Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

• AHE (1 review)

Date created: 2014-01-16 Name: D.alonso
Location: Wharton,N.J.

"What happened to WM ?"
As a heating contractor for over 30+ years, whenever I entered someone's home who had a wm boiler, I breathed a sigh of relief. They were once the industry standard. I Can no longer sell these to my customers, why? Because I'm tired of dealing with boilers that constantly leak at the sections, or blow the section out completely. Oh sure, they warranty their product, but they do not cover the charge for the repair. This makes for a very angry home owner and the result also impacts the installing company. Maybe they need to get away from neoprene push nipples between the sections and go with the steel push nipples, like the majority of the other manufacturers.

Date created: 2014-01-11 Name: L. Meyer
Location: Xenia, OH

"DO NOT NOT NOT BUY THIS BRAND!!!"
This unsatisfactory review includes extreme dissatisfaction with Heifner Heating in Xenia. It was they who were responsible for recommending and installing this huge mistake and they who told us we would save money on heating. Our old boiler developed a leak in the pump. Nothing wrong with the boiler itself, just the pump. Could have replaced it for about $1100. Instead we were talked into a whole new boiler for more like $7000. Said we would see as much as 40% savings on our gas bill. There has been absolutely NO reduction in our gas *usage* (money cost can't be fairly compared due to price increases) and this boiler has been an absolute piece of undependable JUNK and nothing but a headache. As others have noted, it shuts off and locks out during the coldest weather. "Factory trained techs" come out and work on it and it's fine until the next cold snap, the time you really need your heat. Additionally, we can no longer turn the thermostat down at night because it takes....are you ready for this?....between four and five hours to return the house to the set temperature in the morning. Yep, this incredible piece of crap will raise the temperature in our house by a whopping ONE DEGREE PER HOUR! I have no words that will express how sorry I am that I did not know enough to read reviews before buying. Stay as far away from Weil-McLain as you can!

Date created: 2014-01-09 Name: Dan Graz
Location: Glen Cove, NY

"Do not buy Weil Mclain"
My parents have a Weil Mclain furnace and it almost killed them. The chamber broke and allowed co to enter the house. I spoke to Weil Mclain and they said the chamber should be replaced every 5 years. Can you imagine, you have to replace the chamber every 5 years otherwise it may kill you. The co in my parents house reached 166 ppm which is lethal! Be warned, do not purchase a Weil Mclain furnace.

Date created: 2013-12-24 Name: chancellor
Location: Quad Cities, Iowa

"PROBLEMS...and more problems"
2010 installation. Service calls commenced within 1 wk of installation. I am of the opinion that Weil-McLain has poor quality components. Further, the service techs seem clueless about this gas hot water boiler.

Date created: 2013-11-06 Name: G. Luke
Location: Hobart, Indiana

"The Rock"
I purchased my old home from my parents in 1975. They bought it from my grandparents in 1968. The Weil McLain boiler installed by my grandfather in 1967 while he was prepping the house to sell to my parents, is still down there, running perfectly well. I have it checked by professionals every few years and have heard "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" many times. I am on this website simply assuming it won't run forever and trying to shop and prepare. I'll bet they don't make them like mine anymore.

Date created: 2013-11-01 Name: David Wolfe
Location: Cincinnati, OH

"Do Not Buy"
Sure, these boilers run efficiently but can you make it through a whole winter without an expensive fix? I have 3 of them in my rental property and have had tons of issues. The latest was two control boards fried within a few days of each other and now a heat exchanger that has basically disintegrated at the bottom. Of course, you can't simply replace the blown transformer on the board or the outlet port of the exchanger. They build them, so you have to spend a lot to fix them. Never again will I buy a Weil-McLain!

Date created: 2013-09-09 Name: steven servello
Location: terryville ct 06786

"Works Great"
Purchased gold Weil McLain oil furnace with intake induction from outside furnace room. Must be free from lint if in room with dryer and yearly maintenance is required. We have a 330 oil tank live in Connecticut. I fill up every 16 months only, uses half a tank and heats water too. Thermostat is at 68 in winter. Also have Breckwell pellet stove in basement. We also had a qualified tech put it in. Ross Heating are good old boys in Terryville, never had a problem. Furnace was put in '95.

Date created: 2013-07-24 Name: Mike R
Location: Connecticut

"Boiler Leaks"
I installed a Weil-McLain model 68 oil-fired hot water boiler in 1993. In 2012, it started slowly leaking water on my basement floor. I am so disappointed. The boiler is limping along as of 2013 and needs to be replaced. I will never buy another Weil-McLain boiler again - or any gasketed boiler for that matter. I have no reason to believe that any gasket materials can withstand the test of time for boilers.

Date created: 2013-06-22 Name: Carla Jordan
Location: Huntington Long Island

"Nine Year Old Boiler"
27 repairs in ten years. Don't buy this boiler, no heat Christmas, New Years day, Easter Sunday. I need divine intervention.

Date created: 2013-05-27 Name: m gunning

"Junk Junk"
I bought this house in 2001. This boiler worked fine the first six months. Then it decided it didn't want to start. I had the service guy come out and it would work fine for a couple weeks. Since then I have had them out no less than a dozen times. Here is a list of things that had to be replaced. The blower, castiron water jacket, igniter, control module, transformer and the cone. Now, May 2013 when it gets damp outside it refuses to start. Save yourself some grief and do not buy a Weil-Mclain!!