Consumer Reviews of CARRIER central air conditioners

Read more about CARRIER central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-07-27 Name: Judy Tyler
Location: Texas

"Unhappy Consumer"
I did my research before I bought this unit in Oct of 2007. Within the first year, the thermostat went out. Took two weeks to get it replaced. The motor just burnt out and the unit is less than 3 years old. Four days in Texas in July is not pleasant. Don't know when it will get fixed. Would not recommend, nor would I buy another Carrier.

Date created: 2010-07-24 Name: Tired of the bull!

"HVAC Supplier"
How much is Carrier paying you say your bullsh..? People do their research but like you, companies pay to have their name appear like they are the best!

Date created: 2010-07-23 Name: Denise

"Have had 4 - all crap"
We replaced two Carrier units in our old house after just 4 and 5 years respectively and have two in our new house. All 4 are junk. It's not just one part at fault. We've had compressors fail, air handlers fail, leaks galore and all sorts of other problems. Given the choice, I would never install one of these in my home.

Date created: 2010-07-23 Name: M. Yokonowsky

"new installation"
Agree 120% with the comments that the new Carrier is not like the old. To the folks who said you get what you pay for -- I paid $11k to have my second Carrier installed last year and the installer was supposedly Carrier certified. Have had nothing but problems with it, and NO SUPPORT from Carrier. Finally threatened to take the installer to court and said I would be sending a subpeona to Carrier. The unit was replaced. Still doesn't cool like the old one. When I was getting bids, installers were suggesting I go with other brands. No more Carriers for me.

Date created: 2010-07-23 Name: Mike S.

"Do your homework"
I worked in the industry for many years, Carrier (and Trane) are the best bar none. Most of the others are owned by the parents of these two. Proper sizing, application and installation is key to determining if a system that lasts for the summer or a generation. Ask questions about the experience and skill level of the installing techs and challenge the dealer to make sure the good techs are present and not out running service calls that day, leaving poorly paid half wits do the installation.

Date created: 2010-07-18 Name: C. Morris - OHIO contractor

"HVAC UNION CONTRACTOR STEAMFITTER"
The number one complaint is coil freeze up. The number one problem we find is incorrect installation. I know, you all have heard this before. When we install in a new home, everything is new. We vacuum system down to 350 Microns, which let us know if we have any leaks or non-condensibles. I've seen reputable companies with bbb awards skip this process or not do this with micron gauges. This is a MUST! Second, we purge with nitrogen. Then we charge system. Now, with all systems having TXV's for the metering device, we have to sub cool the system for correct charge. A lot of technicians feel this is too time consuming and just feel the suction line (big pipe) and if it's cold, they think it's working. Wrong, we use a chart and a digital thermister and check liquid line. A lot of complaints about evaporators rusting is due to unit being over charged with refrigerant, or duct work not sized correctly. We size ducts with a ductulator. A/Cs that are grossly overcharged will condensate a lot, more than normal. I do find manufacturer defects in all brands and it upsets us that some companies cut costs by using sub standard materials. We can find these issues at start up by sub cooling or super heating equipment. I also read about faulty txv metering devices. A lot of these I find are over heated with the torch during install. I'm sorry not every tech is trained nor is the owner of some of these HVAC businesses. It is giving everyone a bad name. There is a set up for furnace also. It is called temp. rise. We set that with blower speed. It is too hard to find a good contractor that is going to go by these industry standards, but if you ask questions about sub cooling and super heat and watch their reactions, that should let you know if you have a good tech. It is not always mfr's issue. Good luck!

Date created: 2010-07-17 Name: Bob Wiss

"Underpowered 2 ton AC"
This is the 2nd summer I have had my new Infinity System. The furnace works great....but the ac is horrible. If the temp is above 80, it runs constantly and then the temp starts creeping up to close to 80 in the house in the late afternoon. I had the service man out the first year. He found an internal heat panel to be out of place (he said it must have been a Friday afternoon manufacture). The fan however never goes above low speed. My feet freeze....and the rest of the house is sweltering. I complained again and my installer said this is a problem with the Carrier 2 ton units....they run at a low speed and never cool the house. He has agreed to jury rig a circuit board to "fool" the a/c unit that I have, a 3 ton unit and the fan will run at a higher speed. Come on CARRIER>>>>>your units are not what they claim as I sit here and type this letter with sweat coming down my face.

Date created: 2010-07-17 Name: Terry K
Location: California

"FORTUNATE"
Compared to what I am reading, we seem very fortunate. Bought our home new 20 yrs ago and it came with 2 Carrier units. The smaller one for upstairs has received the most use and has been repaired 2-3 times, always minor items. Only in this latest California heat wave, the downstairs unit is not cooling. We are now considering replacement. fyi to all regarding sites such as these that post customer comments; the negative comments will always outweight the positive ones because we want everyone to know when we are dissatisfied but usually do not comment when we are happy with what we have. Do as much homework as you can by talking to many sources before you make your choice.

Date created: 2010-07-15 Name: GF
Location: Arizona

"Can't remember model, (14 seer puron)"
We never had a problem, knock on wood. I've learned from my experience to never buy their newest model. We always purchase the 2nd or 3rd model below their best. I had mine for five years but we sold our home moved to Arizona and I have to say, all manufacturers screw thier clients when it comes to pricing their units in this state! The same a/c that I purchased for $3,500 installed is nearly three times the price and it doesn't come trimmed in gold.

Date created: 2010-07-05 Name: James Burson

"Rusty Carrier evaporator coils, maunfacturer defect"
Used a reputable builder and HVAC installer 5 years ago on new home installation of Carrier Puron system. Almost 5 years to the day, the coolant leaked out due to rusting evaporator coil. Unbelievable! A manufactured part that is supposed to be wet most of the time rusts through. That, folks, is poor design and cutting costs at the manufacturing end, not poor installation. My repairman said he has had to replace dozens of these coils in the last few years. Carrier is supposedly proud of their new "Rust-proof" coil -- which mine should have been in the first place. This explains about 80% of the dissatisfied comments I have read about Carrier tonight. If yours is still under warranty, insist on having your rusty coil replaced with the rust-proof model, otherwise you will certainly be replacing it again in short order. Color me not happy about having to spend about $1000 after 5 years on something that is all Carrier's fault. The older Carriers may have been good quality, but the ones they were making over the last 5-7 years are crapola!