Consumer Reviews of LAARS boilers

Read more about LAARS boilers

Date created: 2014-06-25 Name: S CHALL
Location: San Francisco, CA

"Has tech issues"
I have two of these boilers installed in a San Francisco 2-Flat building. Both started having random lockout issues from the beginning, initially about once or twice a year, now about once or twice a week. A few months ago, both started having ignition issues, so I replaced the igniters on both. That helped for a while, but recently one unit starting having severe ignition issues. Having two, I started swapping components between the two units to determine the source of the problem. Swapped gas valves, problem stayed with the boiler. Swapped boiler control circuit boards, problem stayed with the boiler. I need to do more research to determine what else could cause the gas vale to not open or go shut while operating. I noticed that Z1 zener diode on both circuit boards has been fried (smells bad, obvious soot around/above the component), so I called Laars tech support to learn what other component in the boiler would cause that failure and got the answer "we don't troubleshoot individual components, just replace the ($421) circuit board. It probably failed due to condensate." Lotsa help they were. A few more problems... nobody seems to have these things out west, so all parts need to come from online dealers in New England. And they require hookup to the potable water system via a backflo preventer... annual cost to certify those valves.. $400. I am looking for a replacement boiler that can operate on glycol. It won't be a Laars.

Date created: 2014-04-14 Name: Christa t
Location: Wakefield, ri

"Getting a Laars? Hope you enjoy cold showers..."
Bought a Mascot 2 by Laars after it was highly recommended by my bf's family. His cousin is a plumber and did the install. Can't even tell you how many times he's been back to try to fix it. Happens every summer. Hot water won't work unless the heat is on. Yup, gotta run the heat in the summer to take hot showers. I actually boiled water on the stove the other day to take a sponge bath because now the hot water won't work even with the heat on. This thing cost $ 7,000, not including install because we're family. Can't imagine how much this thing would've cost if we weren't related to a plumber.

Date created: 2013-07-11 Name: Lori Meyers
Location: Queens, NY

"Pool Heater"
Has a problem every year since we had it installed. We take very good care of all our equipments but this heater is the worst.

Date created: 2013-03-27 Name: V. Wilson
Location: BC

"Laars Mascot - poor quality"
My general contractors "heating guy" installed a Laars Mascot boiler for my in floor heating system four years ago. He did not consult with me on the unit. The mother board blew and the repair bill in total was $1,200. Please read the other reviews and take some advice away. These are poorly built units with a manufacturer who turns a blind eye to know issues. Buy anything else. It really doesn't matter. If you have a Laars - get it serviced every year or more. Next repair I'm smashing the unit and sending it back to the manufacturer.

Date created: 2013-01-02 Name: Lorraine
Location: Ansonia

"HOME INSPECTOR WARNED ME"
My house was built 12 years ago and a laars was installed. When I purchased this home 6 months ago the home inspector warned me about this boiler. He also said it has about a 15 year life span. The repair tech tried a new control panel and pump, still no heat. By 6pm on New Years Eve they said there was nothing else they could do until Wednesday when they could contact tech support. The repair total so far is $ 1,400. Decided to put the $ 1,400 to a new boiler rather than continuing to trouble shoot. My inspector was right on the money!

Date created: 2012-11-20 Name: Z. Rood
Location: Ithaca, NY

"Poor Customer Service"
Called with request for unpublished part numbers referenced in manual but never listed therein (manual states to contact Laars directly for information on this particular part). After searching for hours online, and calling several online retailers, I went ahead and phoned the manufacturer. The tech was belligerent and told me to go away unless I was a contractor. Really? I wish I could. But I still need that part, with no local retailer I am stuck. I feel like I made a mistake going with this product.

Date created: 2012-11-20 Name: R O'Brennan
Location: Chilliwack, BC

"Run from Laars"
My Laars Mini Therm boiler is 4 or 5 years old. Last year I spent $1.200 in repairs. This year the unit broke down in mid November and service people are uncertain what the problem is after 8 hours. The house is very cold and I am very dissatisfied. If the unit can be repaired I will hope it runs until next fall when I replace it. Laars is not on my list of brands I'll be looking at and I will warn everyone in the market for a boiler to avoid anything built by Laars.

Date created: 2012-11-14 Name: Perry Kioussis
Location: Montreal, Canada

"Laars never ever buy"
I have a 2 500 000 btu laars for my 60 unit apartment building that replaced the original install Volcano flame tube boiler. This laars thing is the biggest pile of junk I have ever bought. After first winter season on warranty replaced the controller board and the ignitor, 2 ignitors the second year and every year there after. Now this is the start of season 6 and one more ignitor. Very big inconvenience over the years as I have to to show up and reset the boiler. Every summer the thing needs to be opened up and worked on from controllers, ignitors, copper coil cleaning, low fire aquastats, leaking copper welds, failed internal water pump impeller. Ive spent $28000 in repairs on this piece of garbage since the install in October 2007. The old Volcano was completely reliable and trust worthy never that call in the middle of the night for heat. The consumption with the volcano was 100000 m3 of gas for the year, the laars brought the burn down to 70000 m3. Now that's 30% less but anything that I saved went into repair and frustration. This will be the last year and I'm going to get rid of it as soon as this winter is over. I will try and get some kind of compensation but who knows...

Date created: 2012-07-10 Name: Willie Conklin
Location: new york

"service"
We had a hard time finding a contractor for our laars boiler . It was not hooked up proper from day 1 . Runs like a swiss clock

Date created: 2011-06-21 Name: D Nardine
Location: Vermont

"HT 1.330 Got me Fuming"
I payed dearly for this Unit, I wanted energy efficient. 8 g's installed. As soon as it was installed, discontinued by Larrs. Expansion tank leaked in just under a year, took 2 weeks to get another one. Tech leaked water all over the control board and dried it out with a heat gun, got blower error and it finally started working after playing with the Control board. One month later same error with Blower. Laars no longer supports the Unit, It's only one year old. It took two months to install by Irving??? Forget Energy efficient stuff, it's a money sucking black hole. Don't get a Larrs.