Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Read more about Triangle Tube boilers

Date created: 2013-10-04 Name: K.Lindsay
Location: Ontario, Canada

"Nothing But Problems"
Installed this propane boiler for hot water and the in floor radiant heating in our new home (2008), and right from the first winter I have had nothing but problems with lock out after lock out. After 3 years, the main electronic board had to be replaced. $1,100.00, I have to hit the reset button every other day because of a lockout. Now, the boiler shuts down on low water pressure so I have to add water to the system to clear the lockout. I have to call a tech again. Not very happy!!!!

Date created: 2013-09-30 Name: Aaron H
Location: Big Lake, Alaska

We built our house 6.5 years ago. This boiler was the "best on the market". The bottom just rusted out. How can a manufacturer build such a poor unit. We have normal water so that could not be the issue and we do the required yearly maintenance. Now I know why they don't make this style of heater. Just wish that I would have known about the quality and warranty that came with this unit.

Date created: 2013-09-30 Name: dhill
Location: mccomb, oh

"Installed Boiler in November 2010"
Installed boiler in November 2010. Not any big problems, had to reset unit now and then, unitl now. When I turned the unit on, a u 1.35 code is on the display and blower running continuously. Talked to tech. and he was very good at helping me troubleshoot the unit. After checking fuses, he told me that the control module needed to be replaced and he also suggested that the blower be replaced (may have shorted out c/m). There goes all my $$ in energy savings.

Date created: 2013-06-27 Name: Sprost
Location: Boston, Ma

"Steady"
I've had a Solo 110 for a year now, but have been servicing them for over 7 years as a Technician. The reason I chose this brand was because of its reliability in the field. I was kind of disappointed with the low rating on this site, but then I started reading the reviews. It seems to be very clear that these are all written by homeowners that really don't understand heating systems. I think it's funny that customers are trying to troubleshoot these things themselves. The best thing about Triangle Tube is that, they lock the homeowner out. If the guy who installed your Prestige has a clue, ask him the code to get to the tech side of the control. If he looks at you with a blank stare, then you probably hired the wrong guy! One reviewer nailed it on the head by saying that these and any condensing boilers should only be installed or serviced by qualified Mechanics. Most of the complaints I have read sound like user/installer errors. The controls on condensing units have to be set properly. Most important is that the piping system attached to it be correct, or designed to match the boiler. Most plumbers just cut your old boiler out and connect the new high efficiency boiler to what's left. This is where most of your problems will be. If you read a review of the boiler having frequent error codes and they just keep replacing parts, then they should be more upset at the guy who's making the money off those parts! Maybe they should find someone who can find out why the boiler keeps failing instead of just replacing the things that fail. Trust me, in my field 90% of the time it's something less tangible than the boiler making the problems. This is why I chose the Prestige, heat exchanger has low pressure drop which makes system design easier. Self cleaning heat exchanger which means it needs no annual maintenance, open neat interior for easy access to components, and most of all... Two sided control board, one for easy set up and a back side where you can fine-tune efficiency. There is only one thing I can tell anyone that's looking to purchase a condensing boiler. If the boiler you bought wasn't installed by someone who actually reads and understands the manual, then you will be one of the many frustrated homeowners writing delusional reviews on this page.

Date created: 2013-05-22 Name: A. Rasa
Location: Rutland, VT

"Buyer Beware"
Had Triangle Tube Prestige 110 installed in 2009 and less than 4 years later the following parts need to be replaced: low water cutoff pressure device, boiler piping return assembly, pressure gauge and fitting. Of course all these parts only have a 1 year warranty. Buyer beware.

Date created: 2013-02-01 Name: Larry Aszmann
Location: Minneapolis MN

"Can't Get Parts"
Boiler shakes the whole house when in high-fire mode. Replacement parts are not readily available and the unit was installed 3 years ago.

Date created: 2013-01-31 Name: Laurence Bates
Location: Lansing, Michigan

"Smart 40 Indirect Water Heater Junk"
I have the Triangle Tube Prestige Solo 175 boiler and a Triangle Tube Smart 40 Indirect fired water heater. The boiler needed the cut off valve replacing twice early on but has worked fine since then. The water heater however rusted out after less than two years. How can a stainless steel boiler rust out? In my case it appears that the inner boiler for the hot water is stainless but the outer jacket for the boiler water has a regular steel cap and that rusted through so badly that it cannot be repaired. I am really ticked off that Triangle Tube is passing this off as a stainless steel water heater when it appears to be anything but that.

Date created: 2013-01-25 Name: Rob

"Home owner"
This unit is 2 years old and I have had nothing but problems. The unit keeps on putting up error codes. The hot water keeps shutting off. The worst part about it is I have tried to contact the company on several occasions and I have not even gotten a call or a email in return. The oil company that is responsible for the units yearly service does not even know how to work on them. One service tech told me. Listen guy I am a oil guy not a propane guy. This unit sucks all around. I wish I still had my oil furnace from 1963. At least I expected that unit to crap out on me.... But it never did. Go figure.

Date created: 2012-12-11 Name: Daniel J
Location: New York, NY

"Prestige 110"
We had similar trouble to some of the other reviewers at the beginning, with the system going into random lock downs following widely variable readings on the pressure meter. As it turned out the installer had plumbed one of the supply or return lines wrong -- he said it's the opposite of most other brands but I don't know how true that may be. Anyway, once he fixed that the boiler has been working great ever since. We've really seen a major reduction in our fuel bills so the unit does work as efficiently as advertised, but the programming must be meticulously configured to match your home and climate for that to happen. In other words you should have it installed by someone who knows what he's doing, who will take the necessary heat loss measurements in your home and do the right calculations to program it correctly. I'd feel most comfortable with someone who is into technology and seems pretty sharp, not an old-school plumber who doesn't get the newer stuff. I learned how to read the codes on the display so anytime I'm in my basement I can glance at it and see that it's working as expected. With a high tech unit like this, no matter what brand I'd recommend to any owner to do the same, just like you want to understand the gauges and dashboard lights on your car. The bottom line is after getting past the initial misconfiguration I've been very happy with mine. Other than that I haven't experienced the problems other reviewers have posted about so I wonder if they may also have some installation problems. I've had mine for 3 years now and really like it so I'd recommend it as long as you get it installed by someone competent.

Date created: 2012-12-06 Name: Bad Triangle Tube
Location: WI

"Horrible"
Very unreliable and error codes at least once every 1-2 months (sensor errors).