Consumer Reviews of TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Read more about TEMPSTAR central air conditioners

Date created: 2014-09-01 Name: Kathleen roberts
Location: Quarryville, PA

"We need help, Nightmare."
D. Richard and Kathleen Roberts Quarryville, PA 17566 Model # T4A32GKD serial # E140915761 : REPLACED with serial # E140915766 on 8/26/2014 Model# ENA4X30L17 serial# X141748959 : REPLACED with serial #X143054705 on 8/25/2014 Installed 8/7/2014 by Alger Oil Since installation these service calls have been performed: 8/7/2014 - Evening. Ed Wood sent because unit short cycling off, each time for 5 minutes, running constantly. Fooled with new thermostat. 8/9/2014 - 7:30 PM. Jeff AC not cooling, short cycling off each time for 5 minutes. Jeff added coolant, left. Air was very cold. Unit continued to run for 45 minutes without shutting off. Called, told to shut it off and someone would come out next day. 8/10/2014 - Serviced, no work order given. "Under warranty". Still short cycling off only 5 min. each time. Not cooling, like a fan running. Added, then backed out coolant. Worked on thermostat. 8/12/2014 - Still not cooling and running constantly. 8/13/2014 - Mr Spangler was supposed to replace thermostat, thinking it was reason for short cycling. 8/20/2014 - Called for service. Not cooling, not shutting off for the week. Told us that they were going to try to get a replacement coil. The A/C was not working right, not splitting. 8/21/2014 - He told me the part would be in Friday. When I asked what the part was, he told me the TXV valve had been broken when soldered on at the factory. 8/25/2014 - Here to replace the coil assembly. 8/26/2014 - All here to install new outdoor assembly. After doing this and fooling with newly installed indoor assembly, and the blower (changed the pulley), we're still not satisfied with air flow and temperature we are getting. AC ran all night with few breaks. Cycling 5 times per hour. Outdoor temperature dipped to 63 degrees, thermostat set and reading 78 degrees ovenight. 8/27/2014 - Thermostat set at 74. AC worked well and kept the house at that temperature, cycling off and on. 2:47PM unit came on. After running steady for 3 hours it kicked off for less then 5 minutes. At 5:40PM then on again, temperature in house quickly rose to 76 degrees. By 6PM we were finding air flow greatly diminished and air not to be cool. Called for service. 8/28/2014 - Called ICPUSA. Recapped the entire 3 week process and latest symptoms. Talked to Christine, Senior Level Representative. She said they would contact Alger Oil. Came to replace blower on unit. Replaced the blower, told me it "open some room up". Added coolant to unit outside. Cut off kitchen and 1 living room register to force air through rest of house. Mr Spangler told me that they originally thought the coil assembly was wrong, but found out that the outside compressor assembly was defective. Was looking for a different coil style (like a tent) for us because they noticed when they put their head over top of the coil there was not as much cold air as there was on the side of the coil. Evidently, the cabinet of furnace unit is different then newer ones. 8/29/2014 - Cooled fairly well and cycled off and on both blower and compressor until about 3:30 PM. As unit had to work harder, the compressor would turn off outside for 2 minutes, but blower did not and the usual click at thermostat didn't happen. Compressor makes a thumping/rumbling noise sometimes while running. Air coming out of vents when blower not cutting off with compressor is not as cool as when compressor and blower cycle together. 8/30/2014 - Cool cloudy day. Unit ran, blower and compressor, together. 8/31/2014 - After 10:45AM, blower never cut off when compressor did until once at 2:05PM and again at 8:28 PM. Unit outside makes the thumping/rumbling noise and also a noise similar to something being stuck in a rotating spoke, metallic clanking! Compressor is shutting off for exactly 2 minutes. Thermostat is set at 72 degrees but we feel it is not as cool as it should be. Unit seems to have a problem when the day heats up, or it may be the sun at its peak. The unit cycles on and off, as well as the blower, until it has to run hard to make the house comfortable. Then the compressor starts making noises and shutting off for 2 minutes while the blower runs non-stop. After 3 weeks of service, we need this problem corrected. The service people from Alger Oil seem as perplexed as we are. We are getting sick from the fact that nothing seems to help. We are not able to sleep and must not schedule anything else so that we are available for service calls. It is wrecking our lives. We feel we have been more than patient and would like to officially start a warranty claim so that we have not paid $3400.00 for just a fan, rather then an efficient AC unit! We anticipate some outlandish electric bill as well, adding to our distress!

Date created: 2014-07-09 Name: H. Johnson
Location: Simpsonville, SC

"Handyman"
First, I was mislead by the contractor who I gave the bid to for an addition to our house along with a new hvac unit. The bid called for either a Carrier or Trane unit only. Nothing else. When the new unit was installed it was a Tempstar. When I questioned my contractor about this he said this unit (Tempstar) was made by Trane. That's not what I had specified in the bid. He assured me it was a very good unit and that it would give us good service. Now that I got that off my chest, let me tell you about my experience with Tempstar. Our unit has been in service for almost 7 years. We have had at least one service call each year since it was installed. Of late, the problem is with the coil losing refrigerant. We are fortunate that we purchased a ten year, all parts and labor, warranty. Otherwise, we would have paid out the better part of a thousand dollars for service and parts up until now. The last service call required adding refrigerant due to the coil leaking. I told the service person that I wanted the coil replaced, which he said they would do if this happened again. Today, I called for service (same issue) only to find the local service company is no longer in business. Now I'm looking for someone who will service the unit under the warranty, and where I do not have to pay for a service call, or labor. No luck as yet, but I'm hoping to find someone through Tempstar. PROS: when it works it seems to do a decent job. CONS: noisy, requires frequent service to maintain. I would NOT recommend this unit to anyone. Our experience has not been satisfactory at all. There are other systems out there that are much better. Carrier was my first choice. Had a new one at a previous home and it gave excellent service. No service calls in the 9 years we lived there.

