Consumer Reviews of CARRIER central air conditioners

Read more about CARRIER central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-05-07 Name: ecwingen

"LOUDER THAN OLD UNIT!"
Just had a 3 ton 12/14 seer package unit installed; is energystar model for the tax credit. It cools the house ok, but it is louder than the 20 year old Amana it replaced! The compressor makes a horrible buzzing sound that we can hear throughout the house. It makes your teeth vibrate and produces a headache in a matter of minutes. We were told the unit would be no louder than a new refrigerator, which was a big lie. The neighbors have complained already; they never complained about the sound of the old unit.

Date created: 2009-02-21 Name: Unhappy in North Florida
Location: North Florida

"Nightmare in North Florida"
Carrier Infinity - Just don't do it. Replaced 2 units with 2 Carrier Infinity ..... only one of the old units was broken. Assured our power bills would go down 50% .... and they WENT UP over 33% in KW usage and more in $$$. Perhaps I'll contact the parent company, United Technologies. I suspect the parent company does NOT have a clue how many DISSATISFIED and DISGUSTED customers they have. What a way to ruin a Brand Name like Carrier. Our service provider stalled and stalled on getting an appointment with the Carrier Rep - still hasn't happened yet, the appointment was postponed. With a BAD installation, you might as throw your money down a rat hole. Oh, yeah, Carrier, the manufacturer, doesn't really stand behind their product. They pass you off to the Carrier Independent DISTRIBUTOR. That's like GM or Ford ignoring their warranty obligations and you having to rely on your local dealership to HONOR the warranty. Oh, yeah, the unit is VERY LOUD.

Date created: 2008-12-30 Name: Art
Location: Las Vegas, NV

"Package Unit 10 Seer"
After 13 years, finally replaced my two 10 seer Carrier package units which were builder installed in 1995. Other than replacing the control board for $550 on downstairs unit in 2007, and the upstairs unit quit heating in Dec 2008, never really had any major problems. I could have replaced the control board on the upstairs unit, but with wear and tear in the desert heat over time resulting in broken frames on the units and bearings starting to go, decided to upgrade. Switched to American Standard 14 seer, received lifetime maintenance checks, and 10 year warranty on parts and labor. Why switch? Carrier is not the easiest to fix, it took three different contractors before we found one who was lucky enough and skilled enough to figure out the control board was at fault. American Standards are a lot easier to diagnose and we couldn't turn the deal down, saved a lot compared to what new Carriers would cost these days.

Date created: 2008-12-11 Name: B. Swivel
Location: San Antonio, TX

"Condo owner"
Have a small 1 1/2 ton A/C unit for a 900sqft condo in S. Texas. In my condo project this builders quality unit still has aprox 60% of the original units operating since the project was built in 1982. Mine has just quit after 26 years, with me being the sole owner/occupier of the home for that period. I'm surprised to find Carrier not highly recommended while looking for a replacement....will explore all options.

Date created: 2008-09-23 Name: J. JACKMAN
Location: Tucson, AZ

"CARRIER A/C"
We paid extra when our house was built to upgrade to a higher seer than was standard with the house. We have been very satisfied with the unit. other than service calls for a seasonal check we have had no problems. the other homes in the area who did not upgrade are not as satisfied as their units have to work harder to keep the house cool. as a result, their air conditioning bills are twice what mine are. sometimes folks are unhappy for reasons that are really their own fault by not doing the research to actually see what a/c is appropriate for their square footage.

Date created: 2008-09-10 Name: Irene Thiel
Location: San Diego, CA

"Unhappy Camper"
Spent $3300 in 2003 for a brand new Carrier A/C unit. Rarely home, so the actual usage has been minimal, but every time it gets hot my A/C doesn't work. I have had numerous service calls, and then this year the condenser goes out on me, one month short of the five year warranty. However, that doesn't seem to matter because the condenser isn't covered under the five year warranty! So now I have to buy a new condenser or just start over with a new unit, when I should have been able to rely on this product for many years - I am not a happy camper!!!!

Date created: 2008-09-03 Name: Ruether
Location: Davis Spring, Austin, Texas

" Carrier Air conditioning unit 2002 model"
We built this home in July 2002 and the Carrier A/C unit is not cooling and working properly and has slow leak last year we replaced a coil because of this in the other unit and now they found a pin sized leak in this unit and its only 6 years old. I thought A/C units last longer than that . DO NOT BUY CARRIER or buy an new home with Carrier Air conditioning units.

Date created: 2008-07-20 Name: M. Follette
Location: Round Rock,TX

"Carrier Review"
We did not choose a Carrier, our builder did. It only came with a 1 year warranty on labor and 5 year warranty on parts. It quit working the 2nd year after it was installed. After many visits, the Repair Company found a leak in the coil, replaced that part and now it is not working again. It is ridiculous that I have to pay any amount of money to have this piece of junk fixed when it is barely 4 years old. It has never worked properly and I am so frustrated. Do not buy one of these pieces of total junk.

Date created: 2008-07-10 Name: Brian
Location: Fresno, CA

"Carrier 48SX024-60"
Have had a Carrier 48SX024-60 "Dual-Pack" roof unit for 11 years now. No major problems, some weak areas I and my A/C tech have noticed, insulation comes loose inside the furnace section. Has to be reattached with screwed down plates or aluminum duct tape. Condenser fan/coil design is questionable, it is a "pusher" design with the fan/shroud pushing air through the coils then out past the compressor and out the other side. Condenser coils must be kept clean or compressor shut downs will occur (especially in 100+ degree weather). All newer designs have a "puller" fan design. 11 years with no R-22 loss.

Date created: 2008-07-09 Name: R. Miller
Location: Arlington, TX

"Texas 1979 Carrier 38GS"
This central 3 1/2 ton, A/C - furnace was installed when the 2200 sq ft house was built in 1979! It is finally (last summer and this) not able to cut the mustard, will only cool us to 80 degrees last summer and this summer, and our bills were high - probably a 6 Seer if we're lucky. (Therefore, I am shopping for a new system.) My very experienced HVAC friend sees some design flaws in the way the system was installed, and in the furdown system (rather than ducts) in this house; that could have improved its efficiency. Other than that, who can argue with 29 years of service? After reading reviews on many different units, I feel lucky to have had one last this long; and it is with intrepidation that I purchase another. They don't make 'em like they used to.