Consumer Reviews of CARRIER central air conditioners

Read more about CARRIER central air conditioners

Date created: 2014-08-07 Name: Tina
Location: Louisville LY

"Waste of money!"
We purchased our A/c and furnace combined unit in December of 2012. It was installed on 19th December 2012 and by this August (6th August 2104) the condenser failed and we had no air. A fuse also blew. The unit is a little over 19mths old! Our previous combined unit which was 45 yrs old when we moved into our home did not even start to go wrong until it was 48 yrs old! It fina;lly failed altogether at the age of 51 yrs! Do not get this model; if any made by "Carrier". The technician that came out to replace the compressor and fuse told me that "Carrier" are infamous for manufacturing faultyu compressors and that it drives him crazy. It was not surprised when he found ouyt the cause of the problem., Stay away from "carrier" at all costs. They will on;y cost you more money in the long run....or even the short run, in our case. They are useless!

Date created: 2014-07-28 Name: john raggi
Location: New Jersey

"Needed Puron after 1st year"
5 ton unit. Condenser is approximately 4 years old. Added 6 pounds of Puron in May 2014 and now on July 27th not functioning. If somebody wants to start a class action suit, I am in. Pissed in Green Brook

Date created: 2014-07-26 Name: Loren Armour
Location: Welington, FL

"Carrier Performance series installed by Sansone"
Worst ever!!!! Sansone took out my Trane that was not cooling quickly after 10 years and replaced it with a $7,000 tag for indoor fv4cn(b,f)005l and outdoor 24acb736a**31 new . Takes 5 hours to get from 75 degrees to 70 degrees at night!!!!! WORST MISTAKE EVERY TO TRUST THESE PPL!!!!! NOW THEY TELL ME IT'S NOT DESIGNED FOR TO GO TO 70 THIS TIME OF THE YEAR WTF!!!!!!

Date created: 2014-07-15 Name: Colin McArthur
Location: Franklin, TN

"Garbage Replaced at 6 Years"
Bought a 4 year old home in late 2012 with the main hvac unit being a packaged Carrier 48sd. One year later started making loud noise as (10/13) the interior of the unit was so rusted the small interior fan motor was hitting the plate holding the motor. Plate and motor replaced. $1300 repair. Carrier and my hvac annual contractor refunded $300. Big deal! Yesterday, 7/14/14 the ac went out. Copper tube from compressor leaking. Contractor wanted $1200+ to repair. Decided on a new trane, a brand I have had years of excellent service with in Florida and sc coastal area, two places tough on HVACs. Never another Carrier.

Date created: 2014-06-25 Name: rd
Location: fruita, co.

"5 year warranty on $7000?"
Brand new home in 2007 with 2 Carrier units installed- 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs. Upstairs one is out and Carrier tells me they only guarantee for 5 years. Homeowners, just so you know. We are retired on a fixed income and now have to face replacing a unit that as far as estimates go anywhere from $6500- to $8500.

Date created: 2014-06-24 Name: Mr. J Morgan
Location: MD

"Inferior Carrier Evaporator"
I bought a Carrier central ac in April 2005 and had the same company that installed it providing maintenance every year. Fast forward to June 2014 when the ac went out. After the company sent a tech to inspect, he concluded that the txv was shut and needed to be replaced. He could not tell me anything else that could be wrong until the txv was replaced. I found that odd but agreed to let him replace it and paid for it plus the refrigerant needed. Then the next bad news: there is a leak in the evaporator (indoor coil). I was furious because at that point I felt that I was being taken advantage of. My supposedly good quality Carrier indoor unit is now bad, barely 9 years after installation and even after receiving yearly maintenance; I guess that throws the concept of regular upkeep out the window. Yearly maintenance did not make a difference in my case, or it was badly done, or I had a low quality Carrier unit, etc., etc. My recommendation to anyone out there is to watch out and stay away from Carrier. Lastly, I will be shopping for a new maintenance company because I just don't believe that they could not determine what else was wrong with my unit before replacing an expensive part. They gave me the impression of being incompetent to put it diplomatically.

Date created: 2014-06-16 Name: S Burkhart
Location: Danbury CT

"NEVER AGAIN"
This all started bad when this single package unit was installed in my mobile home. This is not a split system. The duct work was never connected by the hvac company. I had a huge hole in the floor under the intake grill. Next was the thermostat battery connections that broke off when putting new batteries in.Than came the dual capicitor going last year at a cost of over $300.00. Now the blower motor is shot at a cost of $700.00 just for the motor another $300.00 to put it in. All one year out of the 5 year warranty. I called Carrier and though they were sympathetic, offered no explanation and said there were no recalls or problems with the components I had trouble with. I am on a fixed income and this is difficult. I am unhappy with the hvac company for their delays in showing up and their total lack of knowledge about these single package mobile home units. Of course they were happy to take my $4k for the install of the unit. The tech had no idea the blower motor was outside in the unit itself. I am at their mercy for ordering the motor and insatllation and I am afraid to voice a concern at this point. If you know anything about mobile homes when their is no a/c its like being in a bread box out in the sun!My previous unit was a Miller that was 25 years old with No problems!stay away from Carrier!

Date created: 2014-06-15 Name: Steve. K
Location: Maryland

"Listen up People"
I have been in the hvac industry for 15 years. I started out as a Installer and now I am in sales. I worked for a company that paid by a guaranteed 40 hours a week, 8hrs a day. So I didn't care about you as a homeowner because the faster I installed your system the sooner I could go home and be with my family, or make additional money to do another install the same day. Meaning I was skipping steps in the Install process by not pulling a deep vacuum on the system or properly cleaning the lines. I don't care what brand you install almost all of them are the same, and yes some are better then other's. So for all you idiots out there that think you got a bad piece of equipment you're an idiot and you got sold. Make sure when you choose an hvac company you trust your salesman and a good company will give you guarantees to protect your home and your investment. And one more thing: why do you think when you buy a new home your equipment doesn't last as long? Because the builder got his three bids and he chose the cheapest company and you get what you pay for.

Date created: 2014-06-11 Name: Eva
Location: Toronto, ON

"Buyer beware"
I bought this unit new - and a valve on the unit failed causing all the refrigerant to leak out of it. The $10 valve was covered under warranty but the $300 service call (for labour and tests) plus $300+ in leaked refrigerant was not covered. Called Carrier and their customer service "manager" John kept saying "there's nothing we can do". Yah - so buyer beware. I thought Carrier was a good brand. Never again.

Date created: 2014-06-03 Name: Steve
Location: MA

"Just Junk"
First year: motor replacement. Second year: low on Puron. Third year: low on Puron. Fourth year: found the coil leaking and the drip pan cracked. Fifth year: motor module bad. Two weeks later there's grinding in the air handler. Waiting for service. I am out well over $1000 dollars and sitting in the heat. Oh yes, Carrier is great. Never again.