Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Read more about Heat Transfer Products boilers

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2013-10-11 Name: Homer

"Insufficient Data"
Genene C Hill--Kaysville, Utah---It is difficult to analyze when I can't see it. I don't know what you mean when you say it doesn't start. What happens when you hold the reset button on the keypad down? There are a lot of things that could be your problem. So, we will "round up the usual suspects". The fact that the keypad is showing the temperature of the boiler, water is good as it probably means that the control board is okay. There are no fault codes which probably confirms it. Can you access the control board programing? Is the control board properly programed through the keypad (outdoor reset, etc.)? Many thermostats use batteries in the thermostat to operate the thermostat electronics. Is the batteries new and properly installed? The thermostat is just a switch. The thermostat tells the boiler to turn on. The wiring between the thermostat and the boiler must be intact and making good contact. The first thing that I would do is cut the power to the boiler. Then unplug and replug all the harnesses on the control board. Does that turn on the boiler? Then I would go to the boiler and disconnect the thermostat from the boiler at the boiler (the two gray wires labeled thermostat) and then connect the two gray wires (they are called the TT wires) together. Does the boiler start, blower start, ignition fire, etc.? If it does then the thermostat or the thermostat wiring is the problem. I would then look at the control board. If you have the software on your computer, I would reprogram the control board or take the control board to the wholesale company that sells HTP products and have them reprogram it. You need the serial number, make and model and revision info. If that fails, you will need a new control board. Hope this helps.

Date created: 2013-09-15 Name: Steven Whitbeck - BELTLINE HTG.
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

"Steven Whitbeck - BELTLINE HEATING"
Homer - I am betting that his problem is his venting. He has to replace blowers and 925 controls every two years. That is a classic symptom of exhaust gas recirculation. He needs to have at least 18 inches of vertical separation between the intake and the exhaust openings. Once again people - YOU NEED to read the old posts here. There is a lot of GOOD problem solving information in the old posts by some very intelligent repair contractors. Do yourself a BIG favor and learn from this site. DON'T just come here to bitch about equipment YOU had installed by the low bidder. And YOU didn't check him out. Ask the local supply house that sells boilers about who they would recommend to do YOUR boiler installation. They WILL know who is the best. Steve

Date created: 2013-06-20 Name: Homer
Location: Nevada

"To Keep it or Not to Keep it. That is the Question"
Geoff Marshall--Little Deer Isle, ME---The Munchkin is a legacy model, but that doesn't mean it is not a good replacement. The efficiency is a little lower than the newer models, but that is insignificant when you know how efficiency is calculated. A high efficiency boiler is most efficient when the return water is the coldest, that rarely is the case in actual practice. The more cold (sic), the more condensate is produced, the more efficient it is. I would install it (but I'm cheap). It should just slip into the old piping, saving installation costs. I'm curious as to how you got a leak behind the back refractory and how it was discovered. On another note, I'm very suspicious of well water. A ph of 6.5 is still acidic. Mineralization in well water under the heat load can solidify on the interior of the hx rapidly. Studies show that a small encrustation of minerals can radically reduce the heat transfer thru the hx to the water. Walmart sells distilled water for under $1 a gallon, very affordable. I would fill a system with that. Stray electrical currents traveling thru the mineralized boiler water can cause damage, too. Look, the unit may have been manufactured 4 years ago, but it is a new unit. Read these post and double check your installation, old and new. At least HTP didn't send you just a heat exchanger. I know $1000 is a lot of money, but it is a $3800 boiler. You are replacing an 8 year old boiler, too. I know that I would have felt more appreciative if it had been a newer model. Considering it all, I would install it. Good luck. Remember, luck is knowledge plus opportunity.

Date created: 2013-06-18 Name: Steven Whitbeck - BELTLINE HTG.
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

"Elite FT"
Geoff - What is skewing the ratings is that, 99.99% of the happy owners don't come on here and tell the world how good their properly installed and maintained boiler runs. And how happy they are with their gas bills. I now have two HTP boilers on my property (one heats my barn and now an Elite FT-55 will heat my basement and four season porch). Go ahead and buy the Rinnai - I can't wait to read about it on the Rinnai bashing site. The boiler is 4 years old in box because they haven't been built for that long. You should have upgraded to the new Elite FT.

Date created: 2013-06-04 Name: Homer

"Leaking Boiler"
Darshan Suri--North Syracuse, New York -- I've been so busy. The older you get, the less time you have. I'm at the point where I'm running out time. It is helpful to know where the leak is originating. What most folks and more than handful of boiler installer ignore is water quality. Poor water chemistry can destroy a heat exchanger in short order. When filling a boiler, I will use distilled water or deionized water if there is a question of water quality. This is especially imperative when using anti- freeze in your system. Improper air-fuel mixture can adversely affect the acidity in the condensate, as can laundry room chemicals. A boiler or water heater should never be installed where chemicals are in the boiler air intake environment. Water leaking from the pressure relief valve is indicative of a failed PRV, a pressure higher than 30# in the system. Too large a pump or a pump wrongly positioned in the system, and a water logged expansion tank. Flashing in the HX can cause water discharge. Hope this is helpful.

