Consumer Reviews of GENERAL ELECTRIC central air conditioners

Read more about GENERAL ELECTRIC central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-08-13 Name: N.Cardenas
Location: Miami,Fl

"Great A/C Equipment"
Our 2 units were a 2 ton GE central A/C for the bedrooms and another 3 ton GE unit for the rest of the house. Both units were installed in 1980 when our house was built. The 3 ton unit was replaced in 2004 and the 2 ton unit will be replaced this week, neither unit suffered a major malfunction in all these years. The reason we replaced them was both had low seer (8.5) compared to 12.5 and 16 seer that we have now. I don't think that no present brands are built with the quality and know-how of the past.

Date created: 2011-09-06 Name: S W
Location: Raleigh, NC

"Where is GE when you need them?"
An echo to Mike S. of Florida: What a great GE central heat and air unit I have owned over the past 34 years. Except for only one service call (because of ants wrapped around some warm electrical parts), no one has touched this unit in 34 years, not even a single "maintenance" call. But, unfortunately, all good things must come to an end and here I am in an hot house waiting for the ac guy to arrive, hopefully, to fix "old reliable" and spare me the misery so many of you have endured as you consider which "made in China" piece of junk to buy. Each time I relay how long my GE has lasted, I can almost hear the guy's jaw drop on the other end of the line. They quickly add that I should figure about 10 to 15 years for anything you buy now. Why is this so?

Date created: 2011-05-25 Location: La Mesa, CA

"GE Air Conditioner - In-Wall Unit"
I have been the owner of a GE In-Wall Air Conditioner for the past 6 years. I am happy to say that it has kept running the entire time, needs very little maintenance and has performed beyond our expectations. My one dislike is that the directional vanes that control the angle of the breeze can only be oriented in one uniform direction. I would prefer to direct air more precisely. Other than that, the controls are simple and there are several levels of both cooling and warming settings. We only use it a few months out of the year, but when we do, it does a good job of cooling the room down.

Date created: 2010-11-08 Name: Mike S.
Location: Lakeland, Florida

"They don't make the like this anymore !"
We have had the same GE central heat and air unit in our Florida home for the past 30+ years. It's been a real work horse! We added on to our house 15 years ago and it still managed to keep the house warm and cool. Unfortunately, after all this time, the drip pan has rusted out along with some of the supports for the coil on the inside unit and I've run out of tricks to keep it working efficiently. (But it does still run !) Reading all the problems with the cheaply made, newer systems that pervade the market, I'm not looking forward to this ordeal.

Date created: 2010-09-26 Name: John Peterson
Location: Cottonwood, AZ

"Single room window"
I use this unit in a small shed size workshop, and in Arizona it definately gets a work out. Runs cold as new if possible just the same as 8 years ago when we purchased it