Consumer Reviews of RUUD central air conditioners

Read more about RUUD central air conditioners

Date created: 2014-06-12 Name: J Hines
Location: Houston Texas

"I bought junk"
Had our system replaced the end of March, it has been down more than has worked. I will never buy another Ruud. It's in the 90's today - I wish the ac worked.

Date created: 2014-04-16 Name: K Pulliam
Location: Southern MD

"Old Ruud Still Working"
We purchased a house a couple years ago with a straight a/c Ruud outdoor unit. Although its just an a/c unit (only runs half of the year) the unit was built in 1983 and it's ran without issue since we've been here. Even being a 9 seer unit in a 2400 sq/ft house built in 1978 (insulation is sparse) the unit still easily keeps up with demand. I've talked to several other installers and most all the big name brands all use the same compressors. Probably going to replace it soon with a heat pump (keep from using so much fuel oil), but I'm definitely going back with Ruud.

Date created: 2014-01-26 Name: ddevereaux
Location: Northeast Florida

"Extremely happy with RUDD .... Installed in 1988 still goes strong!"
We have a condo with the rudd furnace / air conditioner, Apparently it was installed in 1988, It still runs great! It may (or may not) be top of the line but it has always performed great for us. Sad to say we are looking into a new system, good to know we can still count on Ruud products!!

Date created: 2013-09-16 Name: OLGA PINA
Location: Austin, Texas

"Problems With Design"
I have owned this unit since 2004. It had been working and all of a sudden it tripped the fusebox and it went out. I went to the fusebox to fix it and it worked for about 20 minutes and it tripped again. Called repairmen and it seems that their design on my United was flawed. The compressor wires were zip tied to suction line and has rubbed against the insulation off of wire and caused it to arc and made a hole, losing all freon due to that. It's a miracle it just did not explode! VERY POOR DESIGN WHEN ELECTRICAL WIRES ARE ZIP TIED AND CAUSED IT TO FRAY THE WIRING AND THE LIVE WIRE BURNED A HOLE IN THE INSULATED LINE THAT FED FREON TO THE UNIT! MY BILL? $1000.00!

Date created: 2013-09-03 Name: C. Thomas
Location: Hockley, Texas

"The Thing is a Piece of $4500.00 Junk"
The unit we have has been in place about 10 days. It hasn't been working for the past 4 days as it is defective and no repair parts were available. Presently, the temperatures here in the Houston area are between 95-100 degrees with high humidity. It's hot and their equipment and part availability sucks. The cost with installation was around $4500.00 cash. I would not recommend Ruud to anyone. Hot and miserable in Houston.

Date created: 2013-07-28 Name: jimmy jones
Location: mississippi

"Only Use Ruud"
I have a Ruud unit complete system at home, I love it . Have not had any problems at all. I install Ruud units on a daily basis. Rheem and Ruud is the only units I recommend. They run and get the job done and if mess up, it's simple to fix. Some people talk bad about them on here, all newer units have Copeland compressors in them and you will have a few lemons in any unit but Ruud is a very few. Just don't buy a Trane or a Lennox, too expensive to buy and parts are to high and they are junk in my opinion.

Date created: 2013-07-26 Name: Jon
Location: Kingman

"Went Out When the Weather Got Hot"
Our Ruud 5 ton remote AC unit went out last year. The refrigerant leaked out of unit. The original company that installed it when new could not find the leak but re-charged it with R-410A and said let's watch it (he thought it was a schrader valve cap). That cost us $700.00. The next season, we turned it on and it was out of gas again. After reading all the reviews on this site, I don't think I will replace it with a Ruud (made in Mexico) unit. I will try to repair it, the ISO test will cost us another $595.00 just to try to find the leak then more to repair if possible. Junk Junk Junk. I blame all the big companies trying to make more and more money by sending work to other countries for cheap labor and also the EPA for all the stupid regulations placed on American companies that they have a hard time competing.

Date created: 2013-06-25 Name: Shirley glasscock
Location: Richmond, Tx

"Real Estate Agent"
In 2009 I had a Ruud heat pump installed - warranty for labor 1 year. Just over a year, a circuitboard went out cost more than $1000 to fix in labor charges. This year, (2013) a coil leaked and it cost $950.00 labor charges to repair plus the $49.50 charge to diagnose. If the A/C would work, the labor charges would not be so high. I maintain it all year but next time around, it will not be replaced with Ruud.

Date created: 2013-06-11 Name: Contractor
Location: San Antonio TX

"Piece of Junk"
Do not buy Ruud!! I am a contractor and have had to replace Ruud systems that were installed within the last 1-2 years due to leaks in compressor. I have to eat up cost of freon and they do not want to pay you anything for your labor. Horrible service. Do not get Ruud.

Date created: 2013-06-06 Name: m.waters
Location: Richmond, Va

"Great Variety in Ruud's Furnace Selections"
I have had great success with selling Ruud condensing units with minimal at best warranty issues. Would stand behind this equipment all day long. Great looking units and the ease of working on the Achiever units cuts compressor or reversing valve changes in half.