Consumer Reviews of SEARS boilers

Read more about SEARS boilers

Date created: 2012-12-07 Name: J. Talbott
Location: Deep River, CT

"Worst Experience of My Life"
We purchased a Dunkirk oil steam boiler from Sears in the spring of 2008. The first night it kicked on in the fall, the burner died. We had "Master Protection," but they won't come in the middle of the night to fix it, so we had to pay about $300 to have it replaced by our oil company. After several three years with several other malfunctions, the low water shut-off failed and ran the boiler dry until it cracked. The "Master Protection" was still in effect, but it took us 18 days without heat or hot water to get Sears to come in and replace the unit. It wasn't just the time and discomfort, but the dozens of hours I spent on the phone never getting a straight answer out of anyone... subcontractors lying to me, care people lying to me. About 18 months after the full system replacement, we just had another crack in the boiler. This time, there doesn't appear to be any reason. We are now into five weeks without heat or hot water. No one there knows what they are doing. I am pretty sure they draw it out to get you to pay for a replacement yourself and count on people not suing them. It is a giant scam!

Date created: 2011-11-30 Name: SCFP
Location: Franklin, MA

"SUBSIDIARY of Burnham - OK?"
Dunkirk is a subsidiary of Burnham - ok? Burnham has had LOTS of trouble with "leaky" boilers since about 2000 - need I say more?

Date created: 2011-04-26 Name: A Reid
Location: Mount Vernon New York

"Sears wants to install a 3rd boiler after two failed within days of installation"
Seas installed a boiler on November 17 and on November 19, the boiler stopped working. The boiler had a crack in the back of boiler. After calling begging and pleading for them to take the boiler out of my home. A second boiler was installed January 17, on March 20, the second boiler developed the same problem. The Specialist came from the Dunkirk factory to do a complete check. They stated everything was fined, so why did two boilers break down. All this time we have been without heat. Now They want to install a 3rd boiler, which I do not want, i am trying to get help from Better Business. Sears representative tells them one thing and gives me another story. How can I get out of this horrible situation?

Date created: 2009-02-10 Name: Sarah Levine Simon
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY

"sarah levine simon"
Sears promised 95% efficiency on gas boiler replacement to old oil furnace. There were two change orders (1)to a boiler of 85% Efficiency. 95% not compatible with steam system. (2) lining of chimney required by city. 3 weeks into job Sears fired it's team. Plumber never finished, open permit. Heat bills more that quadrupled. Citibank began collection action even though work never finished. took two year to get a response from Sears. present status: Two Paralegals in Florida dept of Sears Legal are trying to rectify the mess in Poughkeepsie. Sears was in it to make usurious loans, they are not in the home improvement business.

Date created: 2008-02-09 Name: Pat
Location: Glen Ridge, New Jersey

Sears boiler certified by Dunkirk is no good. The original home owner installed the boiler in 2003. On January 28, 2008 the boiler blew smoke and soot all over my house, we could not breath. The boiler still has the warranty by Dunkirk. Both parties fail to help fix the problem. Dunkirk wants Sears to fix the problem, Sears does not want to fix the problem. Sears want us to pay them $4,145 to replace the boiler. Sears installed the boiler wrong which caused the boiler to crack. We have been without heat for 13 days, we are located in Northern New Jersey.