) I was told that I could replace this one with all new parts but then would have the same problems again in the future,because the parts have the same problem. I should not be having to replace a furnace after such a short period of time number one. I could get a different model new Carrier with a minimal amount off from the heating company that installed it, but why should I pay again when the product I had installed new should have lasted for a reasonable amount of time? Carrier, you stink. By the way, there is no rating low enough for this product. I am going to another brand and another local company to replace this piece of junk.You both lost a customer, and anyone I can tell about it.

Date created: 2013-02-12 Name: M Sauve
Location: Michigan

"They scam you on warranty."
I purchased a new house in 1994, which came with a Carrier 58sxc furnace installed, one of the poorly engineered models covered by a class action settlement regarding bad heat exchangers, where Carrier agreed to provide a 20 year parts and labor warranty on the exchangers. Recently, the condensing (secondary) heat exchanger failed. It's very obvious, there are rust perforations in the "coils." This means carbon monoxide leaking into the heated airstream. Ouch. Unfortunately, there was no documentation of the installation date, and the local dealer who's sticker was on the furnace could find no records. The furnace was made in November, 1992 (just over 20 years), but I bought the new house in July, 1994 (well less than 20 years). I contacted the Carrier distributor, Carrier Great Lakes. They told me install date didn't matter - that it was in a serial number range which qualified for the "20 years parts and labor" settlement, and to contact a local Carrier dealer for warranty service. I did so. They first wanted to know if they should send a salesman to sell me a new furnace. No, I want a warranty repair. Then, they wanted $90 for an "inspection." Not necessary - I have pictures clearly showing and proving the failure. They said Carrier didn't pay enough for labor, so they would charge me additional labor to replace it, even under the settlement. More discussion, and they say without proof of installation date, no free labor - $650-1100 to replace a heat exchanger (which involves 2 hours and some $20 caulk). Would I like to buy a new furnace? No. I'll forget about the free labor and do it myself, under the "LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY" I have as the original owner - I have a defective heat exchanger, and want a warranty replacement. "Carrier won't let us do that, we have to do the replacement." OK, I'll call Carrier and tell them you won't honor their warranty. Call Carrier corporate. Explain the situation. First person says the settlement timeframe would be based off the closing date for my home's mortgage, so I'm covered. Great. I have proof that it failed (would you like to see the pictures?), so don't expect me to pay the $90 "inspection" fee your servicing dealer wants. "We have no control over that." WHAT? It's warranty, and your dealer wants to charge me for a repair. Escalates me to next level. That person says coverage is based on install date, and without proof, date of manufacture, so no on the settlement labor. OK. I want a replacement for my defective exchanger, per the lifetime warranty ("Carrier will provide a new heat exchanger without charge"). "You have to go through the distributor and they won't do it unless you're a certified HVAC contractor." I asked "where does it say that in the warranty?" 10 minutes of searching, and they couldn't find it (it's not there, I have a copy, maybe it's in the newer warranties). Summary - Carrier has a scam going. They won't honor their warranty, and tell the consumer that it has to go through a distributor. Distributors refuses to deal with homeowners. Dealers only want to sell you a new furnace, or charge exorbitant prices for a warranty repair. Carrier - stay away!