Consumer Reviews of MAYTAG central air conditioners

Read more about MAYTAG central air conditioners

Date created: 2014-05-15 Name: J Porter
Location: Ft oglethorpe, Ga

"JUNK!"
We built our house in Dec, 2006 and have had nothing but problems with this unit. Have replaced compressor, capacitor, repaired leak in coils and now have another leak to the tune of $917.00 dollars. So, instead of wasting any more money we are getting a new unit. Sept 2013 spent 370.00 and November 780.00 on compressor and now this. Will never buy another Maytag. Tried emailing all I got was a run around nobody would take responsibility for anything. Pass the buck. Every one of them I talked to said I needed to talk to someone else to get the same answer. Very disgusted with Maytag. Will never own Maytag anything!!

Date created: 2014-03-20 Name: D. Davidson
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

"Maytag is junk"
We have had the unit for 4 1/2 years and have had to have it worked on every year. Just had a repair man out today and he would not even work on it said it was nothing but trouble. Will never buy anything Maytag again.

Date created: 2014-01-21 Name: Dr. Laurence Grayhills
Location: West Palm Beach, FL

"Maytag ACs are Horrible"
We have had a Maytag ac (not sure of the series or model), but in the four years we have owned it, it has been repaired no less than 20 times (albeit free of charge...). The unit cost more than twice what any other unit would have cost, with a great warranty. It just doesn't perform dependably!!!

Date created: 2013-12-21 Name: J CODY
Location: RIVERSIDE CALIFORNIA

"Wake up people"
I'm a hvac tech and I have been installing Maytag for two years now. No problems at all, truthfully most air conditioners are the same. Just go for warranty and quality contractor. All air conditioners are only as good as the contractor installing them! A poor install will result in multiple call backs for warranty problems.

Date created: 2013-12-18 Name: S Brown
Location: Concord, NC

"BEWARE Maytag air handlers!"
I wanted to share my experience with Nordyne hvac (doing business as Maytag). In December 2012 I had two completely new high efficiency ac / heat pump systems installed. In less than 8 months the blower motors on both air handlers went out. One is a 2 ton system and one a 2.5 ton system. Air handlers are variable speed. The air handler model numbers are B6VKMAX30K-B and B6VMAX24K-B. The contractor who put them in informed me that they had replaced "a lot" of blower motors on these air handlers throughout 2013. Maytag pats itself all over the back on its web site about the hundreds of factory checks that are performed before the units are shipped. yeah right Note that Maytag offers ZERO labor warranty so it's all on you. I contacted them about any kind of labor warranty they would offer at least on the air handlers since the units were obviously defective to begin with and they just laughed at me.

Date created: 2013-10-23 Name: M. Youn
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

"Happy with My Maytag"
After three summers in Ohio, my Maytag air conditioner is doing well. House is cool when needed. No service needed other than typical annual cleaning. Price was the best I could find at that time. I am going to get a new furnace and would consider their product for that also.

Date created: 2013-08-06 Name: P. Smith
Location: Daytona Beach

"Poor Quality - Poor Performance"
I have the same problems the other "very unsatisfied" customers have. I have two units, a 3 ton and a 2 ton. I have many service calls. I've spent $500 replacing leaking coolant and $100 on leak searches. Don't buy Maytag central A/C. $89 for warranty paperwork.

Date created: 2013-05-27 Name: Dave Kaiser
Location: Crystal River, FL

"Always Breaking Down"
I would like to add my complaint to the chorus here. We purchased our central AC unit two years ago with Action AC making numerous claims about it's reliability, economical and how great this system would be-- NOT! We live in Florida. This system breaks down every time there is a hot spell. It is down again now and summer has barely begun. This system is supposed to come with a 12-year warranty but like other unsatisfied customers have mentioned, the system breaks down every few months. While the system is supposedly under warranty, every time we call for a repair there is always a charge for labor. We also had to buy a maintenance contract which wasn't cheap. My wife is checking with Florida officials to determine if there is any kind of AC lemon law that would require Maytag/Action Air to replace this unit. It has been nothing but a lot of trouble. The 20 year old AC system they replaced worked better than the new one!

Date created: 2012-08-12 Name: L. Brown
Location: New Orleans, LA

"Do not buy Maytag"
I purchased a Maytag central a/c system for close to $13,000 about 6 years ago. Problems began after 10 to 12 months. The company who swindled me into this product has had to come fix it 1 to 3 times per year since. Every time a technician comes to my home, he discovers that I yet again have a warranty claim. The warranty has paid for nearly every part of my system to be replaced over time. This includes -but is not limited to- a cracked drain pan (which leaked water into/on my walls/hallway/bedroom and wood floors) coils, condenser, control panel & refrigerant leakage. Every time this garbage needs to be fixed, I have to adjust my schedule for an appointment. And I have to pay $80 per appointment regardless of what the warranty pays. I also put out about $100 per year for regular maintenance. My a/c company actually has the nerve to complain to me that they're loosing money every time they come out to fix it. I doubt the legitimacy of any positive opinion of Maytag air conditioning. Investing into Maytag has -by far- been the worst decision I have made as a homeowner.

Date created: 2012-06-28 Name: DB
Location: Austin, TX

"DO NOT BUY"
I purchased this unit 6 years ago upon the recommendation of the a/c technician who conveniently sold his business soon after I bought this horrible unit. Last year in the midst of a Texas summer the unit stopped working and my hell began. First - no one works on maytag. I called every a/c repair in my area and they all said "no". Most would not even come out to look at the unit because they have never seen a Maytag a/c! The guys that did come out had 50 years of experience between them and all stated that they have never in their careers seen nor heard of a Maytag A/C. The warranty is worthless, as no one will work on the unit and the nearest dealer is three hours away. The warranty pays for 1 hour travel time and two hours of work - get the picture. Getting assistance from the warranty company is insulting. Placed on hold while being shuffled to countless departments all of whom have no interest or ability to help. A complaint to the BBB resulted in a response from the warranty representative that was filled with lies. At one point the warranty representative actually questioned whether I had a warranty! The unit cost me over $6,000.00 and after a mere 6 years I must buy a new unit. I am sending a second letter to the BBB and this time the FTC. I hope that after more disgruntled customers send in complaints in a few years a class action suit will result. DO NOT BUY A MAYTAG A/C.