Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Read more about SLANT-FIN boilers

Date created: 2013-12-17 Name: M. Horbatsch
Location: Toronto, Canada

"Gasket Failure"
8 years old, was maintained, last year DirectEnergy service rep put silicone on the gasket (to supposedly fix it), now the service guy put my heating out of service, the gasket is frayed. Apparently, quite common with SlantFin. $1.500 repair? Bringing in a winch to lift the heat exchanger, put in a new seal, and then what? (Another 8 years?) No thanks, get away from this company, as fast as you can, their engineers are idiots. The old boiler in the house lasted ~40 years, and wasn't even broken, just not very efficient.

Date created: 2013-12-13 Name: R Berard
Location: MA

"Stay away from this boiler"
Had a 25 year old American standard replaced with the Slant fin three years ago. First boiler lasted one season and was finally replaced because the factory rep couldn't keep it running. Now the second boiler is leaking on the floor and when it gets cold outside the only way we can get domestic hot water is to turn all the thermostats in the house down. I have no confidence in this system. Thank God I have a pellet stove for backup. Very expensive mistake on my part.

Date created: 2011-12-26 Name: catman
Location: Connecticut

"Great Boiler"
Recently purchased a slant/fin tr-30 pt oil burning boiler. Extremely please so far with the efficiency and have noticed a difference my oil bill for the positive. It runs much quieter than my previous boiler (Columbia). Very satisfied with the purchase.

Date created: 2011-12-02 Name: peter M
Location: Boston Ma

"This is the best oil boiler in the market"
This is the best oil boiler in the market. Cut my fuel usage in half. It is a tr30p. The oil company that installed it also installs the Eutectic triple pass Slant fin boiler. Stated it is the quietest boiler in the market. Would recommend this boiler. They are also a family owned company put of New York and have been for 63 years.

Date created: 2011-11-25 Name: Bill Pitamber
Location: Queens NY

"Sounds like water is sizzling"
I have this Slant-Fin GXHA160 boiler for about 7 months. I am hearing drops of water sizzling when the boiler is working. I complain that this is an issue. I was told this is moisture. I don't believe this. I think this boiler is defective.

Date created: 2011-11-22 Name: garry P
Location: vancouver BC

"boiler leaking"
This boiler started to show signs of leaking within 5 years of new in a new house. Slant Fin totally denied responsibility and jerked me around on my warranty until I gave up now its 12 years old and is leaking , I need to replace it. The service / repairmen said its unheard of for a boiler to rust out like this, they should have covered it back then, but they didn't jerks!

Date created: 2011-10-04 Name: D.Lochridge
Location: Bozeman, MT

"Cracked boiler after 14 years"
My father just had to replace this SLANT-FIN after 14 years of light service - it is only used as backup to a wood-burning stove. I think they should last a lot longer for such a major failure.

Date created: 2011-05-04 Location: Salt Lake City, UT

"The Best Boiler!"
After buying my first home in Salt Lake City, I purchased a Trane XL20i heat pump. I chose a heat pump because they are very efficient in their manner of keeping your house cool in the summer, and warm in the winter. This is very important in the state of Utah, where we experience the extremes of hot and cold. I bought my Trane in 2010 and it works great. I have no doubt it will still be working in 20 or so years. My favorite feature of the XL20i is its quite operation. At first, I wasn't sure if it was working, due to how quietly in runs. Compared to other heat pumps, it is silent. I have never had the reason to repair it, as it runs without problems. I would definitely recommend it to any person seeking an efficient way to heat and cool their house. It brings my home an unmatchable comfort that I haven't ever experienced before my investment in my heat pump.

Date created: 2011-02-20 Name: R. Eller
Location: Pgh., Pa.

"Dependable boiler"
I had this 210 BTU boiler installed in 1979 and have had no problems except that the thermocouple [which keeps the pilot light on] has to be replaced occasionally [very minor task]. This is a repair that is common to all boilers/furnaces that have a constant burning pilot light. My next boiler will have some kind of electronic ignition. I did take the exterior sheet metal off once and recemented with furnace cement some places where the original cement had disintegrated. It really wasn't a must do repair but I was curious and it took a couple of hours.