Date created: 2013-01-27 Name: Homer

"That's Terrible"
K powell--Minnesota---I'm sorry to hear of your misfortunes. This is quite serious. You should contact the Minnesota consumer affairs department concerning what happened with pictures and a statement from your fire chief, building department and a local heating contractor. Also, let htp know that you are doing so. Often times, State Warranty Laws preempt manufacturer's warranties. Did you have a new home buyer insurance policy? I am inclined to doubt that it was an electrical problem considering what you described. I sense that it may have been a failure of the combustion chamber with hot gases escaping into the compartment. This might have been discovered with a yearly maintenance before the heating season. Also, use smoke detectors. Smoke detectors saves lives.

Date created: 2013-01-26 Name: k powell
Location: minnesota

"horrid product !!!horrid company!!!!!!"
We purchased our house less than 2 years ago.We were excited to know that the boiler had just been purchased 2 months prior to us buying the house.Two nights ago I fell asleep on the couch (my husband works 2nd shift) and I woke to smoke all over the house.(I Could smell an electric wire burning smell)It was one of the coldest nights in minutes 30 below..I ran around the house trying to find out what it could be. I followed the smell to my basement, when I opened the door smoke just billowed out, I called 911 and the fire chief arrived first. He said the whole wiring and everything on the boiler was melted. It had tripped the breaker so no fire thank God. But a ton of smoke everywhere.and this boiler was under 2 years old, when my husband called this company they said the warranty doesn't transfer ownership... really??? We bought the house and the warranty does not come with, this product or company should not be in business!!!! Do not do business with these people. I could have been killed because of this incident if I had not of woke up. Our lives were turned up side down because of this company's negligence and they wont face up to their responsibility!!!!!

Date created: 2013-01-25 Name: Homer

""We had Paris""
J Brown--Menominee, MI---You may have multiple problems. "...round up the usual suspects" Back to basics: routine maintenance? Combustion chamber and condensate trap cleaning not greater than 3-4 years between. Natural gas pressure to valve 7" w/c (3/4" supply pipe and at least 10' from the meter? Combustion analysis on gas valve (co and 02)set correctly for low and high fire rates? F09 fault code causes---Burner tube not secured tightly to burner plate with the four screws (with a new gasket); Condensate line not draining (clean the combustion chamber)?; Gap on the spark ignitor is 1/4" and probes are clean and insulator not cracked; Rectification probe is clean and in the flame; Electrical plugs are connected tight and green ground wires are grounded and the polarity on the 110v wires are correct. new BLOWER---Make sure that the replacement blower is for a 140m; There is a cork gasket on the new blower's intake (positioned correctly?)(Honeywell gas valves use the cork gasket) Make sure that the hole on the brass vent on the rear of the Honeywell gas valve is open to the atmosphere; There is a new clear rubber gasket between the blower output and the blower to burner passage that came with the blower, use it. Check to make sure no plastic blower impeller parts lodged in the passage. multiple starts, no COMBUSTION--- If the spark probe is sparking (with the correct gap and good ground); It is a air/fuel (gas valve) problem, a moisture in combustion chamber problem, a blower problem ( with the 925 controller, press the s2 & s3 button for 1 sec- ser should show on the display-press the s1 or s2 button to decrease or increase the blower speed, the display should read the rpm of the blower, display=269low--380hi--press s1 & s2 to exit. If it works blower is okay loud combustion rumble & erratic rectifier CURRENT--- most likely an air/fuel problem which is tied to an f09. The rectifier current, with a good ground (burner tube and boiler), clean probes should be 4.1 micro amps when running. It can start at 2.5 to 4 micro amps on start up and quickly go to 4.1 ua (this is what rock solid is)., Erratic rectification is an air/fuel or grounding issue. a multimeter must be capable of reading 1 to 10 micro amps. That said, My humble advice is to clean the probes, install a new burner tube gasket and tighten the four screws very tightly, and get a combustion analysis with a recently calibrated combustion analyzer. burner TUBE---Remove the gas valve, blower, and burner plate as one single unit. Check the refractories for damage. Remove the 4 screws holding the burner tube to the burner plate. Remove the burner plate refractory (fragile) very carefully from the burner plate. Clean the old burner tube gasket from the burner tube and burner plate. Reverse the process using a new gasket. Report back. 10 years, see a Munchkin is a good boiler!

Date created: 2013-01-25 Name: Hickory Tate
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

"Munchkins with exhaust in the combustion"
I have worked on a dozen or so Munchkins and learn something new almost every time. The biggest problem I've seen was a deteriorated fan. I am thinking that this might help Diane in Cheyanne. The problem was corrosive air in the intake process. It took out the swirl plate and must have been an issue for a while before finally, the blower stopped working. It looked like it had caught on fire. I got all the replacement parts, then found out from htp that this unit fell within a brief window of manufacturing dates that had a recall due to a vent leak in the exhaust. At the same time, it may have been recirculating combustion air through the intake. a tip off to this problem that I noticed was the presence of mineral speckles on the metal parts within the machine, brass and aluminum/zinc alike. In that case, the unit was replaced with the current model, the Contender.

Date created: 2013-01-24 Name: Steven Whitbeck - BELTLINE HEATING

"Installed by my plumber"
Remember folks just because they say they know what they are doing - very few plumbers know how to install a high efficient boiler. Same goes for most heating and air guys. Find someone that has been installing high efficiency boilers for at least 5 years. To do a proper tune up requires a combustion analyzer. Is there a small hole ( 3/8 inch ) drilled into your boilers vent pipe about 1 to 2 feet from the boiler? If not it has never been properly installed or serviced. (The hole must be covered when done testing) I use metal tape.

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>