Consumer Reviews of ARMSTRONG furnaces

Read more about ARMSTRONG furnaces

Date created: 2010-01-24 Name: Stephanie

"Armstrong Air Ultra V G1N80BT"
This furnace has proven somewhat unreliable. In the five years I've owned it, I've had to have the control board and flame sensor replaced. Seems like a lot of parts to be replacing on a fairly new unit that I have inspected and maintained yearly. When it works, it's great, but I really don't like the phrase "when it works" in regards to my furnace. Don't purchase unless you are mechanically inclined or know someone who is.

Date created: 2010-01-21 Name: John Walso

"Mr. Boxer"
I have had an Armstrong furnace now for 3 years and it has been one of my best investments I have ever made. For the first 2 years, my wife always commented that it's so much more comfortable and I know I should get my furnace serviced but has given me no problems. The furnace had a 10 year parts and labor warranty which gives my family and I piece of mind. I have and would recommend Armstrong to anyone.

Date created: 2010-01-14 Name: Steve

"Steve"
This furnace is the biggest piece of junk ever made. What can I say about Armstrong Air? I'm a victim of American made. Unit has failed twice in two years. It either fails to start at all or works sporadically at best. I sure wish the Japanese companies made furnaces.... Toyota, Honda, etc. Until then, I guess we're stuck with domestic junk.

Date created: 2010-01-08 Name: Chris B.

"Poor quality - expensive repairs - don't buy"
We had this furnace installed 9 years ago (bought it because we were told it was manufactured by the Lennox people) and just got a bill for $700 in repairs because the furnace quit working. The gas valve (it's called a "smart valve" but my repair guy called it the "dumb valve") was defective, but there is no way to test it so the repairman didn't know if it was the problem initially. He tried some less expensive fixes first (new ignitor) but when that didn't work he concluded it must be the valve (the valve alone cost $300, not including labor). I expect a new furnace to work a lot longer than 9 years. We installed this one to replace a 40-year-old Lennox that was working fine, but wasn't very efficient. We thought it would save us money over time, but any savings we've had have probably been eaten up by the repair costs. Not happy at all - would never buy this crappy brand again.

Date created: 2009-12-19 Name: P. Doherty

"not impressed with rooftop unit"
Rooftop/outdoor unit rusted away like Swiss cheese by year 8.

Date created: 2009-12-09 Name: C. Janczak

"12 YEARS OLD AND OUT!!"
Imagine my surprise when my HVAC tech (who installed this system) informed me that my heat exchanger was rusting out. He showed me the areas in question and refused to service/clean the furnace for fear of creating a worse safety hazard than what exists now. The heat exchanger is covered under warranty but will be installed for $700.00! Through no fault of my own, I'm in the situation of forking over 700 bucks or consider a new furnace. Armstrong rep said no help with cost of labor. Nada. Nothing! Will my new furnace be an armstrong? Not!

Date created: 2009-12-07 Name: Charles White
Location: Montana

"Nice in cozy in Montana"
I had an Armstrong 91% Ultra V installed in my house after having an Armstrong run there for 20 years. I decided to replace my old furnace with a higher efficiency furnace due to gas prices rising. I have never been happier. My old furnace actually heats my garage now as there were no problems with it and the new Armstrong furnace has been more then I could have expected. I recommend Armstrong to anyone I know as it has been trouble-free since day one. Great Furnace! We see a lot of cold days in Montana and Armstrong has been keeping my family warm from the get go. A+ guys!

Date created: 2009-11-29 Name: Richard Fischer

"Frustrated with Armstrong 95% Eff. Furnace"
The Variable speed dc motor system stopped working, and I am told that A.O. Smith, who made the blower unit no longer makes this part. So the failure of a motor controller will cost $900 just for the part. This is totally unacceptable.

Date created: 2009-10-07 Name: martinez

"Armstrong"
I've been in my house for 11 years, have never had any trouble with my furnace. It is original to the house (40 years old). Very good unit

Date created: 2009-09-17 Name: w. buffet

"i'l buy another"
My home came with to high efficiency trane furnaces and air conditioners. they seemed to break every winter, over and over. they were expensive to operate and extremely noisey. two years ago I decided to upgrade my downstairs system after almost seven years of frustration. I checked out carrier, amana, lennox, and even trane. I was impressed with lennox and was about to buy that. my carrier dealer told me about the relationship between lennox and armstrong. they compaired almost exactly the same and they were almost $2000.00 less. now I couldn't be happier so i've come back to replace my other system with the same. my dealer has lowered his price even more because of the slow economy. this may be the best investment I ever made.