Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of American Standard furnaces

Read more about American Standard furnaces

Date created: 2013-03-19 Name: C Leon
Location: Littleton, CO

"Lasted 2 years after warrany then died."
Lasted 2 years after the 5 year warrany expired then both blowers failed and cost 1/2 the price of the unit to repair. Will not buy again.

Date created: 2013-02-07 Name: Werner Friesendorf
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

"I am very happy with my American Standard Gold ZM"
The new furnace reduced temperature swings and helped to lower my heating bills by 47%. Thanks to the 2 stage heating, running at energy- saving 65 percent capacity more than 80 percent of the time, 97 % efficiency. I do agree it can be the installer who messes up. The company I hired showed me several things the installer from the old furnace did totally wrong. They fixed it all at no extra costs. For example the fresh air intake was too close to the exhaust and the old furnace sucked in a mixture of pollutant with oxygen. That caused the body inside the old furnace to roost and deteriorate. The heat has never been more comfortable than now with my 2-stage Gold ZM furnace.

Date created: 2012-12-04 Name: Susan

"Wouldn't Buy Again"
Installed our furnace on Christmas Day in 2006. We asked for the very best available because our first furnace died after just 7 years in a brand new home. In the past 5 weeks I've had service out 3 times. First because the blower worked, no heat. But now we have heat and no blower. $1,800 to fix the motor and one other part. Do your research and buy something else!

Date created: 2012-08-07 Name: Jesse Winna
Location: Wright, WY

"Run and hide"
My thermostat manual disappeared and I needed to find out some information on it. Easy right? In today's connected world it should be easy. No way - their web site says contact the dealer. The dealer says 7 days for a new manual. Are you kidding me! Thank God it wasn't something broken or I would have been up the creak. Instead I get a system that can't be changed because they are to stupid to put the manuals on their website. Meanwhile I can download an operations manual for my $15 clock from Walmart in 30 seconds.

Date created: 2012-01-17 Name: C. Sun
Location: Monterey, CA

"get the extended warranty"
Furnace works well as does the Acculean (Aprilaire) air cleaner that was installed at the same time. After 4 years the computer control board died and the replacement cost was over $500 plus the cost for the diagnostic trip by the tech and the second trip out to install the new controller. It was replaced under the 5-year parts warranty but we were still out the cost for the two service calls. It would have been a good idea to pay for the extended warranty with a part that when it dies will cost $800 to repair. With a 5-year warranty we may end up replacing the board another 2-3 times during the life of the furnace. The dealer that sold us the furnace and installed it turned out to be the one company in our area that provides the worst service after the sale.

Date created: 2011-12-10 Name: Frances Egerton
Location: Orangeville Ontario

"Never buy a Trane furnace"
I bought this unit between 7 and 8 years ago. And today is Friday December 10 2011 and my furnace died again for the 5th time -- the main board is gone. My first board went at the first year. I have had Trane rep. here and that did not fix the problem. So now here I am with no money for a new furnace and no heat. There motto is: "Nothing Stops a Trane" -- that's a lie. Don't ever buy a Trane.

Date created: 2011-05-31 Name: Honey Crosswhite
Location: marin county

"Freedom 95 now call Silver ZI"
Ordered Freedom 90, installed unit did not work, company upgraded to freedom 95 without charge but week wait for new unit. New unit difficult to install, expensive (almost 10k). Must have service yearly to maintain warranty ($100/yr). Now coldest weather in months and mother board zaps out. New part comes from L.A. parts distrib, wrong part. Wait 10 days new part. Still freezing, disabled and cold creates immobilizing pain. Still waiting. Know a good attorney?

Date created: 2011-05-29 Name: rettig
Location: cary nc

"very dissatified with american standard"
have an american standard furnace. wow, what I could say about this. for some reason moisture & scum builds up in one of the pipes and then furnace or air conditioner will not work. have to suck out this mess periodically. I cannot believe anyone would build such a thing. I am not able to do this, and have to call repair man to come and it is costly. do not, I repeat, never buy american standard.

Date created: 2011-03-24 Location: Fair Lawn, New Jersey

"The Workhorse in the Basement"
This furnace has been in this house since it was built int he 1950s. My family first moved into this house in 1983, and it's been chugging along just fine since. Wow, it's been 28 years we've technically owned the furnace. We love how it does it's job. It keeps the house nice and warm and never breaks. It's even green, my favorite color! It's in an awkward spot in the middle of the basement, however. But we've been here for so long that we got used to it. Also, it scared the kids when they were younger. There was this giant dusty, fiery dragon in the basement! It hasn't broken. It just keeps working. I'd definitely recommend the brand American Standard to a friend. I don't think you can still get this model though. It is about 60 years old. I'm sure the gas heating technology has improved since then.

Date created: 2011-03-20 Name: Robert
Location: Canada

"The freedom 80"
I had this furnace for 7 years now and has done me well. It has never cause me any trouble and there has been no repairs. This furnace is a little noisy.