Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of Islandaire central air conditioners

Date created: 2014-06-03 Name: J. Falk
Location: New York, NY

"Solid and quiet unit!"
I've read the reviews below and I'm not exactly sure what these people are talking about. My unit was installed two years ago by Major Air and it's still cool and quiet. I waited about two or three weeks for the unit to be delivered and since then I haven't had any issues. The contractor recommended I have it cleaned once a year and I stay on top of the filters so maybe that's why I have had better luck. For the price and quality, I would definitely recommend this company.

Date created: 2014-01-30 Name: Burned by Islandaire
Location: Amherst, NH

"Islandaire Horrible Experience"
I made the mistake of buying an Islandaire ptac in 2011, a through-the- wall combination air conditioner and heater, the kind you see in motels and lower price hotels. It never made it one full year without repairs. First it melted itself, then it wouldn't cool. Then the fan shaft assembly broke. I had to threaten to sue them to get them to replace it under warranty. Then the new replacement unit started breaking down right after the warranty expired. I finally bit the bullet and junked it last year and bought a new Amana. This was a very expensive mistake. All of this is true and I have the documentation to prove it. Do yourself a favor and do not buy, it is absolute junk.

Date created: 2013-10-27 Name: John R
Location: New York

"Buyer Beware"
Moved into a condo unit in January 2013. The PTAC unit in the main living area made a loud rumbling noise from the day we moved in. Contacted Islandaire numerous times until a rep finally came and said unit was fine. Then started getting error messages on the unit and the unit would get hot and shut off. Finally, had a compressor replaced by an authorized service repairman. Unit worked for 2 days and then again started shutting off. When I finally got through to Islandaire, they claim the unit was not serviced by an authorized repairman and now say the warranty is void. The company rarely responds to emails. You need to chase them constantly. You find yourself calling and writing emails that go unanswered. Second repair, they wanted to charge me $220 for a service call and then $850 for new compressor. The unit is not even 10 months old and hasn't worked from day 1. That said, these are the loudest PTAC units I have ever experienced. It sounds like a jet engine running in the rooms. You can't sleep with A/C on at night because of the noise. It is the worst company to do business with. I would recommend electric units rather than deal with this company.

Date created: 2013-08-09 Name: J. Hyman
Location: Bronx, NY

"Islandaire Lemon"
Moved into new construction condo on April 23, 2010. Air conditioner died in July 2013. Paid Islandaire $173 to tell me machine is dead and I need a new one. No warranty because warranty was 5 years for compressor from date developer purchased unit in 2006. Company would not consider 5 year warranty on parts/labor on replacement unit which costs $2000 in return for replacing with same brand. Sales claims unit should last 10-15 years. Would not recommend this brand to anyone. I do not blame developer for the lack of customer service from Islandaire.

Date created: 2012-05-26 Name: G. Huang
Location: New York

The fan stopped working right after the 12 months warranty ended. Almost every owner in my condo building complained about their units. The fan is too laud and one owner had a gas leak.

Date created: 2011-08-07 Name: Joe Nagrano
Location: Downtown - NYC

"Islandaire Air Conditions Suck"
I spent $2,000 on a Islandaire 18,000 btu air conditioner and it never worked. I got it through Norwest. The unit does not cool, it vibrates and is very loud. The company and the reseller have done nothing. Norwest Air Conditioning and Islandaire have left me holding the bag. They stalled so the warranty would wear out and I got stuck with the thing. Do not buy Islandaire air conditions.

Date created: 2010-09-16 Name: Vessi

"Worst company"
This is the worst company. I ordered a sleeve in April. Currently is middle of September and I still do not have it. Last time I spoke with the sales person he told me that they have quite a few 6 months old cases.

Date created: 2010-07-24 Name: Vlad

"model ez rm"
The worst ac. Seven units were installed in our building and 4 failed in one-two years (fans on the condensers). Customer be aware!