Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Consumer Reviews of AMANA central air conditioners

Read more about AMANA central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-08-12 Name: MED
Location: COLORADO

"AMANA= HORRIBLE"
We purchased a Amana central air conditioning unit 10 years ago. We live in CO. and only use it two months out of the year. After the first year we began having problems - including many electrical components, the fan needing to be replaced and adding freon numerous times. Now, the compressor went out and we need to either replace it which is 2K or purchase a new unit. I called the compliance center which basically said there was nothing they could do. If you want to make a large investment only to continue to pay your HVAC person a few hundred every year to then have to purchase another unit after 10 years- AMANA/Goodman is your company! Save your money and time- purchase a different make

Date created: 2010-08-09 Name: C. Pobjecky

"Amana A/C"
I have had an Amana a/c and furnace for 12 years and almost to the day of the 12th year my a/c went out. Going to replace with another brand because the cost to fix was just about the price of a new one. The service area that I bought the furnace and a/c from went out of business. Hopefully my furnace will last a little longer.

Date created: 2010-08-05 Name: D. Glover
Location: Oklahoma

"Not Sure WHat to do with this thing"
I purchased an Amana 3-1/2 ton system in September of 2008. Since that time, the contractor has gone out of business. The contractor that took over his customers (franchise) has been out 5 times this summer alone for various issues (not cooling, freezing, supposedly dirty compressor). It's hot here in Oklahoma and the system I purchased I believe is a piece of crap, that I seem to be stuck with. If a company offers you a no lemon guarantee on these units, run!!!!!

Date created: 2010-08-05 Name: Laurence Lareau

"30 Year Tech Tells You This Advice:"
99%+ of the time, when you have compressor or other problems it's an installation issue. How can the engineers of ANY brand know what kind of idiot is installing your equipment? If it's installed according to specifications, it runs according to specifications, without problems. That is why you have excellent units (Good Installer) and troublesome units (Idiot Installer) in any brand. Amana makes some of the best A/C equipment made, and the absolute very best gas furnaces on the market.

Date created: 2010-07-28 Name: A. Amen
Location: Sacramento

"It must be the installer"
Replaced a 35 yr old unit with Amana 3 ton 16 seer 2 stage on roof. It is a combo heat/ac. This was 30 days ago. Very satisfied. It cools great even in a house from 1952 with no insulation in the walls. It is quiet. I live near Sacramento where it can get hot for extended periods. After reading all of the reviews, I went with the company that charged a little more but included a 15 yr parts and a 10 yr labor warranty. After checking out the company, Griener Heating and Air, found out they are completely customer satisfaction oriented. They pressure checked my ducting and repaired as needed. They also have called me since completion and made sure everything was to my satisfaction and thanked me for my business.

Date created: 2010-07-20 Name: Chris Lamb

"Will never buy Amana again"
We bought a new house with 2-5 ton Amana a/c 14 seer units. Supposedly, their best units. We closed in January 2007 and have had nothing but expensive trouble with the units. One entire unit has been replaced and rebuilt (compressor, fan motor, cooling vans, etc.) and now we are starting to have trouble with the other unit with failed cooling lines to the compressor. The Amana scam is that warranty is for replacement parts only and you get stuck with all the labor and coolant recharge costs. The unit that had the cooling vane replaced cost us almost a $1000 in labor, coolant and testing. The unit today with the failed line will cost us about $570 to replace a warranty part that failed. This set-up is criminal! What happened to building a quality product and standing behind it?

Date created: 2010-07-03 Name: Paul Amodeo

"ammana exterior air conditioner condenser package"
Base of the exterior cabinet is rusting away in chunks. Contacted Amana and sent them photos. Their determination is caused by salt water corrosion as we are next to a canal. The picture I sent showed a pipe mast that telescopes and is all rusty. That mast is 30 yrs old and was used and rusty when I put it up but that's their excuse. My question is why are the 10,000 competitive units not rusting out. Those are mounted the same way next to the salt water canals. The local dealer/installer that put it in originally says it is from a water softener. I have lived in this house since 1988 and we do not have a water softener. You are faking to back out of the responsibility for inferior steel in the units fabrication.

Date created: 2010-07-02 Name: W. Freeman

"Getting Worried"
My 4 ton unit was installed 6/23/2010 which was Wednesday. By Friday, it stopped coming on. The company we chose included a 10 year parts and labor warranty. We pay nothing for them to come fix it. On Friday (6/25/2010), they came out and got it working again. On the following Monday (6/28), it stopped working again and they came out on Tuesday (6/29) and replaced wires that were damaged upon install. The problem was the thermostat wire and the others in that cable were ruined. The yellow wire was completely torn in two. Luck of the draw made it work the two days that it did. They came out again today because although the blower works, it was hot air coming through. They couldn't find anything wrong and it worked when they got here so we're calling that call a wash. Needless to say, I'm suspicious of the product but fully understand when the installation is the issue and not the equipment. Lastly it makes noises like it's letting off steam or pressure late at night. That does still make me nervous.

Date created: 2010-06-29 Name: Mark

"Amana Solution"
Have Amana Central Air, 5 Ton unit, 16 seer, dual stage, Aspen Coil, and Amana Gas Furnace (80% eff, Dual Speed Blower). I needed 2 of each. Replaced 16 year old York equipment. Very happy, super quiet. Electric bills went down 30%. Getting the equipment installed correctly is a must. Warranty and price is what sold me on this solution.

Date created: 2010-06-26 Name: J. Blum

"Don't buy AMANA"
Every summer, it's the same thing. Top unit goes out. Then 1 week later, bottom unit goes out. I have replaced the capacitor every other year. Recharged the system every other year. Now, my fan motor just failed. Not happy about this unit as it gives me seasonal problems. Am going to proactively replace it.