Consumer Reviews of NORDYNE central air conditioners

Read more about NORDYNE central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-11-26 Name: Mickey Cook
Location: Houston

"Service Contractor"
You know some of these units were good but a few years ago, they had some terrible condensers. One in particular we replaced the entire unit 3 times and changed the compressor once. They had a harmonic problem that caused a leak at the condenser coil distributor. A recurring problem in other units. The local distributor quit handling them. It is a Nordyne, going by the name Philco, Frigidaire, Tappan, Maytag and Gibson. We will never purchase them again. Went simply with Ruud which we almost never have problems. Ended up putting a Ruud in the house we replaced the Nordyne in repeatedly. No problems since.

Date created: 2013-10-14 Name: Brian porter
Location: Hobe sound fl

"Says Model FS4BI-O36K, Piece of Feces, Misery to Get Anybody Who Knows/Wants to Service Them, Thermostat Nightmare, Quiet!"
Have Q drive 23 seer, Nordyne brags about quiet. Yes, since it often does not work, local dealer of Frigidaire will not sell them. Reluctant to service, 7 out of 8 reports saying they are crap. Beware, getting thru Frigidaire and Nordyne people is difficult. I can talk to the pope easier than getting Frigidaire or Nordyne manager to return call. This am after 22-minute hold, back to me by tomorrow company droll said, useless. Thermostat too confusing, definitely an overpriced "quiet" piece of feces. Lousy support, difficult, expensive to fix. Even if you find someone without manufacturer help. Crap! Crap! Crap! Ask me what I really think. BEWARE. Recommend to your enemies!

Date created: 2013-06-25 Name: Sandy Shafer
Location: Elkview WV

"Terrible"
Got this AC with my new home. Worked fine for 6 years and now it has quit. Such a shame that a person pays so much for something to just last 6 years. We didn't even use it that much. Never ran it at night. Shame on the company for making a piece of junk.

Date created: 2013-06-07 Name: Wayne Peterson
Location: Lake City , Fl.

"Bad Units"
Came with my new home as a 16 seer unit, at first did its job well. However at almost 2 years, its freon accumulator failed bringing the compressor to quit. Found a great service company to replace compressor, then found reason that it failed (Accumulator). They fixed that and replaced compressor under warranty (if you call it that, had to pay labor). Come to find out Ironwood Homes never registered unit so I only have a 5 year warranty. Shame on Ironwood and Nordyne. I will not put another dime in this brand. Further, I am telling everyone I know to stay away from Nordyne.

Date created: 2012-09-07 Name: D.Carroll
Location: Lincolnton, NC

"Don't buy Nordyne..."
These systems are garbage so if you are determined to buy one make sure you get an extended labor warranty because if not you're going to spend a lot of your money on service calls for the replacement of components that have design defects. I've got two units and after the 2 year mark they've begun falling apart. The contractor that installed them for me has admitted that many of his other customers where he installed Nordynes are experiencing similar problems as well.

Date created: 2011-06-07 Name: Ramzi
Location: Grapevine Texas

"Tappan / Nordyne Stick and so does..."
And so does their customer service. A 3 year old (5 ton 14 seer) unit has never cooled as well as the 10 seer it replaced. Last year we replaced the 'coil' ($900 labor) and this year the compressor ($800-$1500 labor). Poor customer service from Nordyne as well. When we call trying to find on parts they referred us to the same distributor who said that they had order the part and had no idea of the cost for shipping. Cost of shipping???? Hell I paid the cost of shipping when I bought the original unit. Shame on you Nordyne....

Date created: 2010-10-28 Name: A Cartwright
Location: Branford, FL

"Buyer Beware"
This unit is not even 3 years old. Within 6 months of installation of NEW unit, the compressor went. 112 degree heat index and in FL. Thermo. was set at 75. 6 months after that, the compressor fan (on top of unit) went. IN the first 5 months of the second year, we had to replace dual capacitor (? what I was told) and now, just shy of 3 year of age, the squirrel cage ECM motor is shot. We live in north FL and within 100 miles, only 1 dealer will work on it. I called our installer at 9:00 am to be told he would be out between 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm. At 2:45, he called to let me know we were SOL, they won't fix them anymore under or out of warranty. So 19 companies and 19 phone calls later, we found someone to fix it under our 5 year all parts warranty. The installer has told us on each visit that this system, new, has been rebuilt completely. AWFUL. We are working with our home dealer to get a NEW replacement unit of a different brand. What WE PAID for in the first place. Not a lemon. Every A/C company I called said they no longer will work on these for the simple fact they had TOO MANY CALLBACKS for repair making them look like a bad repair company or installer. THAT is AWFUL!!!!