Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2012-07-16 Name: Bill F.
Location: Washington, DC

"Not Great"
Purchased two new systems in spring 2004, began experiencing problems with the Condensing Units in 2011 (7 years). One case the capacitor failed and another case the fan motor burned out and both motor and capacitor had to be replaced. Would likely try a different brand next time as I generally haven't been that pleased with the output.

Date created: 2012-07-11 Name: Brad H
Location: Chicago IL

"proud customer of American Standard"
First off I am a proud customer of American Standard products in my home. I am also a service engineer for an American standard dealer I am not employed by American Standard. I have read a lot of problems here concerning equipment. Most are silly.I am reminded just how much people don't understand the design installation and maintenance of hvac systems. In this business you get what you pay for and it sounds like a lot of you payed for shotty installs and missized systems not a s fault. Again I don't work for them. You as a customer should never have to contact as yourself your service dealer if repeatable should take care of you from year one to ten and beyond. So where are they I ask some of you. I Have read about condensers being damaged by dogs, hahah yeah that happens to every manufacturing of ac units copper or aluminum. Now you may have a part warranty, if labor is not covered the service company not american standard might charge your labor to repair, this is true for carrier and most manufacturer. If it is under warranty your company should cover (freon) but it is individual company's that make that call not American Standard. If your dog or other rodents chew wires that's not a design flaw and again every manufacturer has the same problem and not covered by warranty. Now the major problems listed can be related to install problems i.e overcharged systems, incorrect coils, incorrect refrigerant used systems not being evacuated properly line size to name a few and yes even a few manufacturer related problems. These All go back to who installed it. American Standard does not install or service anything they just make the systems and ship them out.There customer service is excellent if you are a contractor. It is true of every major brand they don't want to talk to you they want to deal with a professional who is working on your behalf, and if they are not, time for a new service company. Listen things break that happens but if the reason is never found it will break again. So befor you come down hard on any brand of field installed system, do your math ask questions challenge people and their knowledge it will make a world of difference now and later. You can have a Roles Royce put togeather by the lowest bidder and sold at any lot but you might as well just buy any car from a lot.

Date created: 2012-07-03 Name: J Vohs

"Piece of crap"
5 years old and quit working--$2000 to fix--JUNK

Date created: 2012-06-22 Name: R. Trezza
Location: South Plainfield,NJ

"Scrap It"
Had this unit installed three years ago, unit needed freon had to pay 200.00. Went home yesterday with temperature 105 with heat index inside house temperature was 83 degrees went outside tried to cool unit with a hose didn't work, went over to unit an gave it the old Fonzie slap and low and behold unit turned on American Standard should stay in the toilet bowl business because this unit is a piece of s--T.

Date created: 2012-05-21 Name: joyce coleman
Location: tennessee

"4wcx3030a1000aa"
We were in the 2010 flood in Tennessee, were told unit was under warranty. The coil unit went out and it is under warranty but American Standard will not cover any labor. We have paid almost $800.00 for labor. Very bad company -- they should cover all expenses. Do not buy this brand -- garbage.

Date created: 2012-05-05 Name: Brian Burton
Location: Sherman, TX

"Homeowner"
Best ac/heatpump unit I have owned, repair free for 18 yrs. Added freon and may get another 18 yrs.

Date created: 2012-04-01 Name: Danalogy
Location: Tampa, FL

"American SUBStandard Sucks!"
We bought the more expensive American Standard a/c because we thought it was going to be a more reliable unit. Boy were we wrong. It is now out for the second time in 5 years. If I had it to do all over again I'd do more research before making this decision. And I would certainly never buy an American Standard a/c unit. Based on the reviews I've read, and my own experience, I think that they need to change their name to American Substandard.

Date created: 2012-03-15 Name: Bob
Location: TN

"Scum warranty!"
Purchased a 15 Seer American Standard unit. Purchased full 10 year warranty that would cover both parts and labor. Water pump on the unit tears up after 1 year and scum bags refuse to fix it and say it is not covered under the warranty (that I paid hundreds of dollars extra for). These scum also try and charge you when you sell your house to transfer the warranty to another person. I am disgusted with American Standard and will never purchase their products again.

Date created: 2012-02-23 Name: Bill Adams
Location: Salem, OR

"Air unit exploded day of installation"
Quality control appears to be a thing of the past with this company. My elderly mother had an air unit installed yesterday. About 40 minutes after the techs left her house, the unit exploded and the fire department had to put out the fire. Fire captain looked at the unit and found that it had improper welds. This company used to make quality products, but as the economy tightens and companies are trying to compete with the price of overseas products, it appears that quality control has been set aside in the name of profit.

Date created: 2011-12-02 Location: Duluth, MN

"American Standard Allegiance 11 central air conditioner: Just right"
I had the American Standard Allegiance 11 central air conditioner installed in my home 8 years ago at the same time I replaced my gas forced air furnace. The air conditioner installation was the first time I have used central air conditioning in my home. While the Duluth, Minnesota area does not have a lot of air conditioning needs, averaging around 200 cooling degree days per year compared to 9000 heating degree days per year, the American Standard Allegiance 11 has capably handled the job. The outside compressor and fan unit sits on a thick pad on our patio; a couple of small openings were made in the house to accommodate the refrigerant lines to the coil inside the furnace plenum and the electrical hook-up. The home is a 1950s style single story ranch with 1080 square feet and has two huge windows facing south and west so it gets plenty of sunlight; mine is specifically a 2 ton cooling capacity model based off the needs factoring in the size of the house, windows, and local climate history. The entire air conditioner and furnace system is controlled by a programmable thermostat that must be manually switched between cooling and heating modes. The unit will typically be used for the first time in May each year and has seen occasional use into October on a few warm days. Most days it comes on in late afternoon and runs through the early evening when the house gets maximum sun exposure; during July and August we have it set where it usually comes on a second time right before bed to allow for cool, comfortable sleeping. Air flow is adequate, though it uses the heating ducts which are near the floor as is usually the case in northern areas where heating is the primary need and as such has a tougher job to do. I have not needed any repairs to the unit. My only complaint is that on the hottest of days it can have a tough time keeping up in the late afternoons, however this has only been on a couple of days where the outside temperature exceeded 95 degrees and it did have the house comfortable by bedtime those days. There are fancier and more efficient units, but for northern Minnesota's needs the American Standard Allegiance 11 gets the job done. I'd consider the brand again when it comes time to replace this one.