Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of Rheem central air conditioners

Read more about Rheem central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-07-11 Name: L. Marks
Location: Brownsville, Texas

"Should've Done My Research First!!"
Had two Rheem units installed (2 tons) by Ideal A/C in Feb. 2011 and have had A/C guy come once cause it was not cooling right. He said there was no problem, it was too hot and humid outside!!! Later came back 1 unit had completely no freon. One month later, other unit was not working, had to replace dryer and pay labor fees. One month later again came for same unit cause A/C was not cooling at all. He said too much voltage caused breaker to go off cuz freon lines were not working right, so now we have to replace TVX?? I think it's a valve?? What problems!!! Regret getting these units!!

Date created: 2013-07-09 Name: danny A
Location: texas

"Don't Buy"
Unit 15PJL/RHLL purchased unit 10-28-2010. Had to replace coil 7-25-12. Today, 7-09-13 we are told the compressor is bad and needs to be replaced. This unit was purchased new at a cost of over $6,500 and it is junk.

Date created: 2013-07-07 Name: M. Bobrowski
Location: Rhode Island

"Do NOT Buy a Rheem!!"
I live in New England and had a Rheem central air conditioning system installed less than 2 years ago. So far it has not made it through even one cooling season without problems. The blower motor had to be replaced half way onto the first cooling season. Now, on 4th of July weekend the motor died again and of course, it is very hot and humid. Even when the system is working, it does not really work on humid days. Do not buy a Rheem!!

Date created: 2013-07-01 Name: L. Hanson
Location: Santa Clarity, Ca

"Unit Does Not Work. RHEEM Expects Customer to Pay"
This unit was purchased in November 2012. It arrived with no coolant but installer was able to fill it and get it working for a test. As soon as hot weather set in, though, and it actually had to run, it stopped cooling after a couple of days. Contractor repaired it again, but the same thing happened. Now we're going through the heat wave with no air conditioning. Rheem will send replacement parts (a week later) but will not pay any labor or even shipping. This warranty is bogus as the unit never worked and Rheem is not assuming the responsibility. Would strongly recommend never going with Rheem.

Date created: 2013-06-11 Name: M Perino
Location: Illinois

"Ran Great for 27 Years"
I never had to do anything to this unit until it finally quit this year. Put in, in 1985 and literally never had to do anything except keep it clean.

Date created: 2013-05-31 Name: DAN CICONE
Location: marylaND

"3 Ton Unit"
Lasted me 13 years so far, leaks some freon 22. Looking to buy a Trane going with the warranty like 100000 mile cars warranty. I did have one problem with the installer, it's a Rheem. It says so in the condenser, big letters but the evaporator wasn't a Rheem, and the pan rusted till the furnace was well rusted. If someone says their putting a brand name in, better be sure it's not a cheap shit evaporator he's sticking in there. They can only fool me once cheap ass installer.

Date created: 2013-05-17 Name: Rob R
Location: Valencia, CA

"So Far, So Quiet!"
We had a new Rheem 16 seer 2 stage AC system installed. The AC is the RARL-060JEZ, a 5 ton non-communicating 2 stage compressor. I wanted 2 stage mostly because we were upsizing from 4 to 5 tons. The 4 worked well in most circumstances and I didn't want to lose the ability to get both floors consistently cool. The other thing I was interested in was to have a quiet system. Our unit sits outside our dining room window. I was very excited to see that the Rheem RARL-060JEZ is a very "short" (33 inches tall) unit. It seems most of the newer high efficiency units are taller rather than wide. The Rheem fit beautifully and doesn't block the view out the window. The biggest surprise is the noise level, or lack thereof. You can stand next to the window, mere inches from it, and not hear the unit at all. You can hear the soft sound of air rushing through the vent, and that's about it. Even the start-up sound is virtually inaudible from inside. It's incredibly quiet, far more quiet than I would have expected. Only time will tell about the reliability, but so far I'm extremely impressed.

Date created: 2013-05-13 Name: A.S.
Location: PHOENIX

"Rheem does Have an Evaporator Coil Problem"
I have handled Rheem for over 22 years. Over all, they generally outperformed most anything out there. Sure they had problems here and there. Starting in 2005 when they came out with their new "designated horizontal" heat pumps, things changed. In a nutshell, the evaporator coils do leak freon chronically. I have had to replace over 20 coils in these units. All of which I put in. Also had some problems with the change- over valves. Split heat pump evaporator coils also have chronic leak issues. Some of the units are on the third evaporator coil. I have customers tell me to my face that they think their unit is a peice of junk and are unhappy with them. I would be to. Once I realized this was not an isolated problem on a couple of units, I jumped ship in 2009 and started carrying another brand with superb success and literally no call backs. Thank god. I do care about my customers. Unfortunately, the labor is only covered for the first year. Only if extended warranty was purchased would it be covered beyond that. Parts are covered for ten years with online registration. I feel as a contractor that I got screwed by Rheem just like my customers.

Date created: 2013-05-02 Name: Sam Vagle
Location: Bakersfield, CA

"Nothing but Trouble"
On March 2009, I purchased a very expensive Rheem combination gas heating/electric cooling AC unit, model rrpl-b048jk10x. In 2012, the dual capacitor went out then lost 3 lbs. of r-410A freon, again lost 2 lbs. freon and poor wiring installation. As I write this review, I am now awaiting a new coil that has been ordered. I paid $5,700 for this unit, and I am now approaching approximately $3,000 in labor fees for repairs of warranted parts. My repairman contacted Rheem who openly admitted to him, of several manufacture defects of this particular model. Stay away from Rheem!

Date created: 2013-02-21 Name: Donald A. Martin Sr.
Location: Orlando,Florida

"They Did The Right Thing"
I bought a new Rheem system from a local Authorized Dealer 3 years ago. Had a few problems (4)with-in that 3years that cost me money every time for the service calls. The problem was always with the units freon too much not enough etc. Back and forth! Finally got a guy Rob @Global cooling that knew what he was doing and found what he believes was a Factory defect in the Coils causing the problem. Contacted Rheem and not only did they replace the Coil under warranty, but after a little talking to them,"They Did The Right thing" and also paid into the service call fees that I had to pay. Thank You Rheem!