Consumer Reviews of Heil central air conditioners

Read more about Heil central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-08-05 Name: Beth M.
Location: South

"Loyal Service for 10 Years"
We bought our home new in 2000 with the builder having installed the Heil unit. The compressor just went out and we are now having to replace it. Living in the south, we have given this unit a good work out. It has been in the 90's to 100's for most of the summer of '10. We have had nothing replaced on this unit until now. I wish it had lasted a little longer, but I have been very satisfied for 10 years.

Date created: 2010-08-03 Name: C. Hull

"Always some type of problem"
We had two Heil a/c units installed in our new body shop building in 3/2006. To date, we have spent $827 for service calls on our "under warranty" units. In 8/09, we had to have a compressor replaced. The part was under warranty but the labor cost $440. So far, this summer, we've had the capacitor replaced in one unit a month ago. Now, the other unit is not working & I haven't got the diagnosis yet. All I know is there will be no more Heil for us!

Date created: 2010-07-20 Name: A. Flynn

"Piece of CRAP"
Bought home brand new. Every year since, we have had to have something replaced. We have owned the home 10 yrs and this summer alone 2 service calls within one month. I will never own another one.

Date created: 2010-07-17 Name: John R. DeBlasio

"best a. c. ever"
Have had Heil AC for 25 yrs. Had our first problem this wk when repair person came out. He could not believe we have had this AC for that long. Problem was with the breaker switch in garage, not the system. His comment was we should get a few more yrs out of the system. Will definitely buy your product again.

Date created: 2010-07-16 Name: Dawn Corcino

"JUNK"
My house is less than 3 years old and had one service call in the first year as unit would not work. Less than 2 years later, it will not turn on at all. This came with the house...I know what brand I will not use to replace the unit.... Heil

Date created: 2010-06-25 Name: Melinda Brown

"Absolutely JUNK"
I bought a vacation home that has a Heil central a/c unit installed about 8 years ago. The unit has never worked properly. Out of the 5 years I've owned the house, I have only had 1 summer where I haven't had issues. I've replaced the compressor (under warranty) once, the fan motor twice, and other assorted parts. I am not installing a brand new unit and it will not be Heil. I've never owned such a piece of junk in my life as a homeowner......absolutely junk. Let the buyer beware....do not buy this product.

Date created: 2010-06-25 Name: Julie G.

"Cool & Happy. Fix, Don't Replace!"
I appreciate this site and the people who have shared their experiences. I don't know if newer models are as good as my Heil 2.5 ton CA5030QKB a/c which worked fine for 18 years. The only service calls were year 1 & 2 because of freon leakage and loose insulation (which thanks to your postings, I know was an installation problem not with the Heil). Being a woman, I feel more vulnerable to be taken advantage of. I was worried if I called someone who sells new ones they would say mine couldn't be fixed or that it would cost way too much. So, I called the local tech school and left a message for the hvac instructor to refer me to someone trustworthy. He called back and gave me four places. I chose Foremen Heating & Ventilating in Green Bay. When I talked to the owner, Dennis, he assured me that usually A/Cs can be fixed. a serviceman was at my house in less than an hour and in one hour he had it fixed! It turned out that mice had made a nest in the control box and chewed up some of the wires, which he said happens often. He spliced the bad wires and replaced a control box they had ruined and the Heil started up right away!! Also a good place to check out a company is The Better Business Bureau website. Foremen was rated a+ ! Good luck and stay cool.

Date created: 2010-06-24 Name: Karen Roberts

"Heil Sucks"
My home came with a Heil unit. I know now they must be bottom of the heap. Air quit working, so I called a tech. Tech put the fan in too tight and it cracked the lid on the outside unit. Since Heil didn't make my unit "long enough for them to break", I can't get the part and must replace the whole unit. I won't be buying from Heil, for sure.

Date created: 2010-06-10 Name: The Binghams
Location: Buffalo, New York

"Heil Evaportor Coil Failed After 2 Summers"
We live in Buffalo, NY, and as a result, our ac is used relatively little. We purchased our Heil unit with r410a refrigerent in July 07, and discovered it had "rotted out" when we went to use it this spring. It's indoor evaporator coil is already shot, and the estimate is several hundreds of dollars to replace it, on top of the fee for the service call. Only parts are covered after one year, and Heil, who have been painful to deal with and have added insult to injury with their manner, assumes no responsibility for the fact that they sold us crap. We will never purchase anything Heil made again!

Date created: 2010-06-09 Name: Tom and Donna Bingham
Location: Buffalo, New York

"Heil Central AC is Complete Crap!"
First off, let me say that we live in Buffalo, NY, meaning that when we even use our central air, it isn't for long or stressed in ways like it might be in the South! We had our Heil installed in July, 07, and when we went to turn it on this spring, discovered that the coil had "rotted to the core" (ie: rusted out completely and leaked out all its r410a refrigerant). We have had to pay nearly $100 for the service call to diagnose it, and expect to pay over $400 more for replacement as the labor is not covered. Only the parts are (for five years) ...but given what I am now reading about this product, worry that we will continue to experience difficulties with their product. Also, it should be noted that our local installer is giving us a significant discount to replace this part, or it would be nearly twice the price. Also, any attempts we made to discuss this matter directly with Heil and see if they would back up their faulty product by extending our warranty for labor or covering this repair cost, was met with frustration and futility. Their main rep. was like talking to a broken record, and clearly has been well versed in the ways of explaining away any fault or liability and in adding further frustration to customers who are realizing that they have been sold a load of crap, literally and figuratively!!