Date created: 2014-07-04 Name: richard woeckener
Location: unionville n.y

"hvac contractor"
To every body out there...this a very good system,,the problems you all are experiencing is installer inflicted problems....its the hvac companys your dealing with is to blame...NOT The manufacturer...installing is the main thing to consider with a hvac COMPANY...sorry to say that...too many non trained employees..i call them hackers....I See it all the time ....as far as warranty...its up to the hvac company you hired to take care of warranty...my customomers never had any major issues at all..i have been doing this for 17 yrs..with very happy customers..and I install every make and model out there...just remember its how good the company you hire..not the manufacturer....STOP Blaming the MANUFACTURER....blame your self for not hiring a outstanding company....DO Your home work...it comes down to more than just a cheap price...you got what you paid for.......the hvac contractor

Date created: 2014-06-22 Name: john stone
Location: columbia. sc

"consumer"
Bad. Replaced "carburator" twice in 15 yrs. Freon leak. $200 to recharge. Tec said too old for maintenance contract. Also said running at 67 degrees would desyroy the unit (have done for 15 yrs). Also said it's "illegal" to run it at 67 degrees. Total junk a/c, and mentally challenged serviced tecs

Date created: 2014-02-15 Name: Tim Smart
Location: Lake Worth, FL

"JUNK!!!!"
As other reviewers have noted, I bought my unit in 2009 and have nothing but problems with this unit. I wonder if it wasn't produced in China. #1- The water pan is plastic and broke- $350 labor to repair. #2- The internal coil has leaked Freon twice and had to be replaced twice in 5 yrs.- Over $650 labor each time. They offer a 10/10/10 yr warranty for $1500? when you buy. Be prepared to shell out for it cuz it will be useful!!! Dont buy!!!

Date created: 2013-06-25 Name: Cool in Illinois
Location: Central Illinois

"Great So Far"
The unit is very quiet and does a great job. The most important thing seems to be the installer. Mine did a great job and went out of his way to make sure everything was done correctly including installing a new pad outside, all new gas lines, repositioning the new furnace instead of just putting it under the old duct work, new duct work throughout the installation, etc. I could have gotten it done for a lot cheaper but I kept reading here where the installation is more important than the equipment. I would buy the same brand again if that is what my installer recommended.

Date created: 2013-06-20 Name: r.w.

"Homeowner"
This unit replaced a Rheem which was 28 years old. The Tempstar is now in its 21 st year summer and has run problem free. It did not start up one summer but it was caused by ants in the contactor which I cleaned out myself (not a fault of the unit). Then one year lost freon,filter dryer sprung a leak,(not a fault of unit). Before every operating season I take it apart clean the coil, clean the leaves out and oil the motor bearings and thats it.

Date created: 2013-05-23 Name: Trei t
Location: Traverlers rest sc

"Completely Leaked All Freon in Two Yrs. Hole in Reverse Valve"
In two years a new unit leaked all freon out thru a hole that all the repair companies said had to have been there when it left the factory. Warranty under no circumstances cover any labor or freon even if the cause was the factory's fault! Warranty is a joke, the company is an even bigger joke! I have been on the phone with them for days! You can't talk to anyone in charge unless you do a write letter to a P.O. Box! I was hung up on because I was told they couldn't do anymore in the customer service number. The company said they would call the repair company that came out but they didn't called the installers who had no idea who looked at it. So I called back again and told them you aren't calling the right person but since you don't get to talk to anyone in charge, the person just takes down a note and the company does the same thing again! It's pointless to try and work with them. Don't buy their product it will be the biggest mistake.

Date created: 2013-05-08 Name: Chris
Location: Albany

"Noisy Units!!!!"
To all the people complaining about your noisy units.. I for one want to tell you that I'm not the same one person who you think wrote all the positive reviews. Nope I'm the guy who worked for a big name awesome reputation company. 15 years ago, I started at $6.75 per hour at a big name company. One day, I learned how to solder. The next I was being sent to million dollar homes to install ac units. After 10 years of installing, I decided for the hell of it to take classes. I just want to let you know that over those 10 years not one single AC I installed was even a little correct! Not even close and this was the most expensive, most reputable company in the area! Big company pay their employees like shit! They don't care! Now owning my own company and just having me and 2 other guys. Shame on big companies! Big company. Guy who has an 8 to 4. Little guys.. Owner and helper who need to do it right and need to make a good name and cannot afford to come back! Your noise is not the unit. My guess is full of air, solder, dirt or who knows what. FYI, do your homework! I've put in tons of different name brands. Just compare the parts! News flash they are the same as the unit that cost double!

Date created: 2013-05-08 Name: Chris
Location: Albany

"Is it the Equipment or the Installer?"
Being a professional in the HVAC field I read these reviews and it makes me laugh! I recently worked at a big name company for 15 years. Let me tell ya people this big name company and just about 90% of other big name company's hire guys who don't know the first thing about heating, cooling. They don't know a thing! Over 10 years installing central air conditioning systems for this big name company. Though I knew it all. Hahahah turns out I didn't know anything myself! Now owning my own company and actually taking classes on the right way to install AC systems. Made me ask myself. Is it the equipment or is it the morons installing them? Guess what?! It's not the equipment! Take my word for it being one of those so called top installers from a big name company! I don't care what you buy chances are the equipment is fine or was, when it left the factory and the idiot that installed it was the one who broke it! If a company comes to your house and installs a unit and is leaving 2 hours later.. Welcome to the world of "this equipment is terrible". You were just the last victim of $10 an hour installer who doesn't know the first thing about air conditioning!