Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Read more about American Standard boilers

Date created: 2013-09-28 Name: J. MacDonald
Location: Whitelake, Michigan

"Rock Solid"
Original boiler to home, will be turning 50 next year. No issues but had to replace water circulating pump 3 times and Extrol model 30 expansion tank twice all in 24 years. Know I'm on thin ice, looking to replace but American Standard does not make boilers anymore. Like everyone else on here, quality really is an issue with boilers today. Keeping my fingers crossed until I can find a quality unit to replace this iron work horse.

Date created: 2012-06-29 Name: Tintin
Location: Winchester, MA

"The "Bunny" of boilers"
I moved into my house, built in 1954, in 1969. The original boiler was a tankless Amer Standard Arcoliner, Series 4b j4, with a New Arcoflame burner, Model eh6. Many years ago, I had the tankless part disconnected because the water flow had been seriously compromised by calcium deposit. This boiler/burner assembly was serviced yearly for a cleaning and tune-up. Aside from replacing the water circulator twice, there have been no other repairs necessary over the last 43 years! The only problem is that the system efficiency, which had been at around 74% for many years, has come down over the last couple of years to 70%. So, reluctantly, I am finally replacing this dinosaur with a smaller, more efficient unit, which I am sure will also bring me more problems, since I am sure "they don't build them like they used to"...

Date created: 2011-11-23 Name: Philip H
Location: Washington, DC

"Solid Unit"
American Standard unit has been very solid. Replaced the circulator pump once about 10 years ago. Pilot has blown once or twice in recent years. Intending to replace unit for the model, as assuming unit is at less than 60%. But like another reviewer says, with so many stories of failures, what to do - where can you find real reliability information?

Date created: 2010-04-23 Name: K. Allan Haywood

"American Standard Hydronic Gas heating Boiler"
Only replacements for this unit have been the circulatin pumps. Has been a very dependable product.

Date created: 2010-01-18 Name: MSV

"What to do?"
Was in the house we bought which is an 1963 and is the original boiler. Never had a problem w/ it. I want to upgrade to a more efficient boiler but after reading all the reviews from different manufacturers on this site, I'm kinda weary. Seems nothing stays operational for more than six months or is already broke when installed. Ohhh what to do?