Consumer Reviews of Payne central air conditioners

Read more about Payne central air conditioners

Date created: 2012-05-05 Name: Shocker
Location: Indiana

"Decent unit at an affordable price"
My old Bryant unit did not work this spring when I switched over from heat to cold. I had a contractor inspect and he gave me 2 options. There was a leak in the system and the capacitor was going bad. I had 2 options: either repair my 16 year old unit by pumping more r22 freon and replacing the capacitor or replace the indoor coil and the outside unit with a new ac. The repair option estimate was approx $500.00 and replacing with all new system was approx $3500.00 I almost had a heart attack when I saw the quote. This whole hvac contract deal is a Ripoff. Thank God, a friend of mine who is a licensed hvac tech has been a blessing and helped me fix the issue. First, we decided to just pump some freon and see if the unit would hold up. I paid $160.00 for the repair v/s 500 if I used a contractor !!! It worked for a month and then the motor quit. At this time, I decided to replace the unit. We bought a Payne 3t - 13 Seer, new indoor coil, filter, flush kit, some couplings, armaflex sleeve. I paid $1600 to my friend which includes parts and labor. I would have spent more than double if I used a contractor. We bought all the parts from Johnstone supply house in Indy. They sell parts and provide pricing only to licensed techs. It is a bad deal because folks like me who cannot afford to spend $$$$ have to depend on these contractors. It is nothing but a union mentality and does no good to consumers. I read several reviews before buying and could hardly find anything useful in my decision making process. Everyone keeps saying that it all depends on installation. I agree with that statement to some extent but it is just bologne ! It is not rocket science . You just need the right equipment and tools which many of us don't have. Brazing torches, nitrogen, extra freon, vacuum pump, special plumbing tools etc etc. It took approx. 4-5 hrs to finish the job and then we checked for leaks and took some temp measurements. The house is now cool at 68f. I thank God for folks who can be a blessing. I disagree with the hvac blog spot. They don't talk about prices or any tips because they want you to spend $$$$$. It is not a fair trade system. I am sure the socialist lobbyists keep us away from fair practice trades. I think every home owner should have the freedom to buy and install. We should not depend on others. I know many of you will disagree with this but that's just plain fact and truth hurts!

Date created: 2012-03-16 Name: g. hogan
Location: indianapolis in 46203

"2 Days After Warranty, It Stoped Working"
The compressor went out 2 days after warranty went out ,the a/c never keep my house cool and was very noise from day one . I tell everybody that I can payne is junk

Date created: 2012-01-14 Name: billy shepherd
Location: port orange fl

"nothing but problem"
In less than three months the heating motor and heating element had a short and burned the wire harness. It also burned a hole in the mount. This could be very unsafe I think the company should pay for the labor on this.

Date created: 2011-10-17 Name: subcooled.ca
Location: Canada, Ontario, mississauga

"Great Product"
I install Payne's for a living and never have problems with them. Installation of any a/c is the key, if you are looking for a cheap install, you will get what you pay for. I always tell my clients that the install is much more important than the brand Proper refrigeration practices must be followed or a compressor burnout is not uncommon after a couple of years.

Date created: 2011-07-20 Name: j. samons
Location: south point , ohio

"outstanding unit"
This past april, turned my 12 year old Bryant brand ac on only to find out a storm 3 days prior had blown a hole in side of compressor from lighting strike. As this older Bryant was a r-22 unit, I was unable to replace with Bryant brand. a/c contractor stated that Carrier corp still marketed units under the Payne brand (budget, contractor equipment). Installed 4 ton unit in early april, as of today, no problems. Very quiet, keeps up with cooling load, and is backed by Carrier. cant go wrong. and yes, it is all in how it is installed.

Date created: 2011-06-27 Name: lockhouse
Location: hagerstown, MD

"payne, carrier"
Bought a home last year ,have a Carrier unit inside 05' and Payne 09' on the outside unit. Both carried a 5 year parts warranty. Had problems both in heat of summer and the cold winter(high electric bills)To the point that I can't keep the contractors coming out. Don't even bother seeing if Carrier will help even if under warranty. I have to replace the whole system. Will never recommend or put a Carrier in my home.

Date created: 2011-04-23 Name: Mike
Location: New Orleans

"Trash"
Three years and compressor is toast. A/C company told me it's a bottom line cheap unit paid for by home warrenty company. Getting a Goodmann

Date created: 2011-04-21 Name: Steve
Location: Johnson City, TN

"BOTH EXPANSION VALVES"
Had two Payne units installed 5 months ago, and had nothing but service call after service call. Come to find out - both expansion valves were DEFECTIVE and had to be replaced. So, I did some research and found that this is ONE OF MANY ONGOING PROBLEMS with Payne. Wish I had known this $1,800 before! STAY AWAY FROM PAYNE! IT'S A PAIN IN THE ASS AND A PAIN FOR YOUR POCKETBOOK. I now wish I had listened to my HVAC contractor and spent the extra $600 on Goodman units!

Date created: 2010-11-23 Name: Susan
Location: slindamood@yahoo.com

"Do Not Purchase a Payne"
Our Payne was installed 2 years ago. Already the compressor has gone out. Although the compressor is under warranty, the company does not cover the labor charge to replace it. The price to replace the compressor is $900 plus tax. This is outrageous, when a major purchase is only 2 years old.

Date created: 2010-08-30 Name: Susan Bozeman
Location: Fairhope AL.

"Payne is correct, it has been nothing but a Pain"
We purchased our new built home in Jan 2004 and started with the problems in June 2005, and have had nothing but problems for then on. It is my understanding that the copper used for tubing during this time was sub standard. Payne was contacted and has not assisted with any of repairs. I will not and would put another Payne (pain) unit in this house.