Consumer Reviews of York central air conditioners

Read more about York central air conditioners

Date created: 2014-04-27 Name: Brent
Location: Dothan alabama

"Anxiety"
My landlord installed this unit 3 years ago. And the a/c guy has been out about every other month trying to fix it. It constantly freezes up ( I run it on 72) and leaks refrigerant out. I'm in lower Alabama and everyday I come home expecting it to be 90 degrees in the house because it has happened so many times. I'm moving out of this house because I can't take missing work for the a/c guy and not sleeping because it's so hot any more. The old unit cooled down to 67 no problem just had a leaky coil that "couldn't be fixed" whatever.

Date created: 2014-02-03 Name: Louisa Daniels
Location: New York

"5 YEARS OLD - NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS"
I have a 5 year-old combination furnace and a/c system. In the summer the ac stopped working in 100 degree weather and the contractor can't figure out why - hasn't been able to fix it. Now it's the dead of winter and in 2 degree weather the inducer motor on the heater failed while we were on vacation. The cold caused my pipes to freeze and burst, both for kitchen, bathroom etc. and for the indoor fire sprinkler system. It also caused the moldings to separate from the ceiling, baseboard to separate from walls, and leakage damage to floors and ceiling. Many many thousands of dollars in collateral damage later, and it appears there is not even warranty coverage for the heater repair.

Date created: 2014-01-06 Name: Sherry
Location: Tennessee

"Do not buy a York...Ever"
Highly dissatisfied with our 5 year old unit. We have had multiple problems and have spent a couple of thousand since we have owned it. We have twice yearly maintenance. We just had to replace the motor that actually caught fire and almost caused a house fire . If my husband had not dashed outside and turned off the breaker. Also very quick response from fire department. This cost us 800. Also replaced mother board for 400.. Among various other things. Shame on York for a poor product and poor customer service. Just dropped another 437.00 as I am writing this review. Shame on the so called hvac contractors that York pays to say good things about their products. As you can see the very dissatisfied outweighs the satisfied by a long shot.

Date created: 2013-10-03 Name: D.Foster
Location: Spartanburg, SC

"Defective Blower Motor in Heat Exchanger"
I bought a York air conditioner/heat pump on 7/23/12 for $5800. On 10/1/13, the unit stopped working so I called the contractor who originally installed it and I was told that the blower motor was burned out. The warranty is 10 years for parts but not labor. The contractor was going to charge me $350 to replace the motor, but I refused and decided to do it myself. I could not go to the contractor's supplier because I was not a licensed contractor, so I had to go to another supplier to exchange the motor for a generic motor. I do not recommend a York heating/air conditioning system!

Date created: 2013-09-06 Name: F. Hernandez
Location: Miami, Fl

"York Sells Defective Products"
I purchased this A/C model # YCJD42S41S1 and the fan coil #F5FP048H06T3X 28 months ago. This system is defective and should be recalled. After 13 months, the motor failed and I had to have it replaced. Something as basic as the fan motor. Because it was more than 12 months, I had to pay to have it installed. Now 1 year later, the coil is failing and has also to be replaced. I called a contractor listed on the York website and he quoted me $1,100.00 to replace or $2,200 to replace the air handler completely. When I complained to the York Area Manager, he informed me that the contractors on the York website are only listed there because they pay York money to get listed. Not because they know what they are doing or are ethical. He recommended I get a 2nd opinion. I told him the first one had cost me over $200.00. Then he started to blame everybody. First it was the corruption of the A/C industries, the salt in the air, then the installer. The truth is that it's my fault for buying York without researching it first. Looks like this mistake is going to cost me $5000.00.

Date created: 2013-08-14 Name: Jamie Baldwin
Location: Kissimmee,Fl

"York Distributor, Purchased Your Central A/C System"
York distributor, purchased your central A/C system model #B6BMM048K-c 13 seer 4-ton split system 8-12-2013 installed by contractor in Kissimmee, Florida my house is 1530 sq ft. The home does not stay cool. The living room kitchen area is maintaining 77 degrees when thermostat is on 75, but our very small bedrooms are sweltering at 80. I called the contractor back and he responded everything is running fine. I am very dissatisfied.

Date created: 2013-07-27 Name: S Cornwell
Location: Tallahassee, FL

"15 Seer YZE HC5B HL5B Affinity"
Very disappointed. Unit bangs periodically when it starts up. York states the $800 part is not covered under the warranty. Installation was April 2008. A/C businesses here do not want to install them or deal with York's customer service because it is so dismal.

Date created: 2013-07-02 Name: Patricia Houldson
Location: Palm Springs, CA

"What is York Doing?"
My York air condition unit was purchased July 01, 2008. It is now July 01, 2013. I have had trouble with this system ever since. After my husband purchased the unit in July, he passed away in October. But if he was here in December of the same year, he probably would have sent this unit back to York. That is when the problems started. I see my air conditioning contractor more than my own family. There has to be some type of compensation from York. I have had more than 40 visits from my contractor. And all the times, I have suffered without the comforts of air conditioning. It is not right and I should not have to go through this. None of my neighbors have the problem. Of course, none of them have a York. One neighbor has her original air conditioner from 1986 and it works fine. What can we do???

Date created: 2013-06-25 Name: Angry Customer!

"Unit has Been Nothing but Trouble!!!!"
I had a brand new furnace and AC unit installed in August of 2008. Ever since then, I've had nothing but problems!!! And when my AC man calls York they give him a problem saying my warranty expired in January. How is that possible when I have a receipt stating it was installed August 2008! York obviously does not stand by their equipment or service and it looks like I am going to have to take them to court to get back all the money I've been paying to have the piece of junk fixed month after month! And now I am going to have to buy a new system and you can be damn sure it will not be a York! And I will never recommend this brand to anyone!!!!

Date created: 2013-05-06 Name: L Christman
Location: Alabama

"York IS One of the Best"
I have been reading these reviews concerning York heating and air conditioning equipment. I see most of the reviews are negative toward this manufacturer. As a licensed HVAC contractor, I can attest to the fact that York equipment is no better or worse than any other equipment on the market. It is currently the only manufacturer that builds their equipment in the USA however. Over the years I have installed all the major manufacturer's equipment or serviced them. They all have some problems, ALL of them. The biggest problem I see is improper installation. The installing contractor is the cause of 90% of the equipment problems I have seen over the years on relatively new equipment. You get what you pay for folks, that saying has never held as much sway as it does concerning heating and air conditioning equipment. When you buy from the lowest bidder, expect to get a lowest bidder install, and then you can expect problems. Take it from someone that is in the business, the installation makes all the difference. You can choose to believe it or not.