Consumer Reviews of AMANA central air conditioners

Read more about AMANA central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-07-20 Name: Chris Lamb

"Will never buy Amana again"
We bought a new house with 2-5 ton Amana a/c 14 seer units. Supposedly, their best units. We closed in January 2007 and have had nothing but expensive trouble with the units. One entire unit has been replaced and rebuilt (compressor, fan motor, cooling vans, etc.) and now we are starting to have trouble with the other unit with failed cooling lines to the compressor. The Amana scam is that warranty is for replacement parts only and you get stuck with all the labor and coolant recharge costs. The unit that had the cooling vane replaced cost us almost a $1000 in labor, coolant and testing. The unit today with the failed line will cost us about $570 to replace a warranty part that failed. This set-up is criminal! What happened to building a quality product and standing behind it?

Date created: 2010-07-03 Name: Paul Amodeo

"ammana exterior air conditioner condenser package"
Base of the exterior cabinet is rusting away in chunks. Contacted Amana and sent them photos. Their determination is caused by salt water corrosion as we are next to a canal. The picture I sent showed a pipe mast that telescopes and is all rusty. That mast is 30 yrs old and was used and rusty when I put it up but that's their excuse. My question is why are the 10,000 competitive units not rusting out. Those are mounted the same way next to the salt water canals. The local dealer/installer that put it in originally says it is from a water softener. I have lived in this house since 1988 and we do not have a water softener. You are faking to back out of the responsibility for inferior steel in the units fabrication.

Date created: 2010-07-02 Name: W. Freeman

"Getting Worried"
My 4 ton unit was installed 6/23/2010 which was Wednesday. By Friday, it stopped coming on. The company we chose included a 10 year parts and labor warranty. We pay nothing for them to come fix it. On Friday (6/25/2010), they came out and got it working again. On the following Monday (6/28), it stopped working again and they came out on Tuesday (6/29) and replaced wires that were damaged upon install. The problem was the thermostat wire and the others in that cable were ruined. The yellow wire was completely torn in two. Luck of the draw made it work the two days that it did. They came out again today because although the blower works, it was hot air coming through. They couldn't find anything wrong and it worked when they got here so we're calling that call a wash. Needless to say, I'm suspicious of the product but fully understand when the installation is the issue and not the equipment. Lastly it makes noises like it's letting off steam or pressure late at night. That does still make me nervous.

Date created: 2010-06-29 Name: Mark

"Amana Solution"
Have Amana Central Air, 5 Ton unit, 16 seer, dual stage, Aspen Coil, and Amana Gas Furnace (80% eff, Dual Speed Blower). I needed 2 of each. Replaced 16 year old York equipment. Very happy, super quiet. Electric bills went down 30%. Getting the equipment installed correctly is a must. Warranty and price is what sold me on this solution.

Date created: 2010-06-26 Name: J. Blum

"Don't buy AMANA"
Every summer, it's the same thing. Top unit goes out. Then 1 week later, bottom unit goes out. I have replaced the capacitor every other year. Recharged the system every other year. Now, my fan motor just failed. Not happy about this unit as it gives me seasonal problems. Am going to proactively replace it.

Date created: 2010-06-23 Name: Armor Tech
Location: Cali

"Great Units"
I have worked on several brands of residential equipment throughout the years and Amana is definitely one of the better brands. The companies that I worked for were a little more expensive than the others due to ongoing training. Installing them correctly really comes into play as far as application, maintenance, properly sized equipment and properly sized ductwork. You get what you pay for. Unfortunately, some homeowners are blinded by the extremely low price, yet complain about a certain brand breaking down.

Date created: 2010-06-19 Name: S. Davis

"Replacing Amana A/C Compressor After 3 Years"
I've had one problem after another with my Amana a/c units. The units are just three years old and I've already had to replace a compressor on one of the units. I will never buy another home with an Amana product.

Date created: 2010-06-17 Name: Fred Thompson (Amana Dealer)

"Read reviews with a grain of salt"
We have been installing Amana AC's and furnaces for over 5 years and have had very few problems with these systems. If they are installed by a qualified contractor, they will perform just as well if not better than any other brand. Installation is a critical factor when installing any HVAC system. A poor installation will result in poor performance and system failures regardless of the brand. As for the Amana warranty, we have never had any problems with Amana standing behind their product warranty. If you are being charged for repairs on products under warranty, then you are being ripped off by your contractor, not Amana. I suggest you find a reputable contractor that is not going to charge you and then also get reimbursed by Amana for the warranty work. Unfortunately, many of you homeowners simply hire the cheapest low bidder and your system is installed by some hack, therefore you have performance issues and get ripped off when you call them back because they, not Amana, do not honor the warranty. Remember, you get what you pay for! "Cheapest" price usually equals largest cost in the end. Pay for a quality installation, not a cheap one, and you'll get better performance and better service!

Date created: 2010-06-15 Name: A. Hannegan
Location: Memphis

"Awful!!!!"
This thing is horrible! I paid $7,000 for new unit last summer. It made tremendous banging sounds when it switched on and off and ran very loudly. They replaced the whole thing within the first month, and this unit does exactly the same thing. It now appears to have fully died, as it is doing nothing in the Memphis heat, not coming on at all. Lemon, Lemon, Lemon!

Date created: 2010-05-31 Name: C. Sparks

"Mrs"
I am very disappointed with our Amana heating and air conditioner. We have 2 units; 1 for the downstairs and 1 for the upstairs. We have had Amana 3.5 years now. We have had to replace the coils every year since our home was built. The bottom units always fails at the beginning of summer and the 2nd units usually goes about about a week later. When they are working, they cool all of the rooms except the master bedroom and bath. We are now considering getting rid of these 2 lemons.