Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-12-02 Location: Duluth, MN

"American Standard Allegiance 11 central air conditioner: Just right"
I had the American Standard Allegiance 11 central air conditioner installed in my home 8 years ago at the same time I replaced my gas forced air furnace. The air conditioner installation was the first time I have used central air conditioning in my home. While the Duluth, Minnesota area does not have a lot of air conditioning needs, averaging around 200 cooling degree days per year compared to 9000 heating degree days per year, the American Standard Allegiance 11 has capably handled the job. The outside compressor and fan unit sits on a thick pad on our patio; a couple of small openings were made in the house to accommodate the refrigerant lines to the coil inside the furnace plenum and the electrical hook-up. The home is a 1950s style single story ranch with 1080 square feet and has two huge windows facing south and west so it gets plenty of sunlight; mine is specifically a 2 ton cooling capacity model based off the needs factoring in the size of the house, windows, and local climate history. The entire air conditioner and furnace system is controlled by a programmable thermostat that must be manually switched between cooling and heating modes. The unit will typically be used for the first time in May each year and has seen occasional use into October on a few warm days. Most days it comes on in late afternoon and runs through the early evening when the house gets maximum sun exposure; during July and August we have it set where it usually comes on a second time right before bed to allow for cool, comfortable sleeping. Air flow is adequate, though it uses the heating ducts which are near the floor as is usually the case in northern areas where heating is the primary need and as such has a tougher job to do. I have not needed any repairs to the unit. My only complaint is that on the hottest of days it can have a tough time keeping up in the late afternoons, however this has only been on a couple of days where the outside temperature exceeded 95 degrees and it did have the house comfortable by bedtime those days. There are fancier and more efficient units, but for northern Minnesota's needs the American Standard Allegiance 11 gets the job done. I'd consider the brand again when it comes time to replace this one.

Date created: 2011-11-16 Name: Disatisfied in Dallas
Location: Texas

"Dissatisfied in Dallas"
I purchased this unit in April 2011. It was very hot in Texas this summer and I never felt this unit was working efficiently. In September the system broke down while I was on vacation. Came back to a very hot home. Called on Sunday but they couldn't fix it because no parts were available. Was fixed on Monday but went out again a week later. A defective evaporator coil was the problem. American Standard does not stand by their product. The dealer bears the burden of parts and labor and customer satisfaction. Very dissatisfied. Don't believe the advertising!!

Date created: 2011-09-19 Name: Johnny Swank

"Solid performance"
Unit came with home and has never been serviced. 2.5 ton unit for upstairs in a home with no wall insulation and minimal ceiling insulation. The unit is unable to maintain a constant temperature of 74 in North Carolina summer because of the lack of insulation but not for lack of trying. The unit runs non-stop during the day and pumps out cold air and has never once had a problem...knock on wood!

Date created: 2011-09-06 Name: Tom
Location: Tampa, Florica

"JUNK"
Three years of Junk. Compressor replaced in year two for $405 in labor and Leaking Coil replaced in year 3 for $705.

Date created: 2011-08-17 Name: S. Retrum
Location: Austin, Texas

"Leaking coil on 2 1/2 year old unit"
Service called when unit stopped cooling. Serviceman found coils all iced up. When all ice finally melted a day later, he found the coil was leaking refrigerant and needed replacement. Coil was covered under warranty, but refrigerant and labor was not... cost me $1200. When I called American Standard, all they asked is if I had bought the extended warranty. They advertise reliability, but I guess that is not so, a/c units are basically "refrigerators". If Whirlpool or the other refrigerator manufacturers has these problems, they would either cover them under warranty or they'd be out of business!

Date created: 2011-08-01 Name: John Parker
Location: Houston, Texas

"American Standard AC unit"
Very unhappy with unit. Goes out 3 to 4 times a year. Have extended warranty but the company either does not return calls, tells you they are booked for 3 to 4 days, or tries to upsell you on other items not covered by warranty. Very unreliable, poorly made appliance. Unprofessional business practices from dealer / repair company as well. Would never recommend to anyone.

Date created: 2011-07-15 Name: David Beattie
Location: Edmond, OK

"A/S = poor quality"
My unit is a pos! It worked great for 2 years, then flame sensor went out. Next year the blower & control board went out. This year it is not cooling much at all. It has a 2 stage compressor, and it just runs constantly. It is not uncommon for it to run for 12 to 14 hours without ever shutting off. Service techs come out and say that everything is fine. A bunch of crap. They replaced the t-stat and it worked for 2 days. Now it is back to running without ceasing. For some reason when the unit goes into low power mode it will just not shut off even though the temp goes below the set point. I am waiting for it to blow up & then the extended warranty hopefully will replace it. Save yourself a lot of stress -- buy another brand!

Date created: 2011-07-08 Name: Joe Spinola
Location: ELIZABETH PA.

"What was I thinking"
I let someone talk me into this junk!!! Why? Last off brand unit 23 years old never serviced once until this year when she died. Brand New American Standard system AC and Furnace installed on 6/16/2011 1st service 6/24/2011 next service call was 7/3/2011 that is when the compressor went today is Friday 7/8/2011 and I am still waiting for my to be shipped over night compressor from American Standard. Their web site preaches care and reliable. And we say only Lawyers and car salesman lie. they should be sued after we buy a car to run over this piece of junk that is broke more then it works. Now i am worried what is going to happen with the furnace?

Date created: 2011-07-07 Name: Stephen jackson
Location: Dallas,TX

"worth every penny"
I bought two units at a previous home and one unit at my present one. They cut the utility bill by 1/3. The home is much more comfortable than before and the Clean Effects really gets the lint out of the air. There was a problem with one of the units from my previous home and it was repaired the same day free of charge because the warranty was transfered. These are the best units on the market, not inexpensive, but worth every penny.

Date created: 2011-06-14 Name: charlene triplett
Location: newport news va

"we cant afford the up keep of the repairs"
I brought this unit in 2009 when I retired my husband has lung cancer. the unit goes out twice a year and now it needs a compresser the service people are very rude and unreliable