Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2008-12-08 Name: S. CEPPA
Location: Cape Coral, FL

"Rudd 3.5 ton compresser leaking 8 years old"
I can't believe my Ruude 3.5 ton went bad after 8 years. I had other units that lasted 15 with no problems, it's shameful.

Date created: 2008-09-09 Name: Magda Roberts
Location: Houston, TX

"Stay away from Rudd !"
I replaced the original builder installed Trane unit with a Rudd 7 years ago. Since installation we had several problems with it including electrical issues and burned breakers. They repaired it at least two or three times a year since I bought it. Now the compressor is not working and the agent that install the unit is telling me they only last five to seven years. The prior Trane originally installed by the builder lasted twelve years ! I live in Houston and we cannot survive summer without A/C. I will trust Sears next to install a new unit and I will stay away from Rudd.

Date created: 2008-08-20 Name: Teresa Adams
Location: Athens, AL

"Trouble with this unit every since we purchased it."
One year after we bought this unit we started having trouble with it. We have had leaks repaired in the coil twice, and now it needs repairing again. We had so much trouble with getting the company that installed it to come and check it. They finally came one year after they installed it, and put gas in it. They said that they probably just didn't put enough in it when they installed it. That was not the case, because we had it checked the next year, and they found a leak in the coil. This was not the same company that came and fixed the leak. We have had 3 different companies come to check it. It is so hard to get someone to come to check it. The man at the company that repaired the coil said that it was in warranty, but he could fix it, and it would be the same as new. He was wrong. We now have another leak in another place in the coil. Now it is out of warranty. We have paid about $700.00 having the leaks fixed, and gas put in it. Now they tell us they will charge $750.00 for another coil. I would not recommend this brand at all.

Date created: 2008-08-12 Name: B Johnson
Location: Bettendorf, IA

"Never Buy A Ruud - Incredibly Unreliable A/C"
The Ruud A/C was installed in our new house 6 years ago. It breaks down at least twice each summer for various reasons. We get the normal spring maintenance package and that still doesn't make a difference. Never again make that same mistake as I did.

Date created: 2008-08-07 Name: G. Stan
Location: Houston, TX

"RUUD AC = problems"
New house in 2001 with Ruud system throughout the house - once or twice per year service calls for Ruud A/C unit... had to replace the coil on the interior unit ($1500) last month, and now exterior coil needs to be replaced, but will probably replace entire unit (with something other than Ruud) because of warranty concerns or the motor or something else crapping out.

Date created: 2008-07-20 Name: M Ferrell
Location: Tallahassee, Florida

"18 seer rudd a/c"
Had several problems with unit stop coming on. Had to replace electronic on outside unit. Now it runs almost all the time and hardly ever shuts off.

Date created: 2008-07-19 Name: M. Stockwell
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

"UANL unit just put in service"
This unit was just installed when my six year old Rheem died. The difference between the two is like night and day. The Ruud is ice cold and it is whisper quiet too. It is keeping the entire house very comfortable and is going to save me on the electric bill.

Date created: 2008-07-07 Name: June Campbell
Location: Staunton,VA

"Buyers Beware!!!"
Reac Mechanical Services replaced our old central air conditioner unit with a Rudd. Although it would cool my house, my basement was constantly flooded when the unit was running. After two years, my compressor has stopped working. I am told by a Representative of Reac Mechanical Services, that Rudd no longer makes this particular unit, and they cannot find a compressor for my unit. I attempted to turn the unit on in Mid April of this year, 2008, and it is now July 8th, and I still don't have an air conditioner. I was assured that the compressor is still covered under warranty, with the exception of labor costs. I am extremely unhappy with the unit, and the company who installed the unit.

Date created: 2008-07-02 Name: Andrew Halucha
Location: Manchester, NJ

"2 Ton 14 SEER Achiever"
This unit works great, is quiet and cools quickly. Reading some of the other reviews it sounds like people are having installation problems. If the unit freezes up on you that is typically an incorrect "charge". If the house is cooled unevenly that is a duct work problem - the flow isn't balanced properly or the vents aren't large enough. Mine is doing the main floor and basement and works great, cools quickly, and much cheaper than running 3 window units (12k, 8k, and 6k). It is also very quiet!

Date created: 2008-07-01 Name: Andrew Devery
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Ruud A/C"
Our units ( dual zone) are 13 years old this summer and have performed flawlessly. Only maintenance has been the changing of filters and occasionally cleaning the condensers. The scroll compressors just keep plugging along day and night without any problems. The Achiever 10 models installed in our home were basic contractor models and I didnít have high expectations but they have proved trouble-free and cool well.