Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2008-07-01 Name: Teri A.
Location: Gardner, KS

"Owner"
Put our unit in new in 1994. The last 7 or 8 years we have had to have a repair guy out because the unit freezes up. Apparently it has had a leak in it all this time & the leak is in the A-Coil & will be a couple of thousand dollars to fix it, that's if they can even get the part. If we have to replace it all, it will not be a Tempstar.

Date created: 2008-06-25 Name: C Hoxsie
Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota

"Home Owner"
My air conditioner was new and only worked one year. On the service call they added freeon. One month later it wouldn't cool anymore. They tested it and found leaks everywhere within the unit. They replaced the unit and the new one still needs to be filled with freeon twice a year. They refuse to test this one. They are junk and should be put out of business. I would definitely stay away from the Tempstar brand.

Date created: 2008-06-18 Name: Joe

"Proper Installation"
I read the reviews by the owners. From the information stated by each unsatisfied owner, and my 35 years of experience it appears that the installation in almost all of the systems was the problem. All manufacturers can have a problem once in awhile. I would recommend any consumer that is having a problem give the contractor a responsible amount of time to make the correction. After giving them a chance if not satisfied get a second opinion. Most of the problems I am seeing deal with leaks or charging caused by improper installation techniques. Check with your local municipalities to determine if your contractor is properly licensed and bonded. There are many installers putting in all brands of A/C equipment out there that are not qualified. If they are licensed chances are they are experienced and will due a professional job.

Date created: 2008-06-12 Name: Jim and Gina Nelson
Location: Crooksville, Ohio

"Jim and Gina Nelson"
We put a TempStar unit in our house when we built it and have had nothing but problems from day 1. Every single summer we have to have a technician come to our home to work on it and unfortunately the dealer that we purchased this from doesn't seem to have anyone that knows much about these units. Rather than taking the unit out and replacing it while under warranty they continued to replace parts one at a time(trial and error). We cannot afford to purchase another unit at this time so we just have to keep lining the dealers pockets to have it worked on all of the time. I would never recommend a TempStar to anyone!!!!!!

Date created: 2008-06-03 Name: Terry Basemore
Location: West Memphis, AR

"You get what you pay for"
It's a new construction home for the last 2 years I had three circuit boards replace and charged freon every year. I would not recommend this brand unit nor Taynor Gardner the installer to anyone

Date created: 2008-05-28 Name: E. Gaynor
Location: Clark, NJ

"Tempstar Central A/C"
Very unsatisfied with the performance or I should say non-performance of the Central A/C unit. Constantly have to call the company in for various problems. On a few occasions they could not even figure out what the problem was, which runs up the service/labor charge, not to mention a few new parts. This has probably cost me as much in service calls as it did to purchase the unit! Never again!!!!!!!

Date created: 2008-05-17 Name: Harvey Goldstein
Location: Northridge, California

We purchased a new tempstar, 5 ton unit, model t2a360, in Sept. of 2007. This replaced a 10 year old Lenox unit that no longer worked and was not worth repairing. Since we are located in southern California, we get plenty of hot summer days but since our purchase was near the end of last summer, there was only 1 day when we tried to use the unit. It failed to operate and we called for service. Repairs were made and we assumed all was well. Weather conditions did not call for additional use until recently, (April of 2008). We tried to use the unit again and it again failed to work. It merely would kick on and off, without any cooling. Once again, the service technician made repairs and we thought all was well. Three weeks went by without a need for the A/C. Then we got a typical heat wave of over 100 degree temps and tried the unit. again, it failed to cool and did not run for more than a couple of minutes. We immediately called and waited another 100 degree day for service. When the technician diagnosed the problem, he said the unit will not run and is over heating. How can a unit overheat when it never even runs? We have had our fill with this unit and will demand a replacement unit or a full refund to purchase a different brand.

Date created: 2008-03-30 Name: Keith G Albert
Location: Georgia

Just moved into my new home two weeks ago on 3/15/08. I have already had the installer out three times to work on unit. First it was "short cycling" then it needed a "freon charge" and the last time some line was clogged. This unit is brand new!!! I should not have so many problems so early. I do not recommend and I will never own again.

Date created: 2007-10-12 Name: Jerry R.
Location: Madison, MS

I bought a new home in Madison, MS in 1994 with a Tempstar Central Air/Heating unit. The heating unit was a problem after about 3 years and had to have about $1,000 of work done. Now the central a/c has to be recharged with freon at least once a year and has had to be refilled twice this summer and now needs recharging for the third time. Will now have to buy a new unit. It will not be a Tempstar!!!

Date created: 2007-07-19 Name: C. McBirney
Location: Naples, Florida

After many years of selling central a/c systems, (many many different brands) I have now settled on Tempstar. There dependability, quality, and warranty are at the top. If they continue to maintain this quality, then one day they will be a household name similar to Trane, carrier and Lennox. I am happy selling this product and will continue to do so.