Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2014-01-08 Name: Ben Castera
Location: Miami FL

"Nothing but trouble"
I would not recommend buying the high tech machines. They cost more and every time there is something they have to get the parts from the factory!!! I cannot believe that American Standard does not have a decent set of parts somewhere in South Florida!!! My problems so far have been: - defective thermostat (remember this is a high tech machine that talks to the various components therefore you cannot use any normal thermostat) - Freeze switch (and I am in Miami!!!) - now motor of the indoor unit And the unit has never been removing humidity like it was supposed to do... in fact it is dripping water.

Date created: 2013-09-05 Name: mike
Location: st. louis

"Aluminum Coils"
Trane American Standard tells you that aluminum coils are efficient. Don't fall for that line of crap. It's just much cheaper than copper, plus they are prone to leaks and cannot be field repaired. The spine fins which I call fuzz help with the inferior heat transfer but they tend to be dirt magnets. Copper is the best by far, tell the truth ir! Copper, much more efficient, can be field repaired!

Date created: 2013-09-03 Name: S Leach
Location: Redding, CA

"Allegiance 14"
We moved into this rental house in early 2011. The A/C unit is from 2006. In the 3 summers we've been here, the compressor has gone bad twice and the coil once. Plus, when the coil went bad it leaked water in the attic, since the pan and drain were installed wrong. So the ceiling was ruined in my 5 year old daughter's room. Each of the outages has meant a 7-10 day stretch while we wait for parts from the east coast. So many millions of people here on the West Coast and not a single part?!?!?!?! It gets over 110 here almost every year and occasionally 115. But here we are on day 9 today waiting for the next compressor which will fail next summer!

Date created: 2013-07-26 Name: Steve Jones
Location: Woodville, Texas

"Disappointed"
Had Rainey A/C of Woodville, Texas install a new unit in 2006. It leaked from day one and continues to do so. It has a 10 year warranty but the dealer just patches the unit and will not replace it. Last week, a switch went out on the compressor and today the compressor would not start. Now I have a loud buzzing from the inside unit. The dealer said that it was probably a transformer and he would be out in two or three days to see about. I will never buy another American Standard anything and for sure not from Rainey A/C.

Date created: 2013-07-26 Name: D. Langwell
Location: Rancho Cordova, CA

"Poor Performance and Repair"
System is 10 and 1 month old. Bought the extended warranty. Unit had several service call since installed. Now, I have to replace TXV valve at a cost of over $1100. Warranty expired one month ago. American Standard says repairs are my problem. Would not recommend this product. Also would not recommend Energy Star Htg. in Elk Grove, California.

Date created: 2013-07-16 Name: J. Solomon
Location: Austin, TX

"Does Not Honor Warranty"
Less than 5 years in the coil froze. Unknown to me, the coil is manufactured by Aspen. Aspen will not honor the 5 year warranty (says it's up to the distributor) and American Standard will not honor the warranty (because they didn't manufacture the coil, just put a substandard piece of equipment in their unit).

Date created: 2013-06-26 Name: Charles W Smith
Location: Rockport Texas

"Leak in Condensing Coil"
I have a unit with a 10 year warranty. Less than 5 yrs into the life, my unit has a leak in the condensing coil. I understand leaks. What I don't understand is that it will take 5 days to get the warranted coil. That is not good service. I offered to buy a new unit that was available if I received a credit for the price of a new coil. I was told no. So I sit here and wait and sweat. There appears to be no concern for the customer in this organization. I have talked to competing brands who would have been willing to give a credit associated with the sale of a new unit. After my warranty expires, I will change to a competing brand.

Date created: 2013-04-26 Name: Richard Hollinggsworth
Location: Tucson Arizona 85716

"Richard"
Iím not a complainer, usually just a little disappointed reading the reviews finding so many other people have leak issues with evap coils from 2006 as I am. I installed the Evaporator w/Cabinet last August 2012 that was designed by American standard. The evap coil sprung a leak with no sign of vibration or installation errors that could have caused the leak. Iíve always been a supporter of the excellent quality with American Standards equipment as well as Trane. They both seem to have lost their touch with what made them successful so many years sacrificing their reputation for quality trying to compete with the cheaper units. I will be replacing my evap coil this weekend and due to the work involved I wonít take a chance on another American Standard coil.

Date created: 2013-04-01 Name: Chicagos Owner
Location: Indianapolis, IN

"5 Ton AC Unit"
This unit worked well for the past 7 years and now the compressor is broken and too expensive to fix. Buying a new unit is more cost effective. I am very dissatisfied with the longevity of this particular unit. Its hard to believe a shelf life of 7 years??? I would not buy this brand again, ever!

Date created: 2013-03-05 Name: Lisa
Location: Weston, Florida

"Horrible Product bought 2 units both down."
Purchased 2 new 3.5 ton units and installed around early 2006, both ac units broke down essentially same time right after 5 year warranty on evaporator coils. One coil 1100.00, then within two months the other coil 1150.00 to fix. Then the condenser coil same time, outside, under warranty but still cost 800.00 to fix, then motor on one unit 800.00 to fix, then the heater didn't work the one day out the year you need it in Florida. never purchase TRANE/American Standard. I spent 4000.00 per unit only 6 years ago, over 4000.00 in fixes. All bad.