Consumer Reviews of Heat Transfer Products boilers

Read more about Heat Transfer Products boilers

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2012-10-17 Name: John
Location: Framingham, MA

"Working 7 years and still going strong..."
I had our Munchkin t50 installed in 2005. The installer was a real pro and did a great job...kept inlet and exhaust vents far apart so the intake fan/blower doesn't pull in the acidic exhaust and fail, very clean and professional job (some other plumbers and contractors have commented on the good design and quality fittings/components he used). Initially we used the same installer for cleanings but it cost too much so I changed to another heating company and I have them come every other year to clean the leads and heat exchanger...they tell me it is pretty clean so I think it may not be necessary for annual cleanings in my case. The system works fine so far...provides adequate hot water (we also have a SuperStor Ultra 45 Gal HW heater for a family of 7...1900 sq ft home) and heat. Haven't had a component fail in 7 years...seems from one reviewer that installing these correctly and with adequate sizing/cleaning is critical...not to mention an honest installer.

Date created: 2012-10-09 Name: Homer

"No Code--No Lite"
Diana--Cheyenne W---Well, first read the posts. Sorry that you had so much trouble. You have a gas reversion problem because of faulty exhaust and intake installation. When did you do a major cleaning and tune-up? No Code--No Lite: No code tells me that the major components are ok. No lite tells me the following: No gas(propane tank empty or valve off?), no spark or hot surface ignitor not functioning, no combustion air. Those are the three things necessary for combustion. Check to see if you have gas. Check to see if you have spark or that the hot surface ignitor is bright red. Is the spark cable grounding out? Is the spark probe cracked and grounding out? This is what I think it is. You have a plugged condensate drain and the moisture in the combustion chamber is grounding out the spark. But I think that you would still get a code. Keypad plugged into the control board? Hope this helps.

Date created: 2012-10-09 Name: Diana
Location: Cheyenne WY

"Not liking Munchkin right now"
We have a Munchkin boiler for heating our home and our water. First the fan caused problems - had at least 3 new fans before we finally had one that did not separate. Have had a new circuit board installed, then it worked well for several years. Now while we were out of town, something went wrong. Came home to hear the boiler trying to light, however it did not light. No code to determine what may be the problem. Our local plumbing company had been helpful - not so much this time. They cannot determine the problem and aren't very communicative with us. Ordered and installed a new circuit board and that did not fix the problem - so we have been without hot water and heat for the past two weeks. We live in an area where the lows have been in the 30'S. Snowed this past weekend - so we really need to either solve the problem or install a new boiler.

Date created: 2012-08-02 Name: Leonard Hortick
Location: Boulder CO

"Mr"
Do yourself a favor and do not buy any Munchkin products. My boiler is totally junk and needs to be replaced after only ten years of use.

Date created: 2012-05-12 Name: Steven Whitbeck - BELTLINE HEATING
Location: Grand Rapids MI.

"Sam H."
Sam H. - You need to have the heat exchanger cleaned. If the flame rod and igniters are coated white it means that you have exhaust reversion. install a 90* elboe on the exhaust pipe and turn it up about 18 inches then install a 45* angle with a stainless steel screen in it. The boiler has to be tipped back just enough for the bubble of a level to touch the line, not past the line. Put the level on the front of the heat exchanger with everything assembled. do not put it on the front of the boiler jacket.

Date created: 2012-05-04 Name: Earl
Location: maine

"Beware"
To any one who wants a munchkin boiler -- stay away from them. I only use mine in the summer to heat my hot water and every spring when I fire it up (or should I say try to) it doesn't work. Apparently the people that installed it don't want to work on it either -- they never get back to me. The best thing to do with one of these is: don't buy one.

Date created: 2012-04-18 Name: Homer

"Here We Go Again !!!"
Chris--Sandwich, NH---Where do I start?--Oh! Read the posts! Lots of good info there. First, In 40 yrs in the business I have never come across an unreliable boiler and I have never told any customer that their boiler was unreliable whether it's a Slant Fin, Buderus, Viessmann, Triangle Tube, or Munchkin. Let me tell you, in my experience, there are a many, many, many dumb, dumb, dumb technicians out there. If a technician say that a boiler is unreliable, your question should be "Why is it unreliable?". You will probably hear a lot of stammering. a technician blames the boiler rather than admit to his own inexperience. The fact that you have re-occurring problems indicate that your technician never got to the source of your failures and just substituted parts. (Expensive for you and a good living for him). Chris look to the installation, there are hundreds of thousands of Munchkins properly installed out there that are problem free; look to the application, 2-199,000 btu boilers? Do you really need that much heat? Common practice in times past, when replacing and old boiler with a new one, the contractor would look at the BTUs of the old boiler and match the new one to the old one after all it worked before. We don't do that. We make a whole house heat loss calculation and match the boiler output to the heat loss of the building. This saves boiler costs and energy costs. I have covered cleaning in past posts, and I don't have problems with cleaning. ModCon (Modulating-Condensing) boiler need maintenance. They need to be installed correctly. It would be a shame to throw away 2-4 year old boilers when it may not be the boilers fault. Think about the chances that the 2 Munchkins that you bought were both lemons (astronomical). Good Luck! Look to the installation.

Date created: 2012-04-14 Name: Chris
Location: Sandwich, NH

"Munchkin Boiler Problems"
I have two Munchkin 199 mlp r2 boilers running on propane. Nothing but trouble. Both boilers have failed roughly once per year and need expensive service each time. Technician told me that they are very unreliable. Fan housing on top needs frequent replacement. Boiler needs frequent cleaning and is hard to clean due to design. Only 4 years old and I now have to replace both since they are too much trouble.

Date created: 2012-03-12 Name: Steven Whitbeck - BELTLINE HEATING
Location: Grand Rapids MI.

"Danny"
So the boiler is making loud noises - And your service man can't fix the problem. I would say the problem is not the boiler but your choice in a service man. He is not properly servicing the boiler and because of lack of service the boiler is letting you know that it doesn't like how it is set up. Call htp and find the local distributor, They will give you the name of someone qualified to service your boiler. I would say that the burner gasket is gone and the combustion settings are way off.

Date created: 2012-03-11 Name: Homer

"Potato-Potahto---Tomato-Tomahto"
Danny Collins- Groveland,MA---I don't know what growling and banging sound like. My idea may be different than yours (it's subjective). What did your boiler guy do in servicing? Did these noises occur after servicing and not before? It's keeping you up at nite? Absent any other symptoms, fault codes, loud noises in my observation, have come from moving parts.---1. Blower motor is failing (separation). This in my experience had been very loud and no fault codes,too. Is the sound coming from the exhaust outside the house?---2. Flashing in the hx because the pump is not pushing enough water through the hx this creates banging sound, One other thought, Is the burner tube securely attached by the four screws and not vibrating? Of course, there is the possibility, that somehow, a bear got into your boiler, I know there's a remote chance of that happening. Hope this helps.

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>