Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-09-11 Name: R. Lebkowsky
Location: McGregor, Texas

"8 Years of Trouble"
8 years ago I had a high efficiency Tempstar unit installed. Had to have it charged every year for 3 years while they could not find the leak. They replaced the A coil/blower unit and it still leaked until the compressor went out 3 years ago. Now I'm sitting here with another blown compressor. Bought 10 years of warranty and was told thatthe warranty company went bankrupt. I don't doubt it if they covered nothing but Tempstar. All I can say is what a piece of JUNK!

Date created: 2010-08-05 Name: Ramon

"Getting a new Tempstar today"
Today, I'm replacing a 10 year old Tempstar with a new one using r410 refrigerant. My unit never gave me any issues until recently, when the coil was leaking and I decided to replace it rather than repair it. Beware! For some reason, my installer was recommending Goodman over Tempstar because he told me it was the best on the market, which does not agree with the Goodman reviews. The reason I think because it is the cheapest and the margin is higher plus guarantees work for repairmen out there when the Goodman goes bad. Beware!

Date created: 2010-07-07 Name: Mr. Johnny Giles Jr.

"customer for 20 years with 2 units"
2 Tempstar units were installed from day 1, year 1991, inside a 2 story home. No trouble occurred until the 19th year! 1st unit, inside upstairs attic, only problem needed a new thermostat and nothing else. Tech serviced and basically wear and tear. 2nd unit in downstairs basement, and all outside equipment which is exposed to weather had to be replaced about 5 years ago by an independent contractor, which now is very apparent, did a lousy installation job! The Tempstar fan had gone out and he promised me that he could replace it with a better unit. I'm no expert, but you are right! It's not the Tempstar equipment but the sorry installing that's going on! Now, my inside central air unit connections in the basement are leaking very badly and the pipe going to the outside unit is freezing up at times causing water to drip everywhere! And I had called this independent contractor back on previous occasions to recheck the system and he claimed that he could find nothing wrong. It's not the system, but incompetent installations! I will call someone else to repair and not the same clown from the circus.......lol

Date created: 2010-06-24 Name: Darius

"They don't make them as they used to"
My old Tempstar finally gave me a problem with the condenser motor a year ago, that is 20 years after install. However, the lousy new motor I bought and replaced the old one with just broke again. So in my opinion, it is not Tempstar. It is the poor craftsmanship of the new junk they sell these days. Probably all made in China anyway. So as I stated before, "they don't make them as they used to". I just wanted to share this with all of you. Thanks for letting me vent. I will fix it again and I am sure my Tempstar will give me many more years of service as it stands right now. 21 years is a very good record for a unit that was made to last unlike the new throw away junk to assure repeat business. Thanks for reading.

Date created: 2010-06-16 Name: Kim Barnes
Location: Heber Springs, AR

"Tempstar model PHF042K000E"
I purchased my unit less than two years ago. On June 10, 2010, it stopped working so I called a service repair man out. After checking the unit, he told us that he would call and see what the warranty covers and get the part needed. He called back to say that the part needed is the evaporator coil and that he has checked on getting the part and found out that there is not one available in the country until sometime late July 2010. I have called ICP and Tempstar at every number that I have found. I have been put off and told that a senior manager would be calling me. I have called more than 12 times and emailed every address available to me. Today is June 16, 2010 and I have not heard from anyone. I am disabled and have a husband and children living with me. We stayed in a hotel for the first three nights in hopes that it would be repaired soon since it is less than two years old and still under the company, no hassle warranty. We are staying in our house now because we can no longer afford to stay in a hotel. It is 80-90 degrees in here at all times. How would consumers like to hear my story when they are deciding what brand of unit to purchase? I bet it would not be an ICP brand. Feel free to contact me day or night with any questions or concerns. Thank you for your time. Kim Barnes Heber Springs, AR 501-206-5535 shawnandkim@suddenlink.net

Date created: 2010-06-11 Name: T. W.

"WOW"
I'm just now toying with the idea of replacing the unit solely to improve efficiency. I have two units and both have been stellar in their performance for many years.

Date created: 2010-06-09 Name: John T. Wylie

"black and white"
Replaced old black and white that was 15 years old. No problems and working fine. Getting ready to retire and had pgad modle installed. Under warranty one relay, one condenser motor, one capacitor, one circuit board replaced and now with 105 heat. Circuit board has expired again and no parts in stock. Don't think I would buy Tempstar again. On a positive note, Tempstar did send me a rebate of 300 dollars.

Date created: 2010-05-31 Name: C. Kelly

"Cindy K"
We have had nothing but problems since we bought this unit. First the condenser went out. Now, the condenser fan motor has stopped working for the 3rd time. We have replaced the condenser fan motor twice. We were also told we had a freon leak. I am extremely dissatisfied with this inferior product! My husband wants to buy the condenser motor and replace it himself because the part alone cost between $272-$290.

Date created: 2010-05-10 Name: A.D. Adams

"31-year-old Tempstar"
Cannot say enough good about this unit. It is cold as ice and still runs like a champ. The only repair ever done to it is a bad contactor, but that is the most common failure in nearly all brands. As with any electro-mechanical consumer item, manufacturers produce several grades per unit. For example, "contractor grade" or usually low grade A/C unit, then mid-grade and lastly, top of the line quality. Few contractors will spend the dollars to put high-grade units on spec homes, however, their own homes will usually have the top quality on their own home. Go figure. How do I know this?.... I am a contractor!

Date created: 2010-05-08 Name: Vince

"Prett good luck"
We have a builder Grade Tempstar (11 seer). In 10 years, the only issues we've had have been a compressor was replaced under warranty and a capacitor blew once. We have not maintained it well, so I would say it has performed